DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got the new software release Tuesday night. Our first time recording and it locked up for good. No reset or anything could revive it.

Called D*. Sending out a new HR-20 via 2 day air. Possibly will be here Saturday, but I tend not to believe that.

They threw in 6 months of HBO and Starz. The D* rep was very helpful and pleasant.

We've had the receiver for ~3 weeks, and just wondering if it was the software upgrade that caused it or just a coincidence.

Thoughts?

· Icon
563 Posts
bonus20 said:
We just got the new software release Tuesday night. Our first time recording and it locked up for good. No reset or anything could revive it.

Called D*. Sending out a new HR-20 via 2 day air. Possibly will be here Saturday, but I tend not to believe that.

They threw in 6 months of HBO and Starz. The D* rep was very helpful and pleasant.

We've had the receiver for ~3 weeks, and just wondering if it was the software upgrade that caused it or just a coincidence.

Thoughts?
do you get the blue directv screen or any blue led light up ? unplug wait a minute and plug in and after 30 seconds press power and see if you see any LEDs ?
if so you may be able to download again assuming something was corrupted.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I dunno...

I've seen a lot more posts around here in the last two weeks about dead HR20s. It seems like less and less of a coincidence.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I dunno...

I've seen a lot more posts around here in the last two weeks about dead HR20s. It seems like less and less of a coincidence.
I agree....it looks like some set of circumstances has changed how the boot sequence works. It is not common (a small minority experience it), but it isn't exactly rare either. My bet is there is a software problem ...but it only happens every "x" times based on a ton of other variables that are user set.

This isn't the first of this type of bug and it won't be the last. Hopefully it will get resolved quickly. The reason a new box solves the problem, it that it has no "user" settings yet....a virgin box even with the new firmware should come up cleanly..then once "the just right" few things get user set, the box becomes vulnerable to the boot problem.

It is highly unlikely that it is a hardware problem.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Your logic is pretty sound, hasan, and I'm certainly not saying "it IS a hardware problem" but I would just add to that, the networking and OTA hardware has just been turned on. It's possible that there is an unforeseen bug in the software (possibly compounded from previous firmware) and it's just not dealing with the network and tuner chips properly.

I would think that if it is software-related, or even if the software developers can find a way out of it, it's probably rising in priority. D* is not going to sit back and keep throwing new HR20s to people left and right.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Your logic is pretty sound, hasan, and I'm certainly not saying "it IS a hardware problem" but I would just add to that, the networking and OTA hardware has just been turned on. It's possible that there is an unforeseen bug in the software (possibly compounded from previous firmware) and it's just not dealing with the network and tuner chips properly.

I would think that if it is software-related, or even if the software developers can find a way out of it, it's probably rising in priority. D* is not going to sit back and keep throwing new HR20s to people left and right.
You bet, very plausible.

· Mentor
34 Posts
My box too is suffering a horrible fate. After RBRs and RBRs and more RBRs, I painfullly called DTV and demanded a new box. My problem is that I may do the RBR and get a picture and all seems well, but the trick play buttons stop working. It seems when I click pause, for example, it causes the other buttons to stop working as well for a few seconds.

For example, I click MENU and do stuff. I click GUIDE and all is fine. I click PAUSE and nothing happens except the light on the HR20 blinks once and then the MENU and GUIDE stop working. After about 5-10 seconds, they start working.

So, I can record shows (maybe) cannot play them back.

So, after struggling with inept DTV CS and Tech Tier II support, I have a new box coming out.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone who had one shipped out, how long did it take?

I see my order is still "processing", but am hopeful it arrives tomorrow, with FedEx working tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.