DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am trying to hook this Rosewill RX-358 V2 SLV (Silver) 3.5& SATA to USB & eSATA External Enclosure w/Int.80mm Fan to my DVR but it will not see it for some reason. i unplugged the DVR from the wall, hooked up the enclosure via the esata cable and plugged the enclosure in and let it run for few minutes. i then plugged the DVR back in and let it boot up. it accessed the drive as i heard it spin up then it spun back down. when the DVR finished booting back up i checked my recorded programs via list as i left one program on the internal drive so i could check to see if it worked or not. what am doing wrong? any help would be appreciated. thanx sorry for the long name of enclosure i wasn't allowed to post a link
 

· Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
If you heard the drive spin up, that is the problem. It has to already be spun up when the DVR attempts to access it. Check the drive and enclosure, and disable any green spin down features. Otherwise, with the DVR running, and the new external plugged in (but not being recognized), turn off the external drive, turn the external drive back on. Immediately after hearing the drive spin up and seek, hit the red reset button on the DVR, and hope it accesses the external before it spins down.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davenlr said:
If you heard the drive spin up, that is the problem. It has to already be spun up when the DVR attempts to access it. Check the drive and enclosure, and disable any green spin down features. Otherwise, with the DVR running, and the new external plugged in (but not being recognized), turn off the external drive, turn the external drive back on. Immediately after hearing the drive spin up and seek, hit the red reset button on the DVR, and hope it accesses the external before it spins down.
thanx so much, that did it. it is updating everything right now. :joy::kickbutt:
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
If your DVR Reboots and it uses the Internal Drive remember to go back and do what you just did to get the External Drive to Boot Up instead of the Internal Drive because sometimes during a Reboot the eSATA Controller is too slow to respond and the DVR thinks it doesn't have anything attached to the Port so it Boots up with the Internal Drive.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fortunately i live in area that has very few power outages so reboots are far and few between here.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
I am just warning you that occasionally when the DVR Reboots the eSATA Controller is Slow to Respond so the DVR thinks there is no External Drive attached to the SATA Port and it will then Boot up using the Internal Drive.

Make sure you know what Recordings are on the Internal Drive so when it happens you will recognize the Old Recordings and know you have Rebooted back to the Internal Drive.

That is why I switched to Owning my DVRs so I could Replace them with 2 TB Internal Drives. That way it is Quieter, no problem as mentioned above with a Reboot and no External Drive Enclosure hanging off of the DVR.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richierich said:
I am just warning you that occasionally when the DVR Reboots the eSATA Controller is Slow to Respond so the DVR thinks there is no External Drive attached to the SATA Port and it will then Boot up using the Internal Drive.

Make sure you know what Recordings are on the Internal Drive so when it happens you will recognize the Old Recordings and know you have Rebooted back to the Internal Drive.

That is why I switched to Owning my DVRs so I could Replace them with 2 TB Internal Drives. That way it is Quieter, no problem as mentioned above with a Reboot and no External Drive Enclosure hanging off of the DVR.
how hard is it to open them and switch drives?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
hclarkjr said:
how hard is it to open them and switch drives?
Well you should Own your DVR as I do or it voids your TOS Agreement with Directv.

It is very easy on the HR23-700 and easier than that on the HR24-500. There are some models that are harder but I am not familiar with what it takes to replace their hard drives as I don't own one such as the HR24-200.
 

· Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
hclarkjr said:
how hard is it to open them and switch drives?
Easy if you have a few old credit cards and a screwdriver. The problem lies in that its against the terms of service of your contract if you are leasing it. Its up to you to decide if you want to violate that or not.

There is a thread with pictures showing how to slide the credit cards up the sides to release the clips. Should be able to find it on a search.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Davenlr said:
Easy if you have a few old credit cards and a screwdriver. The problem lies in that its against the terms of service of your contract if you are leasing it. Its up to you to decide if you want to violate that or not.

There is a thread with pictures showing how to slide the credit cards up the sides to release the clips. Should be able to find it on a search.
i know i can not open their equipment, i asked this question originally in the direct forums and that was one of the first things they told me about. :) i might buy either a hr24 or one the new hr34's somewhere down the road.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
Davenlr said:
Easy if you have a few old credit cards and a screwdriver. The problem lies in that its against the terms of service of your contract if you are leasing it. Its up to you to decide if you want to violate that or not.

There is a thread with pictures showing how to slide the credit cards up the sides to release the clips. Should be able to find it on a search.
That only works for the HR24 Series of DVRs. There are 5 screws on the HR23-700 if I recall correctly and you need a Torx 10 Screwdriver. Then you lift up the lid and pry it moving it backwards. Then unscrew the hard drive.

Again you need to tell us what Model DVR you have and add it to your Setup Info so others will know what you have.
 

· Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
Yea, Im not sure what size drive is in the HR34, Im using an external on it. My HR24-500 has a 2TB Seagate in it. I *think* the non -500 version HR24s require a 1/3rd height drive instead of a 1/2 height. I know I read they were slimmer, and the regular off the shelf drives wouldnt fit in the cage.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
hclarkjr said:
i know i can not open their equipment, i asked this question originally in the direct forums and that was one of the first things they told me about. :) i might buy either a hr24 or one the new hr34's somewhere down the road.
If you decide to buy an HR24 which is the easiest one to open up by using credit cards to slip under the clips on the side of the lid you need to make sure it is an Owned DVR and get the RID # of the DVR and call Directv and ask the Access Card Dept. if it is indeed an Owned DVR.
 

· Broadcast Engineer
Joined
·
4,146 Posts
Richierich said:
Well you should Own your DVR as I do or it voids your TOS Agreement with Directv...
Maybe.

Funny thing; we're on a technically-oriented forum populated by the geekiest folks imaginable, and have had these DVRs for almost 5 years, DTivos for at least another 5, it seems like as many as 20% or more of us have replaced internal drives at some point, yet I can't recall one boo hoo story here or anywhere else about how DTV was trying to charge them for a TOS violation due to opening the box. There's probably a good reason why, and it's probably because they don't really care.

Losing sleep over the potential of the DVR police raiding your home theater makes about as much paranoid sense as being afraid to use that rubber divider in the check-out line because the guy might try to charge you for it.

If anyone from DTV suggested I had a problem like this my response would be "Fine. Go Fish. I'm off to DISH" which would likely be followed by a silent interlude of 15 seconds, followed by them quietly backing down. As The Finder is fond of saying, "I'll risk it".
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
Perhaps Directv does that as a Legal Disclaimer in case someone gets hurt. Also, if there are a lot of customers who replace their drive and then screw something up they wouldn't be responsible for fixing it.

They probably don't care that much but would just prefer you not tamper with the box. :)

It's probably just something that has to be stated.

Mine are Owned so it doesn't matter and I can also Deactivate and Suspend my Owned if I choose to or take it with me in my RV.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
36,659 Posts
TomCat said:
Maybe.

Funny thing; we're on a technically-oriented forum populated by the geekiest folks imaginable, and have had these DVRs for almost 5 years, DTivos for at least another 5, it seems like as many as 20% or more of us have replaced internal drives at some point, yet I can't recall one boo hoo story here or anywhere else about how DTV was trying to charge them for a TOS violation due to opening the box. There's probably a good reason why, and it's probably because they don't really care.

Losing sleep over the potential of the DVR police raiding your home theater makes about as much paranoid sense as being afraid to use that rubber divider in the check-out line because the guy might try to charge you for it.

If anyone from DTV suggested I had a problem like this my response would be "Fine. Go Fish. I'm off to DISH" which would likely be followed by a silent interlude of 15 seconds, followed by them quietly backing down. As The Finder is fond of saying, "I'll risk it".
Before they do anything to one customer, they'd have to do something about Weaknees which does the swaps without authorization from D*.

Rich
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
36,659 Posts
Richierich said:
Well you should Own your DVR as I do or it voids your TOS Agreement with Directv.

It is very easy on the HR23-700 and easier than that on the HR24-500. There are some models that are harder but I am not familiar with what it takes to replace their hard drives as I don't own one such as the HR24-200.
To do a proper job on a 24-200 you'd need a small drill press. The sled that holds the HDD is too small to fit a normal sized HDD in. They come with a slim Seagate Pipeline HDD in them and the sled is made to fit them. But the 200s take an external setup much better than the 500s do.

Rich
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
36,659 Posts
Davenlr said:
If you heard the drive spin up, that is the problem. It has to already be spun up when the DVR attempts to access it. Check the drive and enclosure, and disable any green spin down features. Otherwise, with the DVR running, and the new external plugged in (but not being recognized), turn off the external drive, turn the external drive back on. Immediately after hearing the drive spin up and seek, hit the red reset button on the DVR, and hope it accesses the external before it spins down.
Huh? I always let the external drive spin up before plugging in the HR. Never had a problem with doing it that way.

Rich
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top