DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one that should be good for some chuckles. My wife just said she came home this evening to blasting audio from the living room.

I leave my receiver and power amp on 24/7, and just power the TV on/off, and at the same time put the HR20 in standby.

When I went to sleep last night, the HR20 was in standby. When I left for work this morning, the HR20 was in standby- and my wife had already left for work.

Either the thing turned itself on, or it crashed in standby mode, and rebooted into power-on mode.

Whichever it was, its considered poor form for a home entertainment device. Aside from all the other problems, now I need to worry about what it'll do when I leave for vacations?!

·
Legend
183 Posts
matto said:
Why power cycle components if I don't have to?
I have a few customers who accidentally left their A/V receivers on and when I went out there to do a service call, the units were pretty hot. Doesn't your receiver get hot (or even warm)?

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob55 said:
I have a few customers who accidentally left their A/V receivers on and when I went out there to do a service call, the units were pretty hot. Doesn't your receiver get hot (or even warm)?
Nope. For the record, I have a Sony TA-E9000ES reciever, and an Adcom GFA-7300 power amp. They have been powered on for probably the last 4 years. No heat problems, and no excessive power consumption.

I am also very, very happy with the sound quality and reliability of the combination. The TAE9k in specific has a fantastic decoder that tracks the format changes (PCM, DD 3/2, DD 2/0) from my HR10 and now HR20 perfectly.

As for the Adcom 5-channel power amp, I suspect that "GFA" stands for "Great ****in' Amp", since that is what it is :)

I got the Adcom new in box off ebay for $100, and the TAE9k open-box from Good Guys for around $200. Best home entertainment investments I've made.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Sounds like a waste of energy to me to leave the receiver and power amp on 24/7. I don't really think it'll hurt anything to turn them off when you're done watching TV for the night and turn them back on when you want to watch TV again. I'm pretty sure they are designed to handle being turned off and turned on.

·
Legend
183 Posts
matto said:
Nope. For the record, I have a Sony TA-E9000ES reciever, and an Adcom GFA-7300 power amp. They have been powered on for probably the last 4 years. No heat problems, and no excessive power consumption.
Yeah, I just found it a bit unusual being so used to powering my gear off when not in use. Cycling the system on and off is no biggie for me as I use discrete IR commands. I had to come up with a good solution for my wife to be comfortable using the system. My basement theater system has been cycled on/off for the last 6 years with no problems (knock on wood).:D

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glennb said:
Sounds like a waste of energy to me to leave the receiver and power amp on 24/7. I don't really think it'll hurt anything to turn them off when you're done watching TV for the night and turn them back on when you want to watch TV again. I'm pretty sure they are designed to handle being turned off and turned on.
I am glad that you have an opinion regarding how I use my home entertainment equipment. I happen to have an opinion also. Can we move on?

Has anyone else experienced their HR20 turning on from standby without user interaction?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
Power fluctuation, random reboot, download of new software even though current
software is already there.. I think if you look at the system info it tells you the last
time the box received a download.

·
Legend
183 Posts
matto said:
I am glad that you have an opinion regarding how I use my home entertainment equipment. I happen to have an opinion also. Can we move on?

Has anyone else experienced their HR20 turning on from standby without user interaction?
Did not mean to question or criticize how you use your system, sorry. As for the turn-on from standby, the only time this happened to me was when I got a software update. I turn the HR-20 off every night due to the bright power and resolution LEDs.

·
Legend
192 Posts
I power on and off. The equipment is made to do so and I believe in conserving resources and money. But that's just me. I know people who leave their amps and pre-amps on all the time because they believe that when they use them, they are at optimum operating conditions for the best sound. All warmed up and ready to go.

So, to each his own.

One suggestion.....if you are going to leave the amp on......and you've had this problem.....maybe get into the habit of turning the volume down to avoid blowing speakers....

·
Legend
156 Posts
In these days of outrageous energy costs, it makes the most sense to turn off equipment not in use.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wmschultz said:
Power fluctuation, random reboot, download of new software even though current
software is already there.. I think if you look at the system info it tells you the last
time the box received a download.
I'll take a look, but I doubt it was a download; and the DVR is on its own UPS.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
matto said:
Here's a new one that should be good for some chuckles. My wife just said she came home this evening to blasting audio from the living room.

I leave my receiver and power amp on 24/7, and just power the TV on/off, and at the same time put the HR20 in standby.

When I went to sleep last night, the HR20 was in standby. When I left for work this morning, the HR20 was in standby- and my wife had already left for work.

Either the thing turned itself on, or it crashed in standby mode, and rebooted into power-on mode.

Whichever it was, its considered poor form for a home entertainment device. Aside from all the other problems, now I need to worry about what it'll do when I leave for vacations?!
I've had the exact same issue. The other night I was snoring so my wife booted me to the basement. Around 4am the system turned on and scared me half to death. It happened again a few days later, but the second time I didn't notice it until I came downstairs the next day to do some laundry.

I've got a Yamaha receiver and I leave it on and just power off the television and HR20.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.