So, I got The Call today from DirecTV telling me about the free HD swap. Based on my reading over at TivoCommunity, I had been expecting it. I don't per se want to upgrade, nor do I really need to upgrade since most of the HD I watch it OTA save HBO HD and occasionally one of the east coast network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) HD feeds.
But since I can upgrade for free, I figure I might as well do it.
Here is where I am at currently:
- Four viewing locations (Family Room, Media Room, Master Bedroom, Office)
- Three HR10-250s (Family Room, Media Room, Master Bedroom)
- One Sony Tivo SAT-T60 (Office)
- Three RG6, two CAT5 to each location.
- Two RG6 at each location used for dual SAT tuners
- One RG6 at each location used for OTA
- SAT lines home run to a 4x8 powered multiswitch
- 4x8 multipleswitch fed by four lines from 3LNB dish on the roof - dish was installed new in 2005
- OTA lines home run to a 1x4 10dB distribution block
- OTA distribution block fed by Winegard HD8200P antenna
- CAT5s (phone and data) home run to 110 punch down blocks next to OTA and SAT
- Full disclosure: Vista Ultimate machines available (if I want) at each location as well as Windows Home Server (and a Windows Server 2003 domain controller) at the home run
Here is what I would like to get to:
- Same four viewing locations
- Office stays unchanged, will keep the SAT-T60
- Family room will be a direct swap - replace the HR10-250 with a new HR21
- Will want to record OTA in the family room, so I guess I need the external OTA receiver for the HR21, whatever that is called
- Media room and master bedroom I want to keep HR10-250 and add HR21 - at least for a few months
- Need OTA in MBR and media room as well, but will probably just record onto HR10-250 initially
- Gain any cool new network features if possible
Key is that I don't want to put any more coax in the wall. I'd possibly consider multiswitches in the MBR and media room if required. But with SWMs, new multiswitches, new 5LNB dish, B-Band Converters, etc. I am a little confused over exactly what I need to get from point A to point B.
Any helpful advice, plans of actions, or alternatives to my plans would be great. Only real thing I am against is more wire in the walls.
If I left anything out, let me know.
Thanks in advance for the helpful answers I know I wil lget.