DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the unit for about 5 weeks or so now. I only have powered it off maybe 10 times totall. It's plugged into a UPS. The following happend like 3 times now over that period. Once after getting my 2nd sat cable installed I had to shut down (unplug) the unit to make room for the install. After I plugged the power cable back in the power light would go on for about 10 seconds then go off. I could hear the hd going. I pushed the power button, held down the power button, but no luck, left it alone. After about 15 minutes, i realized it's not going to come up. I unplugged, let it sit, this time when I plugged it back in and pushed power the wheel lit up and it went through the normal routines. Everything was good. Now a few days ago, i wanted to move the equipment and the same problem happend and I needed to wait and then try again. The unit temp is 112-116 so i dont think thats the issue.

Is this a problem, could the unit be failing? As long as it's on, I dont have any problems.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
flipper2006 said:
I've had the unit for about 5 weeks or so now. I only have powered it off maybe 10 times totall. It's plugged into a UPS. The following happend like 3 times now over that period. Once after getting my 2nd sat cable installed I had to shut down (unplug) the unit to make room for the install. After I plugged the power cable back in the power light would go on for about 10 seconds then go off. I could hear the hd going. I pushed the power button, held down the power button, but no luck, left it alone. After about 15 minutes, i realized it's not going to come up. I unplugged, let it sit, this time when I plugged it back in and pushed power the wheel lit up and it went through the normal routines. Everything was good. Now a few days ago, i wanted to move the equipment and the same problem happend and I needed to wait and then try again. The unit temp is 112-116 so i dont think thats the issue.

Is this a problem, could the unit be failing? As long as it's on, I dont have any problems.
This is a known, but not well understood bug on a very few units, don't take it as immanent failure. My suggestion, just don't turn it of. I have never turned mine off. D* will eventually find this little gremlin and you won't have to worry.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There has been a bug floating around that has caused the unit not to come out of standby. (which is different then yours)

But another user this week reported a similar thing... and that unplugging it, and trying again a few minutes later it worked.

I could not say if it is a software thing or a hardware thing.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
flipper2006 said:

Sorry about that, I misread your post. It may be what I referred to and it may not. I really have to read things more carefully!

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
This is a known, but not well understood bug on a very few units, don't take it as immanent failure. My suggestion, just don't turn it of. I have never turned mine off. D* will eventually find this little gremlin and you won't have to worry.
I try not to, but for example to enable/disable eSata you need power off.. You know what i mean? Normally, i wouldnt turn it off.

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There has been a bug floating around that has caused the unit not to come out of standby. (which is different then yours)

But another user this week reported a similar thing... and that unplugging it, and trying again a few minutes later it worked.

I could not say if it is a software thing or a hardware thing.
Earl,

unlrelated to what this problem, is but this had just came up 10 mins ago. Although using the ESATA drive is much quieter, its still not silent. When we sleep, we need no sound other then a fan, but not listening to the drive all night. My quick solution was right before powering off HR20/TV change to channel 94 (not in use) so the drive is quiet (it would be nice if the software would do this automatically without having to change to a non working channel ) but we thought, what if I take my HR10-250 and put that in bedroom, its nearly silent even with my ear on the case (it has a 500g Seagate) and take the HR20 from bedroom and put that in family room, that would solve noise problem. But then I realized that on the family tv there would be no OTA HD at all until it's enabled on the HR20. My current tv where the HR20 has built in OTA HD so when I want to watch, i can get switch the input on th remote. But on TV in family room, it would have MPEG4 stations, but NO OTA until it's enabled. Definite showstopper in plans. Just want to mention that since this argument just came up in the house. LOL. The other issue moving the HR20 and ESATA to family room is it's enclosed in a glass case and temp might get much warmer.

But like i said, if they could just find a way to quiet the drive (*unless it's recording*) when in standby mode.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
I had a similar problem last night.

I turned on my TV and the audio was "garbled". I pressed the yellow button thinking
it was the DD trying to pass through to my TV, but the thing didn't respond to the
yellow button. So I pulled the plug.

When I plugged it back on, the little blue power light came on dimmly and then went
off. It would never go through the actual startup sequence. After trying this 3 times
I finally just went to bed.

I woke up this morning and tried again, this time when the little blue power light
came on I pressed it........

Now it is working, and the audio sounds fine.

WEIRD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.