DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Icon
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this happen to anyone else?

I know for sure both my HR20-700s were on 251 last Friday. Sometime over the weekend they must have been rolled back to 235.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
LI-SVT said:

I know for sure both my HR20-700s were on 251 last Friday. Sometime over the weekend they must have been rolled back to 235.
Not surprising to read. I think the NR was stopped. Maybe D* reverted everyone who had x0251. Only the mods could tell you for sure.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I can confirm that version 0x0251 isn't currently spooling. I'm surprised that you got rolled back but it's not impossible.

· AllStar
106 Posts
When there is a a rollback, does this freshly download a new install of 0x235 -OR- does it merely remove the changes that 251 implemented and leave some of the download behind? The reason I ask this is that my receiver rolled back sometime during the last few days but none of the problems I have been having such as non-responsive remote when viewing a recorded program, record (orange) light not displaying when recording, FF indicator bar at the bottom stays displayed even after normal speed resumes, pressing FF or RW keys seem to have a delayed effect.

I wonder about the manner of the way the rollback is done, since I did a Force just a few minutes ago, and it said new software 0235 found, however my info. screen told me I had that software and showed "previous software .... 6/21 (I think that was the date).

I thought it should say Current software - at least that is what I thought it said in the past, along with previous version?

If you force a download of a current download are you told this or does it just merrily proceed?

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
If you force a download, whatever is in the stream is downloaded to your receiver .. Force means force .. so whatever version you had is replaced by the version in the stream when you do this

As for a rollback .. If there was a rollback .. which I haven't confirmed, BTW .. The entire version is downloaded. There are not modules with the download .. It's all or nothing.

· AllStar
106 Posts
Thanks Doug! Mine was rolled back. If I knew how to get a screen cap(other than using my cell phone camera) I would have taken a photo of it saying 251 and July 8 (I think - it was that week).

I tried a force to see what would happen - said new software found. Downloaded it (took about 20 min. or so) Date never changed - still says what it said before which is June 24.

I think some other folks have reported rollback and one was at the d* forum.
I did lose some recorded shows but not all of them.

Sort of off topic but somewhat relevant - since you are in Calif. also - do you think that during the very heavy smoke in the atmosphere some interference could occur? I know it is not the same as rain, but I was on a ridge between Concord California and Pittsburg California and could not see to the top of Mount Diablo about 20 miles away. We live on the Delta and could not see to the other side of the river. I know they could see the smoke from the ISS. I wonder if we have bad signal stuff at the time.

If we were getting smoke interference I have heard no mention of it.

Doug Brott said:
If you force a download, whatever is in the stream is downloaded to your receiver .. Force means force .. so whatever version you had is replaced by the version in the stream when you do this

As for a rollback .. If there was a rollback .. which I haven't confirmed, BTW .. The entire version is downloaded. There are not modules with the download .. It's all or nothing.

· AllStar
106 Posts
LI-SVT said:

I know for sure mine was rolled back as well. I keep the blue lights off since they drive me nuts, and turn my stuff off at night so when I see it back on again, blue lights glaring away, I always look to see what they sent me. Sometime in the first week of July 251 arrived, then it disappeared on Saturday. I checked again during Saturday night's NASCAR race since there was some wierd artifact on the screen (a sort of 3-D shifting of people's faces. Sure enough, it was 235. But it is still creating problems with non responding remote. Did yours start behaving normally after the rollback?

· Icon
762 Posts
I forced mine to roll back yesterday after 4 lockups in less than an hour. I thought that my wife was gonna have a heart attack it was happening so much. Since the roll back, no lockups. Here's hoping.

· Icon
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ramalama said:
I know for sure mine was rolled back as well. I keep the blue lights off since they drive me nuts, and turn my stuff off at night so when I see it back on again, blue lights glaring away, I always look to see what they sent me. Sometime in the first week of July 251 arrived, then it disappeared on Saturday. I checked again during Saturday night's NASCAR race since there was some wierd artifact on the screen (a sort of 3-D shifting of people's faces. Sure enough, it was 235. But it is still creating problems with non responding remote. Did yours start behaving normally after the rollback?
Previously on 235 I did have remote problems.

Since the rollback I have not encountered any problems at all.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
jimb726 said:
I forced mine to roll back yesterday after 4 lockups in less than an hour. I thought that my wife was gonna have a heart attack it was happening so much. Since the roll back, no lockups. Here's hoping.
From what to what? I can guarantee you that if you rolled back from 251 to 235, that just ain't the answer, because 235 is where I am now, and that's when the lockups began for me.

· Godfather
313 Posts
The puzzler is why my HR20-100 is issue free? Something has to be going on other than or more than the software.

The only problems I have had since dumping my trusty Tivo were caused by the introduction of a crappo Cavalry eSATA. It's gone and so are my issues including the blank recordings and IKDs which it precipitated.

I feel for D* engineers as these issues lack any consistencies. It seems to me most customers may have no issues but at the same time these issues are very real for many. I am more inclined to think it is a hardware issue as the software is all the same and these problems persist between releases. I have yet to read 0x0??? fixed my problems and I am a happy camper.

I think box temp could cause problems but then some think I am full of ____. But then, my box is always in the 90s. What do I know?

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
My HR20-700 is currently at 124F. It has been pretty stable all along (since 1/07). My HR21-700 runs about 10 degrees cooler. It is slightly less stable, but I haven't had any major problems in the past couple of months.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
FYI, the 0x0251 rollout is over, and the 0x0254/0x0255 rollout has begun. There is no difference between the two versions other than receiver model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.