DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm late to the party, but have been enjoying "free" OTA HD of locals and now ready to make the jump to more HD.

I have had Dish for about 3 years w/ the top 180 pkg + locals + Starz pack
For equipment I have two SD units, a dual tuner DVR running 2 tv's and a single receiver running my PJ in my media room.

I called today to discuss an upgrade to HD and was offered this:

-exchange my current dual tuner DVR for a HD dual tuner DVR for $199. This includes all hook up and replacement of my dish antenna
-18 month commitment
-no upgrade on my single receiver as they only allow a single upgrade per year
-$20.00 additional programing fee???????

Is the what the current upgrade is??? I expected about a $200 or so initial cost, but I don't understand why the programing fee is more?? It looks like the HD programing is really no more then the SD programing. What am I missing? I guess I don't mind the 18 month commitment. We have been with them for three years and happy with them. We also have SBC DSL, ATT local/long distance phone.

What other options do I have, if any?

Since they won't upgrade my 2nd box, can I buy one myself off ebay or something?

Looking for help, suggestions, especially from folks who recently upgraded.

Thanks

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
sdallnct said:
Is the what the current upgrade is???
Yes!
I expected about a $200 or so initial cost, but I don't understand why the programing fee is more?? It looks like the HD programing is really no more then the SD programing.
If it were the same, you wouldn't be upgrading, would you? HD programming brings you a number of new channels and HD versions of existing channels. DirecTV and cable charge $10 for eight channels, so $20 for a couple dozen channels isn't entirely out of line.

Remember also that upgrading to a ViP622 gives you the option of recording OTA HD content (if available in your location).
You can try your local cable company.
Since they won't upgrade my 2nd box, can I buy one myself off ebay or something?
Sure, but be careful that the box that you acquire is "clean" of PPV backlog and comes with the remote(s) and smart card (if equipped).

The way things have been going on eBay lately, I would recommend shopping an authorized Dish Network reseller. All too often, buying something at retail can be cheaper than buying at auction.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
Yes!If it were the same, you wouldn't be upgrading, would you? HD programming brings you a number of new channels and HD versions of existing channels. DirecTV and cable charge $10 for eight channels, so $20 for a couple dozen channels isn't entirely out of line.
OK I understand and agree on everything, but still a little confused about the programing:

If I understand you and them correctly to keep the same top 180 pkg + locals + starz pack, it would cost $20 more in the HD Version. My question is, is there any reason I can't get a cheaper package? It looks like the HD pkgs start at $49, realizing of course I would loose some channels, is there a reason I couldn't go with that? In other words is there requirement as part of the upgrade to have a certain level of programing//cost?

My wife like Starz and that is fine. But I'm pretty sure we just got the top 180 because is was a "free" upgrade for a couple of months and we never bothered to change it. But I'm not sure we need all that.

I'm in Dallas so I'm excited about getting locals on HD. However got to tell you, I bring in every local HD channel with a cheap antenna in my attic for my media room.

Well I won't ever go back to cable (long story but I had always been a cable guy, but when we moving into this house we set no less then six appointments that they failed to show up on without calling so I called Dish and they came out). And sounds like if I want the most HD channels, Direct TV is out.

Thanks for info!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
sdallnct said:
I know I'm late to the party, but have been enjoying "free" OTA HD of locals and now ready to make the jump to more HD.

I have had Dish for about 3 years w/ the top 180 pkg + locals + Starz pack
For equipment I have two SD units, a dual tuner DVR running 2 tv's and a single receiver running my PJ in my media room.

I called today to discuss an upgrade to HD and was offered this:

-exchange my current dual tuner DVR for a HD dual tuner DVR for $199. This includes all hook up and replacement of my dish antenna
-18 month commitment
-no upgrade on my single receiver as they only allow a single upgrade per year
-$20.00 additional programing fee???????

Is the what the current upgrade is??? I expected about a $200 or so initial cost, but I don't understand why the programing fee is more?? It looks like the HD programing is really no more then the SD programing. What am I missing? I guess I don't mind the 18 month commitment. We have been with them for three years and happy with them. We also have SBC DSL, ATT local/long distance phone.

Looking for help, suggestions, especially from folks who recently upgraded.

Thanks
There is a $100 ($10 for 10 months) that you should still be able to get for upgrading to HD.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
If it were me, I would check on ebay what your current receivers are worth. Why trade in the expensive one if you could sell it for more on ebay? Since the new program is a lease, you don't even have to turn in a receiver. (at least I didn't) Selling your receivers outright may give you enough to purchase the other receiver you want. Dish offered my $25 for my 6000 on the upgrade. I sold it on ebay for $536 which more than covered my original cost of the 6000 plus the $299 fee they were charging when I upgraded to a 622. The 622 by the way is a great receiver in my opinion.

..Doyle

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know I asked if the new HD Receiver would be a lease, and she said "yes, just like your current unit". Which I didn't really think about. So I'm not 100% sure I can sell mine.

Beside, aren't the 622 running over $450? With a $200 upgrade, means they are giving me $250 which would seem pretty good.

Honestly, I'm having more issues with the additional $20 per month programing fee then I'm am the $200 upgrade change. Tho I am a little disappointed I can't upgrade my other receiver at the same time. It looks like the 211 sells for about $280, which seems like a rip off if the 622 sells for $450.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
sdallnct said:
You know I asked if the new HD Receiver would be a lease, and she said "yes, just like your current unit". Which I didn't really think about. So I'm not 100% sure I can sell mine.

Beside, aren't the 622 running over $450? With a $200 upgrade, means they are giving me $250 which would seem pretty good.

Honestly, I'm having more issues with the additional $20 per month programing fee then I'm am the $200 upgrade change. Tho I am a little disappointed I can't upgrade my other receiver at the same time. It looks like the 211 sells for about $280, which seems like a rip off if the 622 sells for $450.
There is a new deal being offered thru at least 1 dealer that you can look at. it isa at www.mydishnow.com. You will get 200 back on the HD receiver which means that if you get the 622 you will be getting the $$ back from them for the deposit.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
whatchel1 said:
There is a new deal being offered thru at least 1 dealer that you can look at. it isa at <deleted>. You will get 200 back on the HD receiver which means that if you get the 622 you will be getting the $$ back from them for the deposit.
Rather than continuing to push this site as if it were something new, you might read to see if what you are posting is true. The "cash back" in tiny print describes the same offer that has been in place for a long time. $10 credit for 10 months for any new sub $20 for 10 months with a new DishHD sub. Not available to existing subscribers.

The fact that it puts "CASH BACK" in caps and large type when you don't get any cash is itself informative. What do you see at the URL you posted that is "New"? The choice of one of three things that you can't get any information on?

·
AllStar
78 Posts
I just upgraded my 811 to a 622 and got the dish Gold HD package from the basic HD package i had before.

I did not have to make an 18 month commitment.

Cost me the $199 though, I needed a second dish installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.