DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
NBC just bought The Weather Channel.

Look for Wx+ to possibly be replaced, rather than eliminated.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I liked to be able to view the local radar without having to go on my computer. I hope NBC will introduce something new to the -2 subchannels similar to this after TWC acquisition.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I liked it as well.. but in my local market we have two choices. We have the NBC Weather+ on the NBC sub-channel... and we have a local weather channel on our FOX station that is ran by our local affiliate WRAL and they do a great job with weather.

Since I have duplication, I would prefer having more bandwidth on the NBC... The FOX is running 720p and can better handle the extra subchannel for weather than NBC can at 1080i.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Well this really stinks...Weather + is the only decent all the time weather station I get. TWC stinks even with the new on the 8s in SD as it is not all the time (still have to wait).

I loved being able tune to the Weather + channel and see the weather quickly...

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Along with The Weather Channel purchase came WSI, a weather company that makes the software used for broadcast weather presentation, and data.

NBC Weather+ uses equipment from Weather Central, a WSI competitor.

It will be interesting to see if NBC will reimburse their affiliates that purchased WxCentral hardware, and install WSI.

So, it will take more than simple re-branding of the product.

This will be interesting to watch.

· Legend
212 Posts
I noticed (I don;t have an OTA antenna) that our NBC affiliate has been running promotions for "Universal Sports" on the same subchannel that the weather is/was being broadcast. So it appears the bandwidth "sharing" will continue.

· Icon
867 Posts
NBC Launches Sports Network
The channel will replace Weather Plus.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 14, 2008) -- NBC Universal is offering a 24-hour sports network to its affiliate and network-owned stations as a replacement for its Weather Plus operation.

That's according to an article by TV Week.

The network this month axed Weather Plus, its four-year partnership with local stations that offered local and national weather on their digital stations. NBC Universal announced that Weather Plus would be phased out by year's end.

According to TV Week, some NBC stations have already begun airing the 24-hour sports network in its spot. Called Universal Sports, the channel will provide more than 2,400 hours of live programming a year in addition to 5,000 hours of past highlights.

The channel, which will emphasize Olympic favorites such as skiing, track and field and gymnastics, will begin airing the World Cup Ski Season from October through March, TV Week reports.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/nbc101408.htm

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I'd rather have a local weather channel (like Wx Plus) than a crappy sports channel. For sports, I watch ESPN, Vs, Golf, and the RSNs.

· Icon
769 Posts
n3ntj said:
I'd rather have a local weather channel (like Wx Plus) than a crappy sports channel. For sports, I watch ESPN, Vs, Golf, and the RSNs.
yes, i think more americans share an interest in the weather than they do in "olympic favorites such as skiing, track and field and gymnastics."

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I can wait another 4 years to get my fix for badmitton, synchronized diving, handball (was more like dodge ball), etc. Give me my local weather.. (and no, I have SD duplicates turned off, so having to turn on SD channels just to get my local wx on 362 isn't gonna work).

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
n3ntj said:
I can wait another 4 years to get my fix for badmitton, synchronized diving, handball (was more like dodge ball), etc. Give me my local weather.. (and no, I have SD duplicates turned off, so having to turn on SD channels just to get my local wx on 362 isn't gonna work).
I cured the SD on/off problem a long time ago, I created a favorites list excluding all the SD duplicates but the ones I chose to keep. Didn't really take that long to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.