DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
litzdog911 said:
How tall is that mast? Looks like you might have some sway problems in strong winds. Hope it's well anchored to your roof, too.
Nice install, gmoney. :)

I agree with litzdog, as the possibility of sway, may very well exist.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
That does not look good to me either. Good luck with that.

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, it is well anchored. The tripod has 8 lag bolts into studs on the roof. I'm not very concerned about that. My worry and I concur is the sway issue. In heavy winds you always get some. I even would get a bit when I had my 3 lnb up there. These 5 lnb's do not weigh what they say. I had an installer tell me the AT9 was 50 pounds....BS! I weighed the Slimline with the pipe adaptor and all the fixings and it was around 20 pounds! The mast that comes with it adds a huge chunk and of course I didn't use that. The tripod is iron clad secure but come March I could have some challenges....Worst case scenario the 3 lnb will go back up there! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
captain_video said:
I'd definitely be running several guy wires to secure that sucker.;)
I'd definitely run at least 3 wires for support. Try using some standard mast guy wires, (very inexpensive) with turn buckles. Adjust the turnbuckles until ample support is achieved, without affecting the dish alignment. You'll be glad you did. ;)

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Donnie Byrd said:
I'd definitely run at least 3 wires for support. Try using some standard mast guy wires, (very inexpensive) with turn buckles. Adjust the turnbuckles until ample support is achieved, without affecting the dish alignment. You'll be glad you did. ;)
Where could I pick up such hardware? Would any online retailers have this stuff?

·
Godfather
410 Posts
Scarry looking install. One good gust of wind in a storm could rip that right out of the roof. Like the other suggested guy wires. Find out where the installers go for there supplies in your area.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
Do you remember being taught about levers? The weight of the dish isn't the problem. The dish is the end of a lever where force is applied, the mounting point on the roof becomes the fulcrum point. The length of the mast multiplies the force applied to the dish attempting to rip the lags out of your roof. That is why the professional installers refused to accept the liability for what you wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
gmoney said:
Where could I pick up such hardware? Would any online retailers have this stuff?
If you have a local Lowes, Home Depot or even Walmart, they should have what you need. If you happen to get them from Lowes, the doggie anchors are in the section with wire cable and accessories.

EDIT: Sorry, i had replied to another thread of this nature and didn't bother to think of what i was actually saying. In your case, forget the "doggie anchors". I wouldn't want to screw them into your roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
378 Posts
Heres You and idea to reduce the sway.

Go to a local d-net dealer or Dow electronics's (E* distributor) and size up you some E* adjustable Struts that come with their Super Dish.

One lag per foot and Either you can drill your mast and insert one bolt all the way through to 'catch" both adjustable strut arm supports. And if they extend long enough you can actually attach them to the bottom side of "chunk' of the dish itself.

Ive got a pic here somewhere of one i did like this because cx insisted on a roof mt and no ground pl mt. Its on the orig At-9 though if i remember correctly. the roof pitch and simple physics in support with that mono pole support junk just would cure too much But a visual appearance of support.. So realistic physics and weight/wind brought me to these support arms & that thing wont Move period.

Only prob i see you may have is the over all length issue of the struts fully extended, But Regardless if they reach the top of that mast i guarantee if placed in the right symmetrical positions on the mast you will eliminate the "sway".

Ill edit this post if i find you a picture w/ those support arms.. btw that install looks nice.. Drip loops and all.. Good Job.

EDIT. (pic)

100% roofing bull covers the whole "foot" and support arm penetrations not this D* issue bishops tape and silicone mess.
I laugh at those guys who use silicone for a asphalt based shingle or rf compounds. The 2 compounds dont fit together period.. (lol)

Theres you Another thing forum to go check... your roofs after those D* hsp's have left.. LOL

Attachments

·
Banned
614 Posts
gmoney said:
What readings are you getting on your sats?

Also I noticed on the picture it appears your power line from the pole is near the Dish, if the dish should ever fall over it may hit the wire and cause damage.

Hope it works without problems for you.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
The slim line weighs a lot less then the old 5LNB but it's still pretty heavy. Once you get a good wind going, that tripod is going to start bending. They're really not meant for a dish that heavy. I think they're installing the 5LNB's on thick metal polls with concrete if there's a line of site issue. Tripods are probably not being used at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.