DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi, This is my take on this subject. I have been dying to own this unit. But after hearing all this input for 3 weeks I must say, First I have been a D tv user for at about 7yrs. This unit should never have been released with this much problems. we are not talking about a unit that coast $5.99 amonth to rent. We are talking about people that are spending there hard earned money to pay down alease. I have not run across one person in my area that has a good thing to say about this unit. Just reading what I read here everyday stops me from ordering this thing. I have always defended D tv against cable but I don.t know anyone that is having this trouble with cable dvr. I will still read the input from all you great people, and hopeone day to own this unit, BUT if i ran my business like this I would not have one. People who spend this much money of a LEASE should have the product work right. Thank you all for letting me vent ,and keep up the good work:confused:

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
soprano_777 said:
:confused: Hi, This is my take on this subject. I have been dying to own this unit. But after hearing all this input for 3 weeks I must say, First I have been a D tv user for at about 7yrs. This unit should never have been released with this much problems. we are not talking about a unit that coast $5.99 amonth to rent. We are talking about people that are spending there hard earned money to pay down alease. I have not run across one person in my area that has a good thing to say about this unit. Just reading what I read here everyday stops me from ordering this thing. I have always defended D tv against cable but I don.t know anyone that is having this trouble with cable dvr. I will still read the input from all you great people, and hopeone day to own this unit, BUT if i ran my business like this I would not have one. People who spend this much money of a LEASE should have the product work right. Thank you all for letting me vent ,and keep up the good work:confused:
At least try to get one free is my advice, which many people on here did. But we still all pay the monthly DVR fee, the 2-year commitment (for getting it or something else free), and the usual D* fees for programming, which is fair enough. Not sure what's happening with the HR20, but it ain't good - despite all those who haven't had any issues. If I were one of those folks, I run out and but lottery tickets right away.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The people in your "area"... do they have the unit?
Or are they basing their opinions on Blogs and Forums (like this).

Yes, there are some issues with the unit (some are major)... but there a good amount of poeple that have NO issues, where there are some people that have nothing BUT issues...

·
Legend
188 Posts
Most cable DVR's do not contain as many features as the HR-20. I personally have had very little trouble with mine. A couple recordings with the black screen when accessed through the list button, but found that accessing them through the My Vod list in the menu, they were fine. On a side note, while trying to determine if their was a problem with my HR-20 with my local RSN in HD, a tech at D* switched my address to a chicago address to troubleshoot the problem and with the MPEG-4 locals out of Chicago, my unit locked up for about a minute 4 times while I was on the locals. I do not have this problem with the DNS from New York, and havent had it since I was switched back to my original configuration. Remember, most people come here because they have a problem, so the majority of what you read here is going to seem negative, but in reality the majority of the owners in the "real" world who do not post here or don't post their positive comments probably outweigh the people with problems. Just my thought!!:evilgrin:

·
Legend
183 Posts
soprano_777 said:
:confused:I have always defended D tv against cable but I don.t know anyone that is having this trouble with cable dvr. :confused:
I know some people that have to reset their HD cable-DVRs weekly. When they complained to the cable company, they were told that there was nothing that could be done and that they'd have to continue resetting their boxes when they locked up. From my perspective, the grass definitely isn't greener on the other side. Anyway, I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.:D

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
The people in your "area"... do they have the unit?
Or are they basing their opinions on Blogs and Forums (like this).

Yes, there are some issues with the unit (some are major)... but there a good amount of poeple that have NO issues, where there are some people that have nothing BUT issues...
Thanks for the reply. After reading these posts for a while now I value your opinn earl. thanks again!

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tommyb said:
Most cable DVR's do not contain as many features as the HR-20. I personally have had very little trouble with mine. A couple recordings with the black screen when accessed through the list button, but found that accessing them through the My Vod list in the menu, they were fine. On a side note, while trying to determine if their was a problem with my HR-20 with my local RSN in HD, a tech at D* switched my address to a chicago address to troubleshoot the problem and with the MPEG-4 locals out of Chicago, my unit locked up for about a minute 4 times while I was on the locals. I do not have this problem with the DNS from New York, and havent had it since I was switched back to my original configuration. Remember, most people come here because they have a problem, so the majority of what you read here is going to seem negative, but in reality the majority of the owners in the "real" world who do not post here or don't post their positive comments probably outweigh the people with problems. Just my thought!!:evilgrin:
thanks for the reply I rather stick with D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.