DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would I turn on other resolutions than 1080i, given that my TV supports that and HDMI?

Is there some advantage to not letting the H20 convert the signal to 1080i? Why should I choose to have the native resolution sent to my TV?

Carl

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
You might prefer to let your TV's internal scaler do the work rather than the one in the HR20.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Depending on your TV.... Make/Model.

The HR20 may do a better job of up-scalling the picture. In that case, yes you would want to leave it at 1080i.

Other TV's... may have a better scaller then the HR20... so you want to send the TV as much of an unaltered image as possible, to let it do the job... aka "native mode".

Really depends on the TV... and it actually capabilities.

Just because a TV can accept a 1080i signal, doesn't necessarily mean it can display a 1080i picture.

·
Legend
187 Posts
My tv (a toshiba 50hdx80, from 2002) doesn't seem to have an internal scaler, at least that I know of. When I used native, the 480i and 480p looked a lot more blocky. My tv says that it does not support 720p, although I can see a 720p picture. It looks better than 480p, but doesn't look nearly as good as 1080i. I don't think I have ever seen 720p on a set that is supposed to support it. Hopefully, it looks a lot better than it does on my tv.

So in effect, I let my HR20 do the upscaling to 1080i only and turn native off.

·
Legend
156 Posts
Use whatever looks best to you.

·
Legend
192 Posts
In addition to whateveryone else has said, one reason you would likely not want to do 1080i on 720p material is 720p contains 60 full frames of data every second while 1080i includes only 30 frames per second (really 60 fields per second), so you would likely be loosing picture data.

At the end of the day it really just depends on what looks best to you, but remember to make your decision based on not just one channel - try 480i, 720p, and 1080i content with Native on and then with hard-coding to specific resolutions to see what looks best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.