DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spend $200, I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts here first...

I'm interested in getting a 501 PVR but I'm not sure if I should wait until after the merger. If the merger goes through, will I have to trade my equipment in?

Also, do you think the 501 is worth the $200? Is it really as good as it sounds? Or should I just wait until future PVRs are released?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Get it now, dont worry about the merger, we don't even know if it will be approved yet. And plus both companies said if they have to replace equiptment it will be free of charge.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Kevin - I love my 501! I'd get another one for $200 if I didn't have to up my sub to AT150 to get it. Now, if DiscoveryHD were made part of AT150, then I'd up my sub immediately, and pick up another 501 as well!

·
Hall Of Fame
7,498 Posts
The 501 DOES NOT do HD - for that, you have to get a 6000. A 6000 has an optional 8vsb module that will enable it to receive OTA analog AND digital TV signals. Unfortunately, the 6000 is NOT an PVR. Wait about a year or so and Dish may have an HD PVR available.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
It will be at least a year before we actually see an HD PVR like the 721. The 921 was an idea floated over a year ago. In the last chat Charlie brushed on the subject and said it would be some time next year. That means LATE next year.

In the electronics game for 20 years, I've learned that unless there is a firm date and price for the "new & improved" item, you don't wait for it. By the time it comes out, there is only a week's window before there is some one talking about the next model coming out "soon". If you like what you see now and want it, get it. Advancements will not stop at the next model.

And has been stated here, both DirecTV and Dish have publicly stated (the latest statement by Charlie Ergen on 6/10's chat) that 1)they have no idea which system will be used in the merged company yet. and 2)if a customer needs new equipment to continue getting the service because of the merger, it will be provided free to the customer. The free equipment will be equivilant to what the customer owns at the time they need the replacement. So a cheap no-frills receiver will be repleased with a cheap no-frills receiver. A PVR will be replaced with a PVR, an HDTV receiver will be replaced with an HDTV receiver, and so on.

See ya
Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.