DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some help from you guys. Here's the situation:

I paid for a friend of mine to activate his fourth Dish box, a DP301, so that I could take it when I go to football games (for tailgating). His box had been sitting in his attic for years and it never worked properly, and has now quit working altogether. Of course he doesn't have any warranty on it anymore, so no free replacement is coming from Dish. But, a friend of mine is getting me a free box so all I should need to do is activate it on the same account, and I should be good to go.

I don't yet know what the model # on the new free box is, but I'm assuming it's a 311 since that seems to be the standard Dish box these days. I also see that it doesn't accept the programming card, the Dish website says it's "built in". If that's the case, how do I activate it? I was hoping I could just stick the card from the broken box into the new one, and be off & running. Obviously that isn't the case.

Does the box need to be plugged into a phone line to be activated? That will be a problem, since I'll be outdoors and won't have access to a phone line. Anyway, I just wanted to know what to expect, since this is a time critical situation (I've got to have it up & running Saturday morning, which means I need to resolve all issues by Friday).

Thanks for any info or tips,
Paul

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Your request is beyond the scope of the agreement for service your friend is obligated to. A phone line may be required.

An account in your name may not require a phone line for the one receiver.

·
Super Moderator
53,162 Posts
pwideman, please get your own account. Paying a friend for an extra box on his account is a violation of your friend's service agreement with Echostar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.