DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have HD service with a 921 and 6000, All Everything Package and the legacy HD programming. I would like to upgrade to a leased 622, 211 and Platinum HD. I have both a 500 and a 300 dish (pointed at 61.5), so I wouldn't need to upgrade the dishes.

I've been to the Dish website and can't find the upgrade offer that gave credits on programming for exchanging old receivers and upgrading to the new HD programming. If someone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

Last time I upgraded equipment, I went through a local retailer who is no longer listed in the Yellow Pages. There are two different numbers for upgrading listed on Dish's website: the usual CSR number and 1-888-284-7116. Does it matter which one I use, or should I try to contact another local retailer? Any advice appreciated.

·
Godfather
300 Posts
I dont have any advice as I upgraded from AT 180 to HD Gold a few weeks back. Its been a nightmare, bascially to sum it up " Way more trouble than it worth".

Everything from equipment failures to constant billing errors to pure frustration. I opened up a can of worms with dish.

:nono2: I would leave in a heartbeat but I just dont trust dish to give me back my money under their 30 day money back gurantee. I paid 300 bucks for their 622 and 211 boxes.

So for anyone out there looking to upgrade be prepared for a dogfight to get the service done right.

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
calgary2800 said:
I dont have any advice as I upgraded from AT 180 to HD Gold a few weeks back. Its been a nightmare, bascially to sum it up " Way more trouble than it worth".

Everything from equipment failures to constant billing errors to pure frustration. I opened up a can of worms with dish.

:nono2: I would leave in a heartbeat but I just dont trust dish to give me back my money under their 30 day money back gurantee. I paid 300 bucks for their 622 and 211 boxes.

So for anyone out there looking to upgrade be prepared for a dogfight to get the service done right.
Do I assume from the lack of comments to the contrary that everyone agrees with this?

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
WildBill said:
Do I assume from the lack of comments to the contrary that everyone agrees with this?
No... If you assume that... then you would have to also assume that there is only one customer with any problem with Dish because only one person posted that and no one else posted to say "me too" for having upgrade problems.

I haven't upgraded yet to a ViP and the new HD channels, so I can't say... but in the past my upgrades with Dish have been pretty smooth.

·
AllStar
99 Posts
My upgrade in Feb to a 211 & 510 went very smooth other than a lot charges and credits for about 2 months but it ended up right. Cant wait for Feb to upgrade my 811 to a vip622 as the 510 has me hooked on DVRs but its in our office.

Mike

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I upgraded from a 6000 to a 622 in Feb of this year. I haven't gone over to one of the metal packages since I was paying by year and I would have lost that discount in going to Metal. I will move to a metal package in Jan. I currently have just the regular HD channels and the Voom package. I chose to sell me 6000 on ebay since Dish was only offering me $50 for it and I sold it for just over $500 on ebay. The 622 is a great receiver in my opinion. After a few glitches in the first couple weeks, everything has been fine since then.

..Doyle

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to see that it worked out (eventually) for some of you, but I'm still wondering about the best way to do it.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I guess we didn't answer your basic question. I called the regular CSR number and said I wanted to upgrade. You can do the same and they will give you an offer. I think I would advise doing that first. You will be leasing the box through Dish not a local dealer. If you like that offer, you can proceed if not you can tell them you are going to think about it and hang up and call a local dealer. At least you will know what they are offering. If you feel the $50 is a good deal for you 6000 then go ahead and send it to them. It is a unique receiver in that it does have an RGBHV (VGA) output in addition to Component and none of the new receivers have that. This makes it valuable to a number of people who have CRT projectors. On the other hand, Dish is moving toward Mpeg4 on HD an eventually this receiver will be obsoleted. Today it still has reasonable value both here and in Canada (expressvu system). Whether you want to go through the hassle of selling on ebay is up to you.

..Doyle

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Doyle. That is helpful. I check out ebay prices. Judging from the return problems that others have posted, it may not be much more of a hassle to sell the old receivers online.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.