DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony KDS60A2000 who's native resolution is 1080p. I currently have my HR20 Native setting OFF (can't stand the delayed, "violent" channel changes) and have it set at 1080i. My question is, would I be better off to set the HR20 at 480p and use my TV's scaler to upconvert to the HD resolution? I am looking to get the best picture possible with the least amount of conversion steps in the process. I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
First of all, if you set the res on the HR20 to 480p you are not outputting an HD picture. True HD content will be downsampled to 480 and that means that you'll lose up to 50% of the image data.

IMO the scaler in the HR20 is pretty good. After a lot of experiments, I've decided that the best quality for me is native but close behind that is 1080i locked in from the HR20. My TV is 1366x768 which means it's downsampling 1080i content about 39%. If I had set everything to 720p it would be upsampling less than 10%. I work in graphics and in what I do it's always better to oversample then downsample dramatically rather than upsample just a little.

I don't know much about your particular set but most 1080p sets can convert 1080i to 1080p on the fly. I would think that there would be little, if no, data loss there.

Like you, I keep native off to avoid snowy channel changes.

· Crivens!
768 Posts
gusbuf said:
My question is, would I be better off to set the HR20 at 480p and use my TV's scaler to upconvert to the HD resolution?
No!!!

This would be similar to taking a nice high res digital picture, resizing it to 640x480, and then sizing it back up to 3200x2400. The data you throw away during the down sizing does not come back during the upsizing.

You have two good choices:
  • If you think the TV's scaler is better, then set the HR20 to "Native ON" and let it pass the incoming signals to the TV for scaling.
  • If you think the HR20's scaler is better, then set the HR20 to "Native OFF" and lock the output resolution at either 720p or 1080i or both (depending on whether you want ultimate pixel counts (1080i) or smoother motion (720p) or want to set it yourself according to what you're watching (both).

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I have a Samsung 1080p set and I think its internal scaler is better than that of the HR20. I keep Native set to ON and let my set do what it needs to do to present the picture. I have, in the past, kept the HR20 set to output 1080i only and that does speed channel changes but at the price of a little picture quality loss.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
gusbuf said:
I have a Sony KDS60A2000 who's native resolution is 1080p. I currently have my HR20 Native setting OFF (can't stand the delayed, "violent" channel changes) and have it set at 1080i. My question is, would I be better off to set the HR20 at 480p and use my TV's scaler to upconvert to the HD resolution? I am looking to get the best picture possible with the least amount of conversion steps in the process. I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!
I hope this doesn't turn into another multi-day debate since it is all to the eye of the beholder.
I have a Sony FP 1080P, that you can "throw anything at" and end up with a good picture. The HR-20 does a good job.
I'm playing with native on, right now, with 480i, 720P, & 1080i set. I hate the lag, the guide looks poor when tuned to a SD channel.
Watching CNN this morning, the SD picture looks a little sharper with this setting. Is it the TV or "how I feel" today? It's anybody's guess. This is such a subjective "thing" that I don't think there ever will be "the right" answer. It may be psychological more than technical.
So I would say if you could see a difference between the HR-20 & your TV in picture quality, HD channels would have the least & SD might show the most.
Your mileage Will vary.:)

· DBSTalk Club Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your opinions. Well appreciated!

4 Posts
Has anybody noticed that when using an hdmi cable, the program guide looks great in 480 but a little blurry in 1080. I have a Sony XBR3 LCD and the Pioneer Elite plasma. Both use hdmi and both have the same effect. Any thoughts???

· Cool Member
23 Posts
romanomagic said:
Has anybody noticed that when using an hdmi cable, the program guide looks great in 480 but a little blurry in 1080. I have a Sony XBR3 LCD and the Pioneer Elite plasma. Both use hdmi and both have the same effect. Any thoughts???
Romanmagic-

I'm using an HDMI cord to my samsung DLP 5087 (1080p) and I notice the same thing. Guide looks crisp on 480, but blurred when H20 set to 1080i or 720p.

Mike

· Legend
175 Posts
lamontcranston said:
First of all, if you set the res on the HR20 to 480p you are not outputting an HD picture. True HD content will be downsampled to 480 and that means that you'll lose up to 50% of the image data.

IMO the scaler in the HR20 is pretty good. After a lot of experiments, I've decided that the best quality for me is native but close behind that is 1080i locked in from the HR20. My TV is 1366x768 which means it's downsampling 1080i content about 39%. If I had set everything to 720p it would be upsampling less than 10%. I work in graphics and in what I do it's always better to oversample then downsample dramatically rather than upsample just a little.

I don't know much about your particular set but most 1080p sets can convert 1080i to 1080p on the fly. I would think that there would be little, if no, data loss there.

Like you, I keep native off to avoid snowy channel changes.
This is exactly what I have found. I also have a 768 display and I leave the HR20 locked at 1080i over HDMI with Native off. I also tried locking at 720p, and also using Native On, but to my eyes 1080i + Native Off gives the best overall PQ & user experience. YMMV.

200 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Same with my Sony
Same here with my Sony, guide looks perfect in 1080i using HDMI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.