DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Icon
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my HR20 & AT9 dish installed on Monday. The installer was supposed to show up between 8:00 am and noon. At 12:05 I called local Ironwood Communications office to find out where he was. At first she couldn't find the order and asked if I was sure that the install was scheduled. They had called last Friday and left an automated message on my answering machine to confirm the date and time of the install and I told her this. She asked if this came from Ironwood or someone else. I played the message for her and she agreed that they had actually scheduled an installation for that morning. Then she found the order and told me that someone had called me earlier to tell me that the installer was running late, but that there was no answer. I told her that I had been home waiting for him since 8:00 am and I didn't get any phone calls and my both my caller ID answering machine and phone showed that I hadn't received any calls. I was told that the installer would be by between 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm.

The installer showed up at 2:20 pm (does that count as an installer actually arriving earlier than scheduled??) I told him that he should go ahead an install the dish and I would install the HR20. He put up the antenna relatively quickly mounted on a 2x12 that was already bolted to the side of the house where the 3 LNB dish was mounted. He mounted the two side brackets and when he was done, the dish was rock solid. He used the existing six cables going to the HR10 and SAT-60 in the family room and the second SAT-60 in the bedroom. He is very polite and talks about how much more involved it is to install the AT9 dishes. He powered on the HR20 and we waited a L-O-N-G time before we got the blue lights and saw anything on the screen. The first thing it did was indicate that it was downloading a software update (OxD8). This went to 96% and then indicated that there was a hardware error. He tried it again, same thing. He told me that they usually have a spare HR20 in the truck, but he came back empty handed, so he was going to have to drive over to their offices about 10 miles away and get another one. It's now about 4:30 pm.

It took him about an hour with rush hour traffic. This one boots up right away and while he's testing the various functions, it wants to download 0xD8, which successfully completed and rebooted. He calls DirecTV and get the DVR activated. Everything seems to be working fine and I'm getting the best signal I've ever gotten, except the DVR trick play or recording functions aren't working, and there is a message that the DVR service was not activated. He calls DirecTV again and explains the problem. They can't seem to fix the problem. From what I could hear, he talked to 3 or 4 people. They said that since I had lifetime TiVo DVR service, the option wasn't showing up to activate the DirecTV DVR service. They finally got the problem fixed and he's finishing up and he gets a call from his supervisor on one of those walkie-talkie type of phones so I can hear his supervisor. The guy is chewing him out for not closing the call sooner! It's now about 6:30 pm.

He gets a box that's DOA out of the box, has to go back to his office to get a new one, goes through several people to get a problem fixed on the DirecTV side, spends more than four hours on an install that didn't require any cabling and then gets chewed out by his boss on top of it all. Glad I'm not an installer!

I guess that I'd have to say that this was the worst install that I've experienced with DirecTV, although I have low expectations and it was what it was. I'd be really bummed if I'd had to take time off from work or had someplace to be early that evening.

·
Icon
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
Actually sounds like a very successful installation, thanks to a dedicated installation technician who was willing to take some heat from his boss to ensure that your install was successful.
Oh, I'm definitely not complaining, as I said, I had low expectations, even though I figured that without any cabling, the install would be at most a couple of hours. Previous installation of my HR10 and Phase III dish took less than that.

From some of the posts that I've seen about bad installations though, some people here would be raging psychopaths if they experienced a 10 hour installation window! I appreciated that even though the installer was the one experiencing most of the pain, he was polite, courteous, thorough, and never got the least bit upset. He even left me plenty of two-wire cable to re-do the cabling to my master bedroom, since I'm rebuilding my deck and that cabling will have to be redone. I was even going to tip him, but he was in his truck and gone before I had the chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.