DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a little over a week with my HR20 now and, except for two problems (deleting a partial recording, a freeze and reboot during my Steelers game shortly after the first touchdown), it's been working well.

I wrote up my thoughts on the plusses and minuses of this unit over my old DirecTiVo (series 2) and posted them here. I invite your feedback, either here in the forum or on the linked article.

This isn't a flame by any stretch. I've again experienced relatively few problems with the HR20. None of the minuses are severe, and the HR20 has several plusses, too.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Very nice, balanced list.

One thing I like about the HR20 is the ability to set recording defaults like padding.

One thing that would be nice is the ability to keep more than 5 episodes automatically. Increments of 7, 9 and 10 perhaps?

I'm sure I'm forgetting something between the two.

Cheers,
Tom

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tibber said:
Very nice, balanced list.
Thanks. I don't think too many people will read it because I don't go all sensational and declare the HR20 the worst crap ever produced or whatever. :)

tibber said:
One thing I like about the HR20 is the ability to set recording defaults like padding.
I like setting a default, yes, but I never use padding. And I mistakenly set up most of my 20 Series Links with a bad setup, so I had to go back and change them. ;-)

tibber said:
One thing that would be nice is the ability to keep more than 5 episodes automatically. Increments of 7, 9 and 10 perhaps?
I agree that 10 would be a nice option. But then again, if you care to keep more than five, perhaps the DTV programmers figure that you can manage them yourself (to keep 7 or 12 or truly all).

·
Godfather
271 Posts
I am with you ! As a third generation D*TV DVR user I am exceptionally disappointed with the features and usability of the new Plus HD DVR. I can only best describe this unit as “another sad cable box DVR” with HD.

All of the features I had grown to love on my two previous units were gone. (I have both a forty-hour unit and eighty-hour unit ). I can only say that this software package has more problems than Microsoft's Windows 95 even though 95 was an upgrade from 3.11, this DVR is a hoot. As an avid PC user I am certain that when I purchase my first Windows Vista PC there is going to be a similarity between XP and Vista. With this upgrade I feel like I am going from a Windows environment to Linix and having to do so without notice. Not that I prefer either, I just like to know what I am getting prior to opening the box.

Gone is the ability pause one tuner and switch to the other tuner and back. This is a huge deal for multi-sport TV watchers. I love being able to pause one sport switch to the other and bounce back with out missing any exciting minute of action. Yes, I know there is a work around to make this work by recording two channels, it just seem that now my unit crashes every time I pause live video....
The system default is a clumpy category view and no way to set your own preferred main menu. This was part of the reasons that I never previously considered switching to the other dish type network.
The remote control has no likeness of my previous unit, I love turning on the light at night to find out what button is what on this jumbled mess of buttons.
The unit supports a HDMI connection but does not even ship with the cable!
It has some how has just skipped recording two scheduled programs. I have had it for less than a week!
It frequently has a lag between audio and video not only in playback but even in watching live TV! It is like watching a badly dubbed Kung Fu movie.

On top of all this, many of the positives reviews I read mention features of the D*TV Plus HD DVR do not even function. Praising D*TV for adding a non-working USP and Ethernet ports is like praising General Motors for putting a non-working engine in a car and saying with future upgrades it should start...???? I really loved reading the positive review from a user that says that he is excited that upgrades come out each week.... DUDE that is not what you should expect from a software package unless you are a beta tester! I guess we all are now. I really enjoyed the D*TV Client services tech telling me that all the options I was mentioning were not advertised for this unit, even though it is touted as an upgrade to my R10 unit. When I hear upgrade I think “same but improved” not totally different.

Finally; without a doubt my D*TV Plus HD DVR is the worst Christmas present ever! At lease I could get heat out of a lump of coal! Other than providing a HD picture on my TV it does not offer ANYTHING I had expected in an upgraded unit. I would only guess that this package was developed with only the almighty dollar in mind and no concern what-so-ever was paid to what D*TV clients expect or prefer. I only wish I had visited off Google reviews prior to entering into a prepaid two year lease on this unit.

On the positive side, I am terribly excited to see that there is a survey as to what issues need to be addressed on this unit. I only hope that D*TV takes notice and in the future takes this type of action during the product development phase rather than trying to fix the unit post release. Bless you brott for putting this together.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DblD_Indy said:
I am with you!
To be honest, it doesn't appear that you are. I'm fairly neutral on my switch - you do not appear to be neutral.

DblD_Indy said:
Gone is the ability pause one tuner and switch to the other tuner and back.
Yes, I covered that.

DblD_Indy said:
The system default is a clumpy category view and no way to set your own preferred main menu.
The default what?

DblD_Indy said:
The remote control has no likeness of my previous unit, I love turning on the light at night to find out what button is what on this jumbled mess of buttons.
The remote is pretty bad, but it's not nearly as bad as some TV and DVD player remotes. A lot of those remotes are just rows of similarly sized buttons.

DblD_Indy said:
The unit supports a HDMI connection but does not even ship with the cable!
That's true of lots of equipment. I'm surprised it ships with composite cables, though. It is an HD receiver, after all. Still, for those who want to hook up a secondary audio/video unit (like a DVD recorder), it's nice.

And there's some confusion, too: some think the installer is supposed to provide an HDMI cable.

DblD_Indy said:
It frequently has a lag between audio and video not only in playback but even in watching live TV! It is like watching a badly dubbed Kung Fu movie.
I had audio lag earlier, but I haven't noticed it lately.

DblD_Indy said:
On top of all this, many of the positives reviews I read mention features of the D*TV Plus HD DVR do not even function. Praising D*TV for adding a non-working USP and Ethernet ports is like praising General Motors for putting a non-working engine in a car and saying with future upgrades it should start...????
I'd rather have officially recognized ports that will some day offer more functionality than ports that are officially deemed to be "we ain't touchin' 'em!" The DTiVo had USB ports that did nothing, but it was officially known that they NEVER would.

I didn't positively review the HR20, so if you're attempting to shoehorn an HR20 rant into this thread, it's really not welcome.

DblD_Indy said:
DUDE that is not what you should expect from a software package unless you are a beta tester!
I'd rather have weekly patches and fixes than the Windows version: bi-yearly massive service packs. One of the rules of software development is "release early, release often." Frequent releases show that a product is in active development if nothing else.

Again, this post is not an invitation to post your general rants, and I'm asking as the originator of the thread that you keep them to yourself or post them elsewhere.

Thanks.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
Erik,
I enjoyed your Dtivo to Hr20 comparison blog entry. I think it was fairly neutral and highlighted some of the pluses and minus' of both units. The one click record/two click SL combined with the ability to set the defaults for the SL are some of my favorite features of the Hr20. Hopefully we will continue to see better performance out of the Hr20, and maybe some new enhancements as well.

·
Godfather
271 Posts
Thanks for addressing my concerns! You are correct you are far more neutral on this switch than me.

“Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim”. - Elie Wiesel

Wish you the best!

Hope the Steelers get back on track. It looks like Peyton has started to flame!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
iacas said:
I've spent a little over a week with my HR20 now...
Eric,

Welcome to the HR20!

You have most of the differences noted in the TiVo to HR-20 Survival Guide but there are several other good ones.

You did not mention several of these best points about the HR20. In fairness many are not documented in the manual but are in the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks.

If you take the Take the Wishlist Survey , you will find a world of other ideas to consider.

I think that it is worth mentioning several of the features promised in the manual are missing. These and others are explored in the HR20 Flaws and Workarounds.

Again, welcome! :welcome_s

- Craig

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:
It's Erik.

Milominderbinder2 said:
You did not mention several of these best points about the HR20.
I doubt that. I mentioned what stood out to me. I also left out several nice TiVo features because they weren't noteworthy.

Milominderbinder2 said:
In fairness many are not documented in the manual but are in the...
I printed out the guide a week and a half ago. I posted what stood out to me as worth mentioning. This post seems to push your guide while offering little else. While I appreciate the guide, constantly pushing it is like bringing the pie to Thanksgiving dinner and constantly asking people how much they liked the pie...

Milominderbinder2 said:
If you take the take the Wishlist Survey
I took it a week and a half ago as well.

Milominderbinder2 said:
I think that it is worth mentioning several of the features promised in the manual are missing.
I'm aware of that, yes. Again, thank you for the guide and anything else you've done. The pie was indeed quite tasty. :)

If you have some more specific examples, of course, please feel free to elaborate here or on my blog on the features you feel should have been mentioned (on either piece of hardware).

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
iacas said:
I've spent a little over a week with my HR20 now and, except for two problems (deleting a partial recording, a freeze and reboot during my Steelers game shortly after the first touchdown), it's been working well.

I wrote up my thoughts on the plusses and minuses of this unit over my old DirecTiVo (series 2) and posted them here. I invite your feedback, either here in the forum or on the linked article.

This isn't a flame by any stretch. I've again experienced relatively few problems with the HR20. None of the minuses are severe, and the HR20 has several plusses, too.
Nice blog, read it all..
Enjoyed your comments, here are my comments...
The Tivo HR1025 did not need a phone line, never did...
The mystery buttons on the HR20 remote are not a mystery and very useful...
Switching Live TV on the TivoHR1025 remote will be missed....I use it often
The Tivo HR1025 does record HD
Auto Native is a major plus for the HR20 with screen stretch..
OTA is major here in NY, there are many sub channels offered...

Thanks again for the listing
I own a HR1020 and it looks like I will have to upgrade mid 2007 when all
the HD channels come on.

·
Godfather
271 Posts
“OTA is major here in NY, there are many sub channels offered"

Not only in NYC, in INDY we are missing up to 20 Channels until this feature is enabled. And this is in a little old town. I would be sad to guess what you in NYC and LA are missing until this works.

·
7 Posts
Has Anyone Noticed That Tivo Continues To Lose Money? With All Their Giveaways There Is No Way They Can Continue As A Viable Company. I Don't See How They Can Turn Things Around The Way The Satellite Industry Is Presently Structured. The Best Thing That Could Happen, In My Opinion, Is That Directv Buys Them Out & Uses Their Technology &/or Units To Upgrade The Hr20.

This Would Solve The Problems Of Both Directv & Tivo. Let's Hope It Happens Sooner Rather Than Later. The Consumers Will Be The Real Winners.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Nice first look review.

Kirkman said:
The Tivo HR1025 did not need a phone line, never did...
Sure does. You *have* to have one to set it up the first time. You also need it to activate any software upgrades. Other then that it's not needed if you can deal with the daily nag screens or setup a PPP connection to do the phone call.

Switching Live TV on the TivoHR1025 remote will be missed....I use it often
Do you mean a "live tv" button? On the HR20 you can hit the exit button which will take you to live tv from whatever menu screen you are in.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Erik,

A couple of things.....

1.) I thought your comparison was excellent. It was nice to see a neutral comparison of the two boxes.

2.) Why are you so argumentative with Milominderbinder2? All he did was welcome you to the forum and provide links to additional information that you might find interesting. And.....he misspelled your name....big deal. The whole purpose of his post was to welcome you.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
One of the things I love about the tivo was its simple to use interface. It was very easy for the family to learn.

The HR20 may have a lot more features but the interface is not as easy to use as the Tivo. You don't wheter to go "back" or "exit". There is red, green, blue, and yellow. And you can end up going around and around in the menus.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kirkman said:
The Tivo HR1025 did not need a phone line, never did.
I never had an HR10-250 (or an "HR1025"), so I can't really say.

Kirkman said:
The mystery buttons on the HR20 remote are not a mystery and very useful.
It remains bad user interface design to have a button do different things in different contexts or at different times.

Kirkman said:
The Tivo HR1025 does record HD
Again, mine didn't. I can only note my personal transition, and it was from a series 2 DTiVo.

Kirkman said:
OTA is major here in NY, there are many sub channels offered.
We have no local OTA HD here, so it's unimportant to me.

1Indy79 said:
2.) Why are you so argumentative with Milominderbinder2? All he did was welcome you to the forum and provide links to additional information that you might find interesting. And.....he misspelled your name....big deal. The whole purpose of his post was to welcome you.
I don't think I was argumentative, but if it came off that way, I apologize. I'm quite sensitive to clutter and assumptions, particularly when they're wrong. I read his guide a week ago, I took the survey, and I don't need "welcomed."

Still, my response did nothing to clarify the clutter, and again for that I'm sorry. Milo PMed me and we've had a very "un-clutter"ed (very informative) chat there. I did in fact leave out many features of the TiVo and HR20 (and problems), but that's because they're unimportant to me. Things like faulty parental controls, for example - they don't matter to me. Or bookmarking - I've never seen the need to use it. My "review" isn't even really a review - it's just a list of things that stood out to me in my normal use. I realize other features are more or less important to others. My blog entry is certainly no be-all, end-all review, and I hope not to have ever implied as much.

If you have specific feedback, I encourage you to post on my blog in the comments, as that entry will likely end up quite a bit higher in the search engines than this thread. If you have a message you'd like to get out to others considering the DTiVo -> HR20 switch, your best bet to be heard is to post there.

I'll post a link to this thread on the blog, too, but still your best bet to be heard is to post over there.

·
Legend
146 Posts
Just a minor point I think you missed on the guide (I didn't take the time to read everything, so if I smeeked, I apologize)...

If you highlight the channel name (go to the left in the grid) and hit Info, you can pull a list-type display of forthcoming shows on that channel. It's not instant and, like you, I prefer the list on the TiVo to this, but it IS an alternative to trying to find your way through the grid.

Also, I like being able to jump ahead 12 hours at a time and back using the red and green buttons.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Guindalf said:
Just a minor point I think you missed on the guide (I didn't take the time to read everything, so if I smeeked, I apologize)...

If you highlight the channel name (go to the left in the grid) and hit Info, you can pull a list-type display of forthcoming shows on that channel. It's not instant and, like you, I prefer the list on the TiVo to this, but it IS an alternative to trying to find your way through the grid.

Also, I like being able to jump ahead 12 hours at a time and back using the red and green buttons.
I tried going to the left and hit info method to schedule a bunch of christmas shows off ABC family and while I was able to do it, it was painfully slow.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Guindalf said:

Yes, but it's another example of the non-inutitive nature of the unit's commands. "Info" on a program tells me about the program. Why would I think "Info" on a channel would give me extended guide data on a single channel sorted by time?

And thank you for the info. All the help I can get navigating through this thing, I'll take.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guindalf said:
I'm aware of that functionality. It's in no way (to me) a replacement for the List style view.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.