DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not complaining but this started Friday night and I have been very happy this weekend. I still see my past upgrade as 0x255 from 7/16 so it doesn't appear to be from a software upgrade. My FF and 30 sec is instant compared to months of remote delays and choppy advancement. Any ideas why or how this improved?

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
Do you think it sped up after the resets from earlier in the week?

Mike

·
12,225 Posts
I've noticed this also. Seems like the frames speed by more quickly for FF.

Thought it was just my imagination ... :)

Now thinking maybe has to do with the new encoders that just announced.

HR21 does have a different chipset then the HR20. BCM7401 vs BCM7038/BCM7411.

Or just maybe our imagination ... or some other change ...

And maybe the new encoders are what caused the Monday problem ... just guessing ...

·
Godfather
291 Posts
I noticed this as well.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Once our satellite setup/aiming/BBC problems were fixed, our biggest complain has been slow trick play on OTA. Our non-OTA on two HR21s with esata have been fine from a trick play perspective. After I read this thread I did a quick test. OTA stuff recorded prior to Friday was still slow. OTA stuff recorded after Friday seemed to have more responsive trick play....

·
Mentor
36 Posts
What we see is that the FF speed on our HR21-700 is variable, and feels like it's related to disk buffering. Sometimes (and very often if we're recording two HD shows and watching a third) the FF is extremely slow, sometimes taking a second or more per displayed frame (this is at FF2). Other times we find that it fast forwards at an incredible speed, making FF2 feel more like FF3 or FF4.

Interestingly, if I pause while it's doing the slow FF2, wait a few seconds, and then resume FF2 it often rockets away at extra high speed, as if it had noted that it had fallen behind (while waiting for disk reads to complete?) and was now trying to catch up (out of a buffer of reads that completed during the pause?).

All in all it's kind of annoying. I mean, after record and play, FF is the next most important feature in a DVR, and having it feel so unstable is disconcerting.

·
Icon
1,071 Posts
In my case, after the lock-up fiasco last Monday the HR21 was considerably faster in remote response and on-screen graphics drawing. The effect was only temporary, though, as by Sunday it was back to its slower ways (though it has never really been too slow to the point of annoyance for me).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.