DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gosh, have they run out of stuff to blow up? Frankenfish?

This season has been a bit of a disappointment to me thus far. Although watching Grant bug out on the jalapeno paste was fun.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
I enjoyed this episode and the supersized show as well. Mythbusters has always been a bit heavy on the repetitive buildup in and out of every break, so I just post more during those bits. :)

Happy Holidays!
Tom

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they missed the whole point, which they even alluded to. I expect the saying referred to shooting into a barrel full of already dead fish, which would indeed easily yield dead fish. They even said that they were "unable to determine" if the myth meant one fish swimming or a barrel of dead ones but went on to say that fish rarely swim in barrels and on the other hand were routinely transported (dead) in them.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
To that point, the simulated "live" fish wasn't very sporting either, it didn't move very much dangling on that string.

Happy Holidays!
Tom

·
520 Posts
Just seemed like an opportunity for them to shoot stuff again. Of course, if my job was to make a dead fish swim by installing robotics and then try and shoot that fish in a barrel of water, I'm so there. As a veiwer though....meh. Did enjoy the hot sauce stuff though.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
First off, I think I agree with Stuart that the saying most likely refers to shooting a barrel full of dead fish... which would obviously be easy to hit a fish...

But, I understand why they'd test the live fish swimming in a barrel, since they couldn't verify the origins of the saying. The results though, seemed 'fishy'. :)

The shock wave from a 9mm doesn't seem like it's that big that it would kill fish in a barrel. I know they used their shock patches, and according to the shock patches that they would have killed fish.... but that just seems far fetched to my unscientific mind... I would have liked to see some goldfish in the barrel and shoot a 9mm in there and see what happens. I know that they would NEVER be allowed to do that, but that's what I wanted to see in order to prove or disprove their theory...

Grant and the jalapenos were pretty fun though.

And the grand finale barrel shooting was tons of fun, even if it was completely pointless to the myth itself. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
First off, I think I agree with Stuart that the saying most likely refers to shooting a barrel full of dead fish... which would obviously be easy to hit a fish...

But, I understand why they'd test the live fish swimming in a barrel, since they couldn't verify the origins of the saying. The results though, seemed 'fishy'. :)

The shock wave from a 9mm doesn't seem like it's that big that it would kill fish in a barrel. I know they used their shock patches, and according to the shock patches that they would have killed fish.... but that just seems far fetched to my unscientific mind... I would have liked to see some goldfish in the barrel and shoot a 9mm in there and see what happens. I know that they would NEVER be allowed to do that, but that's what I wanted to see in order to prove or disprove their theory...

Grant and the jalapenos were pretty fun though.

And the grand finale barrel shooting was tons of fun, even if it was completely pointless to the myth itself. :)
But why wouldn't they be "allowed" to shoot live fish in a barrel. They sell ones for feeding purposes at pet stores. Its those stupid animal rights activists. Screw them. Go catch some fish, put them in the barrel and shoot them. If they die, eat them. What's the issue?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
ebaltz said:
But why wouldn't they be "allowed" to shoot live fish in a barrel. They sell ones for feeding purposes at pet stores. Its those stupid animal rights activists. Screw them. Go catch some fish, put them in the barrel and shoot them. If they die, eat them. What's the issue?
I don't really have a problem with it... though if they feel that the shock patches were good enough to prove their theory then shooting live fish in a barrel becomes superflous - and I think that's where people would have been upset.... It wasn't really necessary to prove their hypothesis so it really would serve no point.... other than satisfying the curiosity of people like myself who find it hard to believe the facts alone..

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which all supports my point that this show is in the doldrums and needs to find its footing again.

·
Godfather
477 Posts
What about the Elephant and the Mouse myth? I'm not sure that I'd say that the elephant was terrified of the mouse, but it certainly went out of it's way to avoid it. I would have bet cold, hard cash that the elephant wouldn't care a bit about a tiny little mouse. I found that pretty interesting.

·
Legend
159 Posts
chris0 said:
What about the Elephant and the Mouse myth? I'm not sure that I'd say that the elephant was terrified of the mouse, but it certainly went out of it's way to avoid it. I would have bet cold, hard cash that the elephant wouldn't care a bit about a tiny little mouse. I found that pretty interesting.
I've always heard that mice tend to run up their trunks and cause havoc. I'd like to see them test that! :lol:

·
Legend
128 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
I don't really have a problem with it... though if they feel that the shock patches were good enough to prove their theory then shooting live fish in a barrel becomes superflous - and I think that's where people would have been upset.... It wasn't really necessary to prove their hypothesis so it really would serve no point.... other than satisfying the curiosity of people like myself who find it hard to believe the facts alone..
You've got to figure that they went ahead and tried it with real fish off the air, right? If you were them, wouldn't you have to satisfy your own curiosity?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You've got to figure that they went ahead and tried it with real fish off the air, right? If you were them, wouldn't you have to satisfy your own curiosity?
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I just saw this Mythbusters episode and was irate hearing their assumption that the shockwave would instantly kill all of the fish.
My experiment -
When I was younger I caught about 15 fish ranging in size from 2-3 inches long and placed them in a five gallon bucket with roughly one gallon of water in it, the fish were pretty densely crowded in the bucket. I then fired around 30-50 .22 rounds into the bucket with a rifle, having the muzzle placed within the bucket starting at the brim. Then after a few rounds seemed to do nothing I moved the muzzle to 3-6 inches above the water which was only 4-6 inches deep. None of the fish were injured or died, just a pile of bullets laying on the bottom of the bucket. Based on that trial I would say that it is not easy to shoot fish in a barrel. It may be 🔫 dependant but them saying the shockwave would kill all the fish was simply not true in my experiment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts