DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to add DVR in September and had the R-15 installed on 9/29. Two weeks ago it froze during the recording of the Bears-Giants game (I was at work). Since then, it has been freezing multiple times daily and requires a reset with the red button and unplugging the unit. Also, it won't record programs that are set with the timer 80% of the time now. Sometimes the light will come on indicating it's recording then stop in the middle of the program with no indication in the VOD list that it was recorded.

I've checked and I have the latest version of the software. Many people have complained about the same issues, but what can be done to fix this. Does the reformat of the hard drive solve these issues? The warranty is good for another month and I want to know if I should replace the unit with a new R-15? If the replacement unit is buggy, is the 90 day warranty in force on the new unit? I've seen people talk about being on their fifth R-15 unit and that seems unfathomable. Will D* continually replace the defective units while the 90 day warranty period is in effect?

I am trying to decide whether to try another R-15 or move back to a standard receiver. I was very satisfied with it's performance for the first six weeks and then it went off the rails. I have just gotten a new computer with a tv tuner and Windows Media Center and was wondering if I junked the R-15 and ran a receiver to my computer if that would be a better solution.

I wish I knew of this forum before I made my decision, as I would have avoided this unit. I've been a D* customer since 1998 and have never had any quality issues.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
A reformat should solve your current problems and may even provide another six weeks of proper operation. One thing I recommend is a weekly reset. Pick a day and time and every week at that point make sure nothing is recording, change the channel to reset the live buffer and press the RED button. Wait for it to completely boot up and place the unit in StandBy to rebuild the guide quicker. A good time to do this is right before going to bed or work.

My last reformat was the beginning of August. I reset weekly and I don't have any problems other than the known issues such as First Run/Repeat logic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.