DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and can't get a signal from my dish. He replaced the 4 lnb with a single. He can't get a signal off any of the 4 previous wires. He swears there must be a splitter somewhere and that he tested the new lnb. I know there isn't a splitter. What else could it be? I have a feeling he is gonna leave without anything working or try to run a new line on the outside of my house.

This info ran hr-34 install.

Any suggestions I can I've him?

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see him using any meter. Just a wall wart with a coax cable. Not sure what it is. He decided to just run a new line from the second story to the ground outside. :-(

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
Tell him to unplug everything except the power supply. Check for tone at the power supply, make sure he has the right port connected and then tone out the lines on the outside. Once he gets that straight he can tone out the lines at the dish.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
And that is why I always do it myself. You never know what you are going to have walk through the door. Superman or Stuporman.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"samrs" said:
You have the option to ask him to leave or let him finish.

VOS might be able to help you fix it after he is gone.
What is VOS? I'm pretty disappointed. I'm 99% sure directv was initially installed without a splitter. I had two receivers and a 4 lnb dish. The wires are all ran through the wall with no part of them exposed in the attic. The installer insisted that either there was a hidden splitter in the attic or all 4 existing lines had suddenly gone bad.

It's all working now except the ugly line and apparently a dispute with CW is preventing me from adding that to my OTA channels even though it worked fine with the old receiver.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
VOS is VeryOldSchool, a member of this forum.

Its easy to tell if there is a splitter in the line (or a multiswitch)... Since all 4 lines are now disconnected and he ran a new one, check the NON-LNB end of the line where it comes out of the wall with an ohm meter. If it shows any resistance at all, there is something in the line, or the line is bad. It should show 0 ohms (since nothing is connected at the other end).

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"veryoldschool" said:
Someone that tries to help, but needs to know what is going on, as I can't see through the internet [yet :lol:].
This one is a tough one as it seems so unreasonable. 4 lines running from dish. He said he couldn't get signal on any of them. Though I think all he did was connect one wire at the dish then tried them all in my basement to figure out which was connected and couldn't find it.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
west99999 said:
I have a yellow cased meter and it works just fine with SWM LNBS. Are there some yellow case meters that don't work?
I think we can call them Birddogs now, and not every tech seems to know how to align a dish with one.
My last installer was using a legacy LNB, then changed to a SWiM, but not sure he was even able to read the Ka SATs, as they were low and I needed to dither my dish to get them up to what they should have been.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
or8ital said:
This one is a tough one as it seems so unreasonable. 4 lines running from dish. He said he couldn't get signal on any of them. Though I think all he did was connect one wire at the dish then tried them all in my basement to figure out which was connected and couldn't find it.
If you had a receiver working at this location before, and this was "merely" an upgrade, you shouldn't have had to go through this.
If this location hasn't had a receiver before, then it gets harder to know what and where the coax is going.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"veryoldschool" said:
If you had a receiver working at this location before, and this was "merely" an upgrade, you shouldn't have had to go through this.
If this location hasn't had a receiver before, then it gets harder to know what and where the coax is going.
Just a receiver swap. But to switch to the hr34 from hr20 he said he had to go from 4 lines on my dish to just a single line so he had to replace the 4 LNB. Only his 2nd hr34 install so who knows.

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
or8ital said:
What is VOS?

It's all working now except the ugly line and apparently a dispute with CW is preventing me from adding that to my OTA channels even though it worked fine with the old receiver.

Thanks everyone for the help.
You will see.

The plot thickens.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.