DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why doesn't Dish carry NCAA Mega March Madness but DirecTV does? I understand about the NFL Sunday Ticket but did Dish drop the ball on working out a deal for Mega Madness also? Now that I lost my CBS out of Chicago, I'm not going to be happy come tournament time.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
NCAA sold the exclusive satellite rights to DirecTV for an extended period last year. That's all there is to it. Dish will not have it.

Many CBS HD channels may run a couple of games different games on their sub-channels. They did this last year. Not sure about it this year.

If you want Mega March Madness, switch to DirecTV. It's your only recourse if your cable system won't have it or if your local HD channel doesn't have it, or if your local does have it and you don't on an HD set or decoder

See ya
Tony

·
Godfather
292 Posts
Cox Cable here in Vegas gives it's digital subs the Mega March Madness package FOR FREE. It's all SD, but it's still free. Can't beat that. Check with your local cable co. and see if they also do this.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
It was free last year to get it from the NCAA site as well, but you had to login like an hour or two before the game to get access, OR, they offered a pay version where you would get immediate access. I just remember being at work on a lunch break, thought I would turn on the game on my computer, only to watch a 'please wait in quo' the entire time...

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can Dish get an exclusive package on anything? Do they just bow out and let DTV run the show? Seems like it.

Hadn't heard about the exclusive agreement. Thanks for the info. But how can Cox Cable give it up, but Dish can't? Confusing.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
I believe as TNGTony pointed out the NCAA sold the exclusive SATELLITE rights to the MMM to D*. That would not preclude it from showing up on cable only E*.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Hadn't heard about the exclusive agreement. Thanks for the info. But how can Cox Cable give it up, but Dish can't? Confusing.
NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings all appeared on cable a year or two before Dish, DirecTV had exclusive satellite rights, which obviously didn't apply to InDemand. Some wern't always exclusive, I know NHL CI was available on Primerstar. ESPN Game Plan, ESPN Full Court and MLS Shootout/Direct Kick were never exclusive to anyone. NFL Sunday Ticket is a US mini dish exclusive. Up until a few years ago you could get Sunday Ticket on C-Band. NFL ST is also available on the Canadian DBS providers, and cheaper then DirecTV too.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I like football... but the NFL Sunday Ticket is WAY overpriced in my opinion, so no motivation for me to even consider that even if Dish did have it available. So Dish is better served, in my opinion, not trying to get into a bidding war over that!

I do not know what the NCAA wanted as an exclusive to the Mega March Madness... but fortunately, my local CBS station multicasts the games during the NCAA tournament for free OTA so I get the same ability for no cost at all... so I wouldn't be willing to pay for it on Dish either, so I hadn't noticed they didn't have it available.

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HDMe said:
I do not know what the NCAA wanted as an exclusive to the Mega March Madness... but fortunately, my local CBS station multicasts the games during the NCAA tournament for free OTA so I get the same ability for no cost at all... so I wouldn't be willing to pay for it on Dish either, so I hadn't noticed they didn't have it available.
That would be great!!! Too bad I don't have a local CBS. Nor do I have my 3 distant CBS's either!

·
Godfather
292 Posts
Codeman00 said:
Because of the exclusive agreement. D* is the exclusive SATELLITE provider for the package, hence why D* cannot provide it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
NFL ST is also available on the Canadian DBS providers, and cheaper then DirecTV too.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that unlike the situation with DirecTV and NFLST, NFLST in Canada is also available via Cable, so its DBS agreement must only be for satellite and NFLST...

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Dish will not pay too much for this muffler. :)

Thanks for reviving a 3 month-old thread for that comment.

See ya
Tony

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TNGTony said:
Dish will not pay too much for this muffler. :)

Thanks for reviving a 3 month-old thread for that comment.

See ya
Tony
I too thank you for reviving this thread. Its a good week to do so since it's the start of the NCAA tournament and I have to wonder if I will able to get my game through my new shiny San Franscisco CBS feed. We will see.

Thanks again Dish Network! Thank you for taking away my CBS Chicago, CBSHD NY, and CBS LA! Thank you for not having the March Madness package!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
Codeman00 said:
I too thank you for reviving this thread. Its a good week to do so since it's the start of the NCAA tournament and I have to wonder if I will able to get my game through my new shiny San Franscisco CBS feed. We will see.

Thanks again Dish Network! Thank you for taking away my CBS Chicago, CBSHD NY, and CBS LA! Thank you for not having the March Madness package!
I think you mistook the "thanks"! :rolleyes:

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slamminc11 said:
I think you mistook the "thanks"! :rolleyes:
I didn't mistake the thanks at all. Just wanted to thank him for bringing up the topic again so I could vent again.

I think I'm going to luck out though...San Fran CBS is carrying my game.

·
AllStar
109 Posts
Codeman00 said:
I didn't mistake the thanks at all. Just wanted to thank him for bringing up the topic again so I could vent again.

I think I'm going to luck out though...San Fran CBS is carrying my game.
on the plus side, you should have plenty of free time once the 2H starts since it will be Purdue playing!! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.