DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that the HR20 ONLY did not have dual live buffers. I thought at the very least you could switch between both tuners (causing the buffer to be lost). In other words .. watch a particular channel for 90 minutes, if you switched tuners then you would lose that 90 minutes of buffer and start anew on the second tuner. Then switching back to the previous tuner, losing all buffered material on tuner two... Is this not the case? Their is no way to switch between tuners unless one show is being recorded?

:nono: This is not a "why don't we have dual buffers" thread, but a ..

"Can I switch between tuners w/o recording anything" thread?

Before you ask why ...
NFST... I have four games that I have interest in over and above the other 10. I don't care that I miss some of one or another game as long as I am not watching commercials. With "up to 13 games" being played surely one of them is not on a commercial. So I switch back and fourth between games not caring about the buffer just wanting to swap back and fourth. If there is a commercial on the two channels I have selected its on to the next.. so recording is mildly annoying.

TIA 4 your help, and I did search the forums prior to writing this

MJB

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Blitz7734 said:
I thought that the HR20 ONLY did not have dual live buffers. I thought at the very least you could switch between both tuners (causing the buffer to be lost). In other words .. watch a particular channel for 90 minutes, if you switched tuners then you would lose that 90 minutes of buffer and start anew on the second tuner. Then switching back to the previous tuner, losing all buffered material on tuner two... Is this not the case? Their is no way to switch between tuners unless one show is being recorded?

:nono: This is not a "why don't we have dual buffers" thread, but a ..

"Can I switch between tuners w/o recording anything" thread?

Before you ask why ...
NFST... I have four games that I have interest in over and above the other 10. I don't care that I miss some of one or another game as long as I am not watching commercials. With "up to 13 games" being played surely one of them is not on a commercial. So I switch back and fourth between games not caring about the buffer just wanting to swap back and fourth. If there is a commercial on the two channels I have selected its on to the next.. so recording is mildly annoying.

TIA 4 your help, and I did search the forums prior to writing this

MJB
I'm not sure I understand your question entirely. But for what it's worth:

I have not found a way to "switch" to the other tuner, other than by starting a recording, and then changing the channel. If you are not recording anything, you cannot switch to the other tuner. I hope someone flames me telling me how wrong I am, but I do believe this is the case.

Isn't that absolutely ridiculous? And people wonder why some of us miss our TIVOs!!!!!

And from what I am now understanding, D* is merely "considering" adding this feature.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
You can't switch "tuners", that is what dual buffers is for and the HR20 doesn't have it.

But I'm not understanding the problem you have. Been using the HR20 all season with NFLST and I'm switching between multiple games all day long. Each time you switch you dump the buffer. I don't record any of the games.
So what is it that you are missing that you are expecting to happen? It all works exactly as you are attempting to use it, especially since you don't care about the buffer, just want to switch games.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I have a hr10-250 that I have been doing this procedure with. I don't worry about the buffers ... I just was expecting the tuner to be showing what ever channel it was curerently tuned to .... sort of like turning on a tv -- what ever channel it was previously on prior to turning off was the channel it was on when you turned it on.. thus actually seeing live tv... "not buffered" which is what I thought everyone was complaing about. Didn't realize that you could only watch ONE tuner (buffered or not) That fact never came across in any of the "dual buffer forums"

Thanks for the info though,

MJB

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just color me a gi-normous dork :sure: I been using the switch between tuners" thing for so long that I completely forgot about going back to the previous channel

:D

Sorry to waste everyones time -- oy-vey

mjb

:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.