DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had my AT9 dish installed last friday and at the time the installer said that the LNB had a problem and he would come back to replace it.

He said the problem would only affect my signals in that they would be a little lower than normal. But later when I tried a HD local channel I found the colors to be almost inverted. This is consistant and on every single HD local channel.

I do have the non-powered multi swich and less than 100' cable run. All my other receivers work fine, as they did with the old dish.

D* tech support believed that it was caused by the bad lnb but the installer came out today and replaced it and the local HD channels still have the color problem.

I tried a receiver reset and it did not help. I tried with and without the conversion boxes with no luck.

I tried both component and HDMI connections with no luck. I tried different output settings (i.e. 720p, 1080i) - no luck.

Could this still be a dish/lnb problem? Is there any type of special configuration on the dish that could affect only the local HD channels?

Everything else looks fine including the non-local HD HBOHD, SHOHD...etc).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Colors being inverted has ZERO to do with signal strength.
That is something to do between the receiver and the TV.

What do things look like via S-Video?

Since things are normal on SD and HBO-HD, then you are probably looking at a receiver that is failing on the MPEG-4 decoding.

·
Godfather
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Colors being inverted has ZERO to do with signal strength.
That is something to do between the receiver and the TV.

What do things look like via S-Video?

Since things are normal on SD and HBO-HD, then you are probably looking at a receiver that is failing on the MPEG-4 decoding.
It is not really that the colors are inverted but they are just screwed up. I know that low signals can't really cause this but was wondering if a bad lnb or dish could cause it (this is what D* technical support thought the problem was - the lnb)

Output device Television Couch Cable television Home appliance

Attachments

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
No, the LNB is just a low noise blocker. It just gets the signal. The Box decodes the
signal you get. SOOOO I would go with the bad decoder.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
clay_w said:
It is not really that the colors are inverted but they are just screwed up. I know that low signals can't really cause this but was wondering if a bad lnb or dish could cause it (this is what D* technical support thought the problem was - the lnb)

View attachment 6600
Yikes, do you have another HD source to test with to make sure it is not your display.

BTW I notice that you are watching a SD program. I have noticed on some SD programming that the gamma seems way high. This is very noticeable in cartoons like "Family Guy" when recorded off of Cartoon Network the color washout is very noticeable. The same issues does not exist when watching locals or other HD content. My DTiVo goes through a ISCAN video processor to convert Svideo to component, and both my HR20 and Dtivo go into a switching system, so I know they are going into the same component inputs as 480p on the display but the gamma levels from both STBs are different the HR20 appears to be set too high. If I get time I will post some pictures.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
ALso, turn the flash down and see if you can get the camera a little more sturdy..

The blue lights coming off the DVR are blurry.

·
Godfather
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btmoore said:
Yikes, do you have another HD source to test with to make sure it is not your display.

BTW I notice that you are watching a SD program. I have noticed on some SD programming that the gamma seems way high. This is very noticeable in cartoons like "Family Guy" when recorded off of Cartoon Network the color washout is very noticeable. The same issues does not exist when watching locals or other HD content. My DTiVo goes through a ISCAN video processor to convert Svideo to component, and both my HR20 and Dtivo go into a switching system, so I know they are going into the same component inputs as 480p on the display but the gamma levels from both STBs are different the HR20 appears to be set too high. If I get time I will post some pictures.
Yeah, the OTA HD from my HR10 are fine - it is defiantly only the HD locals on the HR20.

Since I bought this receiver at Best Buy last week (but *D credited me $300), I intended to return to Best Buy to exchange for another one but D* told me that it is not possible - that I would be charged $200 because the lease is with them and it is their receiver now.

Soooo.....they are sending me a refurb replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.