DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 3 or 4 months (started prior to HD GUI release), I'll come downstairs for my evening walk on my treadmill and my HR21 is totally unresponsive. I usually get down there before The Office finishes recording, so the recording light is on, but I can't get the HR21 to respond to the remote or the power button on the front panel. No choice but to give it the old red button reboot. Happens at least twice a month. Happened three weeks in a row in Jan. Happens only on Thursdays. Crazy. My HR20 works fine. What is going on?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
cwdonahue said:
For the last 3 or 4 months (started prior to HD GUI release), I'll come downstairs for my evening walk on my treadmill and my HR21 is totally unresponsive. I usually get down there before The Office finishes recording, so the recording light is on, but I can't get the HR21 to respond to the remote or the power button on the front panel. No choice but to give it the old red button reboot. Happens at least twice a month. Happened three weeks in a row in Jan. Happens only on Thursdays. Crazy. My HR20 works fine. What is going on?
Try turning the Power Saver off.

Rich
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
664 Posts
I think there is something else going on. I have two HR21s, both have Power Saver on and I always put them in standby after watching recordings. Neither have ever had this problem. It could be a disk beginning to fail.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
bpratt said:
I think there is something else going on. I have two HR21s, both have Power Saver on and I always put them in standby after watching recordings. Neither have ever had this problem. It could be a disk beginning to fail.
You've got the best of the 21s. We don't know which 21 the TS is referring to. Don't get caught up in "they're all the same", that isn't true. The 21-700s were very dependable DVRs, slow, but dependable. The only other 21 I've had any luck with is the 21-200.

Rich
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My receiver is an HR21-700. I never leave it in standby mode. If I'm not watching TV, I turn it off. Might buy the suggestion about a potential hard drive error. There are times this DVR gets very full. Most of the time it has 30-40% free space. I guess I'll try and track if free capacity is in a common range when I have this problem. Does the receiver do some sort of file system check on the hard drive when you do a red button reboot?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
cwdonahue said:
My receiver is an HR21-700. I never leave it in standby mode. If I'm not watching TV, I turn it off. Might buy the suggestion about a potential hard drive error. There are times this DVR gets very full. Most of the time it has 30-40% free space. I guess I'll try and track if free capacity is in a common range when I have this problem. Does the receiver do some sort of file system check on the hard drive when you do a red button reboot?
You'd have to be closer to 20% Available on the meter to see any bogging down of the HR I would think. If you're using a stock HDD, you might not see what you'd see using an external HDD.

Not quite sure of what the red button is supposed to do, but if I need to reboot a locked up HR, I pull the plug. Gently. I'd stay away from using the red button too often.

Rich
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top