DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

· AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new (Purple) smart card showed up yesterday for my 722.

The letter says if I don't install it in the next 2 weeks all my programming will be lost.

It also says it may take up to 20 minutes to get my programming back after I install it.

I guess I will install it when I get home this afternoon.

Geoff

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
For those that are getting the new cards there is NO reason NOT to install them. I haven't heard of one problem installing them. If you have several receivers just make sure that you put them in the correct receiver. The instructions that come with the cards are very clear on that information.

For those that are wondering when you will get them -- only DISH knows that (and the CSRs do NOT have that information) but you will see channels 998 in your guide shortly before you get the new card.

· AllStar
66 Posts
I have a 722 and a 311 which are a few months old. ( They have no cars Inserted in them , they did not come with any ) and a 510 with a Yellow ( orange tinted cast to it) with a blue stripe on the left i believe and another 311 ( currently not in use ) Will I get 4 cards or just 2 for the older 2. Why wasn't there none in the newer 2 receivers ( leased ) older 2 I own. Are the newer receivers ( internal ) and does not require a smart card. I guess they will probably roll them out eventually. Sorry to sound like a dummy. Any Info will be appreciated.Thanks

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
All receivers will need the new card ... some newer ones are coming with the card in the box but existing receivers will either get a new card or be replaced with a newer receiver.

Don't worry about the when ... just wait for the cards to appear.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
No one but Dish can say "when", exactly (CSRs won't know), but it will be sometime during the next 3 months or so, because Dish wants to switch to the new encryption system before the end of the year. Receivers without the new purple cards won't work once the switch occurs.

· Mentor
45 Posts
Is there a way to know if you'll be receiving a new smartcard or not? I just got activated in early Sept. and both of my boxes are "S191" VIP's. I don't have any cards in the slots. Does that mean that I have the new cards internally already, or should I be expecting new cards in the mail someday?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Opusnbill7 said:
Is there a way to know if you'll be receiving a new smartcard or not? I just got activated in early Sept. and both of my boxes are "S191" VIP's. I don't have any cards in the slots. Does that mean that I have the new cards internally already, or should I be expecting new cards in the mail someday?
Given that we are getting new 722s and 612s with the purple cards in them, I'm almost positive that you'll be receiving cards for yours.

Many modern receivers have a "2nd Gen" access card built-in, but all have slots for a standard card, which will override the internal card. Everyone is going to need a 3rd Gen (purple) card soon.

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
IIP said:
No one but Dish can say "when", exactly (CSRs won't know), but it will be sometime during the next 3 months or so, because Dish wants to switch to the new encryption system before the end of the year. Receivers without the new purple cards won't work once the switch occurs.
I've heard conflicting rumors. The most official word I've heard is "you will get your cards before you need them" to continue service.

I've got my "Eastern Arc" homebrew system ready to go for the day I get mine. :)

· Mr. FixAnything
28,024 Posts
ElJefe said:
The new card they sent to my 301 receiver starts with S19, so that number is not just for internal cards anymore.
You missed my point and whole idea of posting it - by telling "S19" you can't distinguish if it's new G3 or old G2 type, ie will it support Eastern Arc or not !

· Legend
144 Posts
James Long said:
Don't worry about the when ... just wait for the cards to appear.
I have the dishnetwork prepaid service called dishnow because I subscribe to only one international channel tv globo in mpeg2 on 61.5, since it is prepaid dish service they never get your address even when you first activate and only took your zipcode, whenever I add additional $40 prepaid cards or green dot money packs to extend the subscription I also enquire about the plan for people like me with prepaid dishnow receivers and smartcards. I never get an answer just don't worry.

I am very worried I have called the prepaid tech support number and emailed [email protected] several times since hearing about this smart card replacement and have not received any pertinent info from either source. I expect one day soon to go to my receiver and see a smart card error message because it seems dishnetwork has no plan for dishnow customers. perhpas they plan to just do away with us all together since the link on the main page of theirwebsite for prepaid is gone.

Anybody heard anything?

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
When your account is targeted for new cards you should see an announcement channel (998).
And if that notification fails, DISH will find a way of letting you know. :D

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
When your box gets shut off call them and they will get you hooked up.

· Cool Member
20 Posts
I replaced my smart card yesterday and it was easy and went well, but today I tried to use the search function and it does not work. If I search by theme or keyword it just flies through the days in the guide and does not return any results. The search worked as recently as Thursday when I looked up the Packer game to set a timer. I am going to reset the thing and see if it starts working.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.