DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved and suspended my service for a couple of months. Now that Football season is upon us I didn't want to miss any games...so, I called DirecTV.

They told me w/a Mover's Connection my installation and Dish for HD would be at no cost and they would offer the 1st 3 months of the Premiere Package for free if I subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket...well, that's why I was calling - so it sounded pretty cool to me. The installation was set for Aug. 22nd - well, that got rescheduled to the following Friday the 29th. My install company was a No Call/No Show - so, DirecTV gave me a $100.00 credit - pretty cool. I was getting a 4th receiver put in my younger daughters room and when I was discussing my home layout to the installation department - I heard about the SWM.

Could it be true? I don't have to run 2 lines to each one of my DVR's? Oh my God! This is a miracle. Well, they then tell me I would have to upgrade my old Hughes & R15 receivers due to incompatibility - so, they got me to the sales dept. They said they could give me one receiver for FREE, but I'd have to pay $99.00 each for the other 2 R16's...I thought, well - I'm saving money not having to drop 4 lines in my walls and the possibility of having to pay a drywall guy a couple hundred for any patches that may come from an impossible wall fish in my greatroom.

Ok, so I paid for the 2 R16's now I'm back to the installation dept. to figure out a date for guaranteed installation. They then tell me that they do not do SWM installs on Mover's Connections for Previous DirecTV customers...??? WTF??? I just paid $200.00 for new receivers. I was extremely upset. Long story short I spent about 12-15 hrs. on the phone w/DirecTV and the satellite install co. and finally got it straight...that is until I see my first bill ha-ha. So far - it seems they have it right online.

Now I have my HD DVR and other 3 rooms w/R16 DVR's - I can record 8 shows @ once! How totally cool is that? Sad part is - I'm all out of lines from my SWM. DVR's take up 2 of the 8 available lines, so no DirecTV in the Spare Bedroom - Front/Sitting Room or my Arizona Room/Outside for the pool. Oh, well - guess a small victory is better than nothing @ all.

A Victory nonetheless! They even credited me my $200.00 back and it seems I have gotten all 3 R16's FREE due to my troubles. I hope everyone has a successful installation like mine.

·
AllStar
78 Posts
You can run non-HD receivers off the legacy ports. There are 3 on a SWM8. I asked a couple months ago and never got a definite answer but word is you can run a 2x8 or even a 2x16 multiswitch off 2 of them so you could run the 8 SWM tuners (4 dvrs) plus 16 single tuner receivers like your current older receivers. Any legacy dvrs would require two cables though when hooked up this way.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
2 multiswitches can be run in parallel (side by side) off one dish.

4 wires from dish goto 4 two-way high frequency splitters.
Each side of the 4 splitters goto the 2 seperate multiswitches.
Extra SWM8's are only $150 w/ shipping now at www.solidsignal.com

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
brockley said:
You can run non-HD receivers off the legacy ports.
True of course, but wouldn't this likely have been a SWMLine install (so no legacy ports)? I didn't think that DirecTV was using SWM8's for basic residential installs.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Again, the OP probably has a SWMline LNB, not a SWM-8.

Also, in the setup menu you can disable a tuner on the HR2x IRDs. I'm not sure about the R16s, though. If you have some locations that you don't mind being forced to watch what is being recorded, you can free up some SWM channels for additional IRDs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.