DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end. At my last house i peaked my dish perfect in 20 min. I cant figure out what is wrong here.

my 101 is all 93 -98.
110 is 89-92 and 119 is 93-100.

I cant get my 103c out of the 78-89 range.

the mast is plumb. i brought a tv on the roof with me and for the life of me in any direction could not get any 103 transponder above 89.

I can only think of a few other options.

Either Something is wrong with the MS, the LNB or the HR21 cant read the 103 signal levels right(highly doubting this one)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
veryoldschool said:
I have the same thing [or close], I can dither the 103c all I want and have left it "in the middle".
My 99c are in the 60-70s. I may try my spare LNB.
my 99C is all low 80's

Cable runs are all less then 50ft

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
compnurd said:
my 99C is all low 80's

Cable runs are all less then 50ft
my mother in law lives around the block and has her 103 in the low to mid 90's so i know it isnt an area thing. my 101 is better then hers also

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
veryoldschool said:
This makes me think I'll swap my LNB sooner. :)
yeh, i wish i had a spare to test

Well it isnt the MS. Just bypassed it and same levels. Either a bad LNB or something even stranger

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
After just realigning my Slimline again I can say that the 103 and 99 are EXTREMELY touchy. Even locked down, if I lightly push on the edge of the dish with my finger I can affect it by 5% or so. Since it is locked down it will bounce back, but to get it to the peak is a tough one and you have to move very slowly with the fine adjustment screws.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grentz said:
After just realigning my Slimline again I can say that the 103 and 99 are EXTREMELY touchy. Even locked down, if I lightly push on the edge of the dish with my finger I can affect it by 5% or so. Since it is locked down it will bounce back, but to get it to the peak is a tough one and you have to move very slowly with the fine adjustment screws.
Yeh tried that too. Locked down the dish and physically pushed it while watching the meter. Still couldnt get even into the 90's

·
Godfather
499 Posts
compnurd said:
Yeh tried that too. Locked down the dish and physically pushed it while watching the meter. Still couldnt get even into the 90's
You might want to cast your eye on the BBCs. Integral to 103c signal path. Maybe call D* tech support and ask for a new pair. They're free. You might want to hype your 103 problem at bit. Say you want to try the BBCs before asking for a truck roll. They should go along.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Do you have an HR21-100? We have noticed they show lower readings on 103(c) (and probably 99(c) when we get more familiar with it.)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K4SMX said:
Do you have an HR21-100? We have noticed they show lower readings on 103(c) (and probably 99(c) when we get more familiar with it.)
Yes i have a 21-100 and the signal is the same across both tuners so i dont think it is the BBC's

·
Hall Of Fame
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
STEVEN-H said:
Take your box to your mother in law's and see what the reading is at her locations with your box.
Thats a good idea. to the Other Poster. There def. isnt anymore i can do aiming wise. While i had the dish locked down i would push the dish in all directions to try and see a change and still could never get above 89

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
compnurd said:
Yes i have a 21-100 and the signal is the same across both tuners so i dont think it is the BBC's
Uh-huh. That's what I figured was going on here. My side-by-side HR21-100 and HR20-700 on the same antenna lines have about a 10 point difference in signal strength on 103(c). And that's unrelated to BBC's, since I swapped them around. I'm not the only one to notice this, as I said above.

Now the real question is if your loss of picture point is also 10 points lower. I haven't really reached a conclusion on that, because when I lose 103(c)'s due to weather, they usually go straight to zero on both receivers.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
K4SMX said:
Uh-huh. That's what I figured was going on here. My side-by-side HR21-100 and HR20-700 on the same antenna lines have about a 10 point difference in signal strength on 103(c). And that's unrelated to BBC's, since I swapped them around. I'm not the only one to notice this, as I said above.
Nope, you're definitely not alone. My HR21-100 is lower across-the-board than my HR20-700's -- even when I swap it into the same location, so that wiring isn't an issue. My difference isn't quite as big, though: on 103c (and now 99c) it is more on the order of 5-7 points.

All receivers lose picture at the same time during a fade event (during the times when they've been tuned to the same channel), so it does just appear to be an artifact of how that unit is calibrated.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
compnurd said:
I am at my wits end. At my last house i peaked my dish perfect in 20 min. I cant figure out what is wrong here.

my 101 is all 93 -98.
110 is 89-92 and 119 is 93-100.

I cant get my 103c out of the 78-89 range.

the mast is plumb. i brought a tv on the roof with me and for the life of me in any direction could not get any 103 transponder above 89.

I can only think of a few other options.

Either Something is wrong with the MS, the LNB or the HR21 cant read the 103 signal levels right(highly doubting this one)
Try a small.........adjustment to the el without touching anything else. Make marks with a sharp tool on the mast before making any changes so you can see where you are.

Try up first, work slow.

Your numbers are ok now, you know.

Joe

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
bwaldron said:
Nope, you're definitely not alone. My HR21-100 is lower across-the-board than my HR20-700's -- even when I swap it into the same location, so that wiring isn't an issue. My difference isn't quite as big, though: on 103c (and now 99c) it is more on the order of 5-7 points.
Yeah, maybe 10 is overstating it a bit!

All receivers lose picture at the same time during a fade event (during the times when they've been tuned to the same channel), so it does just appear to be an artifact of how that unit is calibrated.
That's reassuring, to say the least. I was afraid the folks at Thomson had figured out a way to lose a few db's somewhere. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.