DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Godfather
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain NATIVE setting to me?

What difference will be noticed when NATIVE setting is set to OFF instead of ON ?

I've read several times in different posts that suggest turning NATIVE off. Why?

Thanks in advance for your response!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My understanding is Native On will cause the HR20 to output the received signal in the same resolution without changing it. Native Off will have the HR20 output it's signal in whatever resolution(s) your TV accepts. In my case I am running Native On because my SXRD XBR1 seems to upconvert and scale better then the HR20 does. So, I pass the signal through the HR20, as it was received, and let the TV do the rest of the work.

Anyway, that's my understanding,

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
john18 said:
My understanding is Native On will cause the HR20 to output the received signal in the same resolution without changing it. Native Off will have the HR20 output it's signal in whatever resolution(s) your TV accepts. In my case I am running Native On because my SXRD XBR1 seems to upconvert and scale better then the HR20 does. So, I pass the signal through the HR20, as it was received, and let the TV do the rest of the work.

Anyway, that's my understanding,
That's correct. You do experience a delay when changing channels with Native ON. It's also easier to troubleshoot problems with Native Off.

I've tried it both ways and don't find any advantage here for Native ON, so I leave it off and fix the output resolution to match my TV (720p)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
True, but it's also worth mentioning that with some TVs, using Native on will slow down channel changes and result in a second or so of snow before making channel changes.

·
Icon
764 Posts
lamontcranston said:
True, but it's also worth mentioning that with some TVs, using Native on will slow down channel changes and result in a second or so of snow before making channel changes.
Yes mine is dog slow on channel changes, with native turned on, it cycles thru all 4 resolutions. I have it off and stretch, and find all channels look great, SD is stretched but at 1080i and it does not seem anywhere near as 'wide' and distorted as it used to with my tivo box--using the format switch on my TV remote. The tv remote format doesn't even work now with my settings, but even SD looks much better.

Does this hr20 upconvert everything? It seems to. The picture on stations that I know are SD is much better than it was with tivo and is also in psuedo 16:9, looking a lot better than the TV's format button was doing before.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I am one of the few here that has Native turned on. I was under the impression that with native Off, I would have to adjust the resolution each time I changed a channel fromfrom 480 to 1080. Is this wrong?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Mixer said:
I am one of the few here that has Native turned on. I was under the impression that with native Off, I would have to adjust the resolution each time I changed a channel fromfrom 480 to 1080. Is this wrong?
For me, other then "forcing" my 480 content to be stretched by the HR20 instead of the TV, I see no different between watching a 480i program on my "locked 720p" resolution, then having it drop back down to "native' 480i.

Each person's TV is going to play a major factor in that though.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Native off, set the HR-20 upconvert everything to 1080I, and let my projector scale the image works best for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
So based on your setup i would turn Native Off and then only select 1080i as the resolution that my TV can handle and uncheck 480i, 480p, and 720p (which my Mits does not do) That way when I tune into an HD channel it will always be 1080i?

Earl Bonovich said:
For me, other then "forcing" my 480 content to be stretched by the HR20 instead of the TV, I see no different between watching a 480i program on my "locked 720p" resolution, then having it drop back down to "native' 480i.

Each person's TV is going to play a major factor in that though.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Thats what I do with my setup.

The HR-20 does a good job upscaling 480 & 720 signals to 1080I so I just leave mine on the 1080I setting. I unchecked 480I,480P,720P. This removes them from the cycle when you press the format button as well which makes it nice.

Native would be a good thing if #1. It did not take forever to change channels. #2. If your TV had a better scaler than the HR-20 has. (You be the judge on that).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I have been lucky as with Native On my channel changes have only been taking between 1-2 seconds. Used to be closer to 3. I have turned Natvie Off though for nopw and will see how things go.

Thanks all for the tips.

Brantel said:
Native would be a good thing if #1. It did not take forever to change channels. #2. If your TV had a better scaler than the HR-20 has. (You be the judge on that).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Mixer said:
So based on your setup i would turn Native Off and then only select 1080i as the resolution that my TV can handle and uncheck 480i, 480p, and 720p (which my Mits does not do) That way when I tune into an HD channel it will always be 1080i?
Close.

Just turn Native Off, and set the format to 1080i
(you don't need to uncheck 480i, 480p, 720p)

Also... you can hold down the format button (on the remote), for three seconds and have the resolution changed to the NATIVE resolution for the program.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
But Earl as Brantel said that would make it so that when you do press the format button it has to scroll through all of the format settings for 480i and 480p if those are checked. Is there anything wrong (different) with having these unchecked?

Earl Bonovich said:
Close.

Just turn Native Off, and set the format to 1080i
(you don't need to uncheck 480i, 480p, 720p)

Also... you can hold down the format button (on the remote), for three seconds and have the resolution changed to the NATIVE resolution for the program.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Mixer said:
But Earl as Brantel said that would make it so that when you do press the format button it has to scroll through all of the format settings for 480i and 480p if those are checked. Is there anything wrong (different) with having these unchecked?
Well yes, if you are still "changing" the format option of the unit...
It will scroll through those if they are checked.

But how I use the system, I don't change the format. I leave it at 720p for everything.

On a RARE occasion, I will hold the format button down and let it jump to native resolution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.