DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are a hasty, impatient, judgemental or intolerant person, stop reading now.
I know virtually nothing about computers and wireless technology. My friend says a streaming video site I referred her to has huge buffering lag that makes it unusable, but with my hardwired internet, it works fine for me. She has a "dumb" flatscreen TV and uses Firestick / amazon prime and a wireless modem to get on the internet.
Why would SeriesHD site lag with her wireless / firestick, while it runs fine on my hardwired cable internet?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
Is she using the same Internet Service Provider as you?

Here's some possibilities:
  1. Her broadband connection is poor (or she's running up against some sort of cap where the ISP is throttling her connection). When you say "wireless modem" do you mean "hot spot" or do you mean "Wi-fi"?
  2. Her Wi-fi connection is poor.
  3. She is watching at high-volume times when the service is struggling to keep up (I'm experiencing some buffering now with that site and I have a 75Mbps broadband connection)?
The idea is to figure out what the problem isn't and then go to work on what remains.

·
1,352 Posts
when you say wireless modem are you talking about a cellular hotspot :unsure:. if so she may need to look at her device or there online acct and see how data they used or she could be getting prioritized. i'm sitting here watching it with a verizon 5G jetpack with a network switch. i have no issues with the site it loaded right up in under a second :eek: :oops:. there's no buffering when i FF though a show also

·
Icon
2,703 Posts
Since you appear to be talking about Prime Video, I have issues with it as well. It doesn't matter what my connection is. I have two TV's connected via hardwire and one TV connected via Wifi. I'm using an Nvdia Shield on all 3 TV's. I Have 1GB Internet. When I look at my speed via Netflix, I'm getting over 500Mbs through the hardwire connections and over 200Mbs from the Wifi connection.

So far, the problems that I have appear to be more program related than anything else. I had serious buffering problems watching Bosch Legacy (using both the Prime Video and Freevee apps). I had horrible problems watching The Boys. With Bosch Legacy, I would get a lot of buffering whenever the commercials began and ended, along with some buffering while watching the show. With The Boys, the picture would freeze approximately every 4 minutes for approximately 20 seconds while it buffered. In both cases, it didn't matter which TV I watched on and it didn't matter what time it was.

I just started watching The Terminal List and I've been watching All Or Nothing: Arsenal and haven't had any buffering problems at all. I don't know if Bosch and The Boys are both more popular than The Terminal List and All or Nothing. But, I'm assuming that The Boys is. At this point, I have to assume that something is going wrong on Amazon's end.

When doing a search Online, I've found many people with the same complaints in Prime Videos support site. But, all they get from the support people is a pre-written answer that basically says "connect with Ethernet, reboot your router, reboot you device, etc..." Essentially they are absolutely no help at all.

I have absolutely zero problems with any other streaming service

·
Super Moderator
53,869 Posts
My friend says a streaming video site I referred her to has huge buffering lag that makes it unusable, but with my hardwired internet, it works fine for me.
Ok ... what is her ISP and what is your ISP?

As for SeriesHD ... any site that claims to be 100% legal probably is not. (Legitimate sites don't need to make such claims.) I thought it might be legitimately available old movies but they have links to movies other services are charging $20 for so I assume they are hacking direct links to get around payment systems on legitimate streamers.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
As for SeriesHD ... any site that claims to be 100% legal probably is not. (Legitimate sites don't need to make such claims.) I thought it might be legitimately available old movies but they have links to movies other services are charging $20 for so I assume they are hacking direct links to get around payment systems on legitimate streamers.
They also appear to be claiming that their service is ad-free, but in the few seconds that I tinkered with it, I experienced both an ad and a pop-up. Clearly, the service isn't exactly what they claim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts