DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or it could be just a very bad day.

The HR20 was working fine this morning. I shut the system down, and my wofe and I went to lunch.

Back from lunch the HR20 will not turn on. Not with the power button in the receiver or with the remote control. I red-button reboot it and it does boot up.

Within a few minutes I've opened the guide to pick another station. The HR20 freezes and will not respond to any remote control or panel face command. The tuner is apparently still working as I can see and hear the program in the small window, but I have no control of the HR20.

Power plug reboot.

Same as above. HR20 starts out OK, but soon freezes.

Red Button reboot with 02468 forced download.

Same as above. HR20 starts out OK, but soon freezes.

Is my HR20 broken for good? I've only had it since Thanksgiving and will demand a new one if there is no hope for this one.

Thanks

· Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. I rebooted one more time and so far the HR20 is still working.

There are doing alot of construction (digging) in my neighborhood and the other thing that stopped working at the same time as my HR20 was my DSL modem. It also took a reset to get it going again. So it's possible that there was a power surge or brown-out while we were out for lunch that caused the electronics to go sour for awhile.

9 Posts
4DThinker said:

There are doing alot of construction (digging) in my neighborhood and the other thing that stopped working at the same time as my HR20 was my DSL modem. It also took a reset to get it going again. So it's possible that there was a power surge or brown-out while we were out for lunch that caused the electronics to go sour for awhile.
4DThinker,

Good luck. I think my reset button is worn out. I've called D** this evening and demand a new receiver. If this new one starts locking up, I'll tell them to take it back and stick it where the sun doesn't shine! What a poorly build product.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
4DThinker said:

You should power your DVR with an uninterruptable power supply (UPS). A good 350VA - 500VA UPS costs less than $50 and provides much better protection than a surge protector, providing power for nearly an hour during a total blackout.

· Mentor
44 Posts
litzdog911 said:
You should power your DVR with an uninterruptable power supply (UPS). A good 350VA - 500VA UPS costs less than $50 and provides much better protection than a surge protector, providing power for nearly an hour during a total blackout.
Any suggestions on where to shop for a UPS in this price range? At that price, sounds like a good investment for the home computer(s), too!

LL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.