Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I tried to upgrade to a VIP622 from a 522 and they told me I would need a Dish 1000 dish. So they sent an installer out who refused to swap my old 500 dish with the 1000 as he claims the support was not strong enough. The support is a brand new solid 8 x 8 inch beam!

Anyway, I am fed up and want to simply install my own dish 1000 dish.

I have the dish 1000 dish but need to know what other components I will need.

Here is what I have.
1 DP-301 receiver
1 DVR 510 receiver
1 VIP622 receiver (dual tuner)

So I have four sat inputs that need to be fed from the dish 1000.

My problem is that I do not think I can receive the 129 sat location.
I'm in an apartment and mounting the dish higher to clear the roof to the west direction would be impossible.

So, I need to use a separate dish (I already have mounted) with a single dual lnbf aimed at 61.5 sat.
If I understand correctly, the 61.5 duplicates what is on 129 so I think I will get all my programming.

Oh yeah, I have selected the highest price HD package which will give me my HD locals as well as all other HD offerings.

My HD locals are stated to be on the 118.7 sat.
Will my stock dish 1000 pickup the 118.7 sat as it is or do I need to modify something?

I also need to know what type of switch and other items I will need to tie all this together and be able to feed my four inputs.
I already have 4 cables going inside from the old Switch 64 but I think I now need a Switch Pro 44 for the dish 1000 correct?
I think the 44 gives me the ability to use the 61.5 sat correct?

Any other combiners or splitters needed to make this work?

Thanks for any help and sorry for so many questions!

·
Icon
625 Posts
did you go thru Dish or a local for the first install? I would call Dish customer service and explain everything to them. They should do that install.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
kruser said:
My HD locals are stated to be on the 118.7 sat.
Will my stock dish 1000 pickup the 118.7 sat as it is or do I need to modify something?
This is where it gets complicated. You'll need a Dish500+ to get 118.75.
I also need to know what type of switch and other items I will need to tie all this together and be able to feed my four inputs.
You'll probably need a DPP44 to work with the Dish500+.

Based on the cost of each, you really need to pursue having Dish set it up for you.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve H said:
did you go thru Dish or a local for the first install? I would call Dish customer service and explain everything to them. They should do that install.
I did go through Dish for this and of course I called them after the installer left.

They will not budge on the installers notes and refuse to do the install.

I had this same exact problem when I first installed Dish.
They sent a guy out to install the second dish at 61.5 so I could get all my locals and they then refused to install the dish or even give me the equipment that Dish claimed would all be provided for no cost!
I complained heavily to Dish but again, they would not budge.

This time for the 1000, I even had a signed Dish agreement from the apartment owner to allow them to do the install.
But they would not authorize a rooftop install.

The installer claims the dish mounting plate is much bigger then my Dish 500 dish mounting plate which I do not believe.
If it is then he is using some other type of mount as my Dish 1000 dish has the same exact mounting arm as my 500.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harsh said:
This is where it gets complicated. You'll need a Dish500+ to get 118.75.You'll probably need a DPP44 to work with the Dish500+.

Based on the cost of each, you really need to pursue having Dish set it up for you.
I'll have to see what a 500+ is. Both Dish and the installer told me that I needed the Dish 1000.
In fact Dish even told me that they would allow shipping to me as long as I had the Dish 1000 already installed.

So now I'm more confused than ever with this 500+ you mention!

Did you maybe mean a 1000+ maybe?

And as I stated in anther reply, Dish will not budge on the installers decision.
I complained heavily and finally spoke with a supervisor who again said they could not help me.

Dish is very close to loosing a long time customer.

Thanks for your reply and any other input you may have!

Edit Update!

I discovered that I do have the 1000+ dish!

I really was not even awre of such a thing so I'm good to go there as it says it will receive all 4 sats needed!

·
Godfather
455 Posts
kruser said:
I'll have to see what a 500+ is. Both Dish and the installer told me that I needed the Dish 1000.
In fact Dish even told me that they would allow shipping to me as long as I had the Dish 1000 already installed.

So now I'm more confused than ever with this 500+ you mention!

Did you maybe mean a 1000+ maybe?

And as I stated in anther reply, Dish will not budge on the installers decision.
I complained heavily and finally spoke with a supervisor who again said they could not help me.

Dish is very close to loosing a long time customer.

Thanks for your reply and any other input you may have!
Dish 1000+ will get you 110,118.7,119,129.
Dish 500+ will get 110,118.7,119.

A DPP44 switch (dish says) is required.

A DPP44 can cost you as much as $200.00. If you purchase a Dish 1000+ you're looking at $149.00. This is why its best to let E* do the install.

Dish Network DISH 1000 Plus(For Dish Network regular programming, HDTV, international, and some local channels). This satellite dish is used by Dish Network to receive signal from 4 orbital locations (110,118.7,119,129).

Box Includes:
  • Dish 1000+ 23.8"h x 30.9"w
  • DP Dual Band LNBF
  • Two DP Dual LNBF (110°,129°)
  • Universal mount that lets you put the dish on your roof or exterior wall of your house.
Dish Network DISH 1000 (For Dish Network regular programming, HDTV, and some local channels). This satellite dish is used by Dish Network to receive signal from 3 orbital locations (110,119,129).

Box Includes:
  • DPP Twin LNBF
  • DP Dual LNBF
  • Universal mount that lets you put the dish on your roof or exterior wall of your house.
Dish Network DISH 500 Plus Antenna
(For Dish Network regular programming, HDTV, international, and some local channels). This satellite dish is used by Dish Network to receive signal from 3 orbital locations (110,118.7,119).

Box Includes:
  • Dish500+ 23.8"h x 30.9"w dish
    DP Dual Band LNBF for orbital locations; 118.7°, 119°
    DP Dual LNBF for orbital location; 110°
Dish Network DishPro Plus DPP44 Switch. The DISH Pro Plus 44 ( aka DP Plus 44 ) Switch features DISH Pro Plus Technology, LNBF inputs supporting four orbital locations, four receiver outputs, expansion ports to connect additional switches, and a power inserter.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SMosher said:
Dish 1000+ will get you 110,118.7,119,129.
Dish 500+ will get 110,118.7,119.

A DPP44 switch (dish says) is required.

A DPP44 can cost you as much as $200.00. If you purchase a Dish 1000+ you're looking at $149.00. This is why its best to let E* do the install.

[/SIZE]
I wish E* would do the install.
I did discover that my 1000 is the 1000+ so that is good.
And my neighbor will sell me his spare DPP44 switch for $50 so it is not going to cost me much to just do it myself.

Only catch now is that in order to get the VIP622 for the $199 price, I still have to let E* install the 622 and still agree to the 18 month agreement:(

The installers did tell me they would install the 622 for me provided I have the 1000 dish already installed which I will.

Thanks for your links regarding the different dish models!

·
Godfather
455 Posts
kruser said:
I wish E* would do the install.
And my neighbor will sell me his spare DPP44 switch for $50 so it is not going to cost me much to just do it myself.

Only catch now is that in order to get the VIP622 for the $199 price, I still have to let E* install the 622 and still agree to the 18 month agreement:(

The installers did tell me they would install the 622 for me provided I have the 1000 dish already installed which I will.

Thanks for your links regarding the different dish models!
No problem. dont forget the seperators :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
kruser said:
Ok, this is making more sense, the Dish1000+ is larger than a Dish1000 and the LNBF arm and assembly is much larger. There have been a few threads out there where installers have refused to install the dish in the location the user wanted because they said it could not support the install.

In some cases this may be accurate and in others it may just be a CYA move and end up being responsible for damages if the dish rips out or falls down for any reason. I'm guessing that they have some very specific documentation on where they can be installed.

I personally went from a Dish500 to a Dish1000 to a Dish1000+. Going from a Dish500 to a Dish1000 was easy, kept the same mounting bracket and mast, however with the Dish1000+ it was so much larger and heavier it started to rip out the existing mounting bracket when I tried to set it up. I ended up having to move it to a new location.

If your going to do it yourself I'd recommend using the stabilizer struts that come with it. It will really help secure the dish.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob Glasser said:
Ok, this is making more sense, the Dish1000+ is larger than a Dish1000 and the LNBF arm and assembly is much larger. There have been a few threads out there where installers have refused to install the dish in the location the user wanted because they said it could not support the install.

If your going to do it yourself I'd recommend using the stabilizer struts that come with it. It will really help secure the dish.
Yea, I only very briefly looked at the new dish and did notice it was larger but honestly I did not pay much attention to the mounting bracket nor did I notice the stabilizer struts.
In fact I did not even notice it was the + version!

I did overcome my problem of them not installing and myself needing to purchase everything.
They tell me now that they will provide the DPP44 switch and any new cabling as well as the VIP622 with the condition that I already have the dish mounted.

So now I'm back to them installing but I have to do the dish mounting.
This is not a problem for me. The dish 1000+ was basically free (case of beer) and now the 44 switch will be provided as well.

I'll study the mount when I get home tonight and build a special mount shoe if need be. The wood column that they refused to mount to is solid and supports an entire end of a balcony along with several others. It is way overrated for the structure that it supports so I'm not the least bit worried that the 1000+ will in any way make the balcony unsafe.

The installer did say they would most likely require me to sign a waiver stating the dish was customer installed prior to their arrival. No problem.

I just want my HD!

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SMosher said:
No problem. dont forget the seperators :)
I don't think I need the separators do I?

I already have four cables from my old 64 switch feeding my dual tuner and two single tuner receivers.
Two cables go to both inputs on the dual tuner and the other two cables go to each single receiver input.

I thought the separator just allowed you to reduce the cables to the dual tuner to one cable? In effect, instead of needing 4 cables I would only need 3 if I use the separator?

If I were to relocate the entire dish to the roof then I'd definitely use the separator to reduce the cables needed.

Let me know if my understanding of this separator is wrong!

Thanks!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
Make sure you can get a look at 129 before you get carried away with the Dish1000+. If you can't see 129 (as you feared in your original post), you'll have to add the 61.5 dish and you would want to use a Dish500+ as I suggested. Because the Dish1000+ can see four satellites, it would significantly complicate adding 61.5.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
harsh said:
Make sure you can get a look at 129 before you get carried away with the Dish1000+. If you can't see 129 (as you feared in your original post), you'll have to add the 61.5 dish and you would want to use a Dish500+ as I suggested. Because the Dish1000+ can see four satellites, it would significantly complicate adding 61.5.
Glad you brought this up as I was meaning to ask about this.

I already have a 1000+ and you are correct in that I may not be able to see the 129 sat.

I also already have a single dish aimed at 61.5.
How does this 61.5 hookup to the 500+?

Is a different type switch required?
Or can I plug the 61.5 lnb cables into the 44 switch's 129 inputs?

This is exactly what the installers told me I would need to do.
The seeming lack of knowledge by the installers really makes me question if they knew the slightest bit about what they were telling me.

I really appreciate the help!

So being as I already have the 1000+ and a dish aimed at 61.5, what will I now need to hook all this together if you know!?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,295 Posts
kruser said:
Or can I plug the 61.5 lnb cables into the 44 switch's 129 inputs?

This is exactly what the installers told me I would need to do....
Bingo.

The DPP-44 is all you need to tie it all together. All the LNB outputs go to the DPP-44 inputs, so you could have 119/110/118.75/61.5, all available on each of the 4 DPP-44 output lines.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mikey said:
Bingo.

The DPP-44 is all you need to tie it all together. All the LNB outputs go to the DPP-44 inputs, so you could have 119/110/118.75/61.5, all available on each of the 4 DPP-44 output lines.
Good Answer!

That is exactly how I shall hook all this up!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
Mikey said:
I'm concerned that the problem with this theory is that the Dish1000+ already has four birds (110,118.75,119 and 129). If this is the case, you'll have to go through some hoops to add a fifth slot.

·
Banned
614 Posts
This is a dish you should leave the job to an installer. Not a DIY project unless your an expert.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,295 Posts
harsh said:
I'm concerned that the problem with this theory is that the Dish1000+ already has four birds (110,118.75,119 and 129). If this is the case, you'll have to go through some hoops to add a fifth slot.
He says he can't see 129, wants to use 61.5, and I believe him. Nothing is forcing him to use the 129 LNB on the Dish 1000+. If he decides he want's that too, then yeah, it gets harder.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cybrsurfer said:
This is a dish you should leave the job to an installer. Not a DIY project unless your an expert.
No, I'm not an expert when it comes to the newer mini dish installs with multi sats and odd switch combinations needed to make it all work.
I did C band dishes since well before anything was scrambled so in that area, I do have a lot of expertise.
Since I moved into an apartment I of course had to go the mini dish (DBS) route and at that time it was also very easy and I setup many systems for friends but it was easy as it was just one or two birds to aim at.
I'd gladly go back to the BUD dishes and C/Ku band if I could.
Anyway, that is not possible.

Now, if you read my original post you would see that the so called Dish installers (which were sent to my place as a result of my call to Dish about upgrading my 522 to the VIP622) REFUSED to install the Dish 1000+.
I contacted Dish as I was very unhappy with this and they would not budge on the installers decision. I then spoke with a supervisor and explained the fact that I had a signed letter from the complex owner authorizing the swap of my Dish 500 to the 1000+. The Dish supervisor still would not budge.

So I'm stuck doing it myself which I have zero problems with this other than the need to know what switches are needed to make it all work.
I have my answers and am good to go.

As far as the installers that refused to do the install, I'd say they are just incompetent and unqualified for this type of work.
They claim the beam or support post was not strong enough to support the dish.
This support is a solid square 8 inch Oak post designed to support one corner of a 3 story balcony. It is also backed up by several other same design support posts.
This meaning that if say a truck were to hit this post at the ground and sheer it off that the others would still easily support the balcony.

As far as holding the weight of the dish 1000+, no problem. Either bolts all the way through or even simple large lag bolts would be more than enough.

The installers also said the post was rotten. Not true as it is only two years old and very very solid.

My conclusion is simply the installers were incompetent and did not want to do the work. It was raining and cold as well as the last job they had for the day.

If you have any clues as to how I can get them back out to do the install then I'm open to suggestions because right now everyone is standing firmly behind the installers decision.

I also do structural engineering and design work for a living so I could be called an expert in that area.
I've seen some pretty shoddy installs of Dish equipment in this area.
For that reason, I do not trust them to do any work on my residence or anyone I know.
But seeing as Dish refused to just send me the equipment for $199 like their web site states, I was forced to allow an install be done.

Sorry for the rant but I just needed to clarify my situation.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mikey said:
He says he can't see 129, wants to use 61.5, and I believe him. Nothing is forcing him to use the 129 LNB on the Dish 1000+. If he decides he want's that too, then yeah, it gets harder.
This is correct, I won't be using the 129 slot and will substitute the 61.5 slot in its place so only four slots would be used.

The 1000+ is going a few feet higher so I may be able to get 129. If so then of course that is how I'll use it as I'd love to get rid of the second dish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.