DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help my poor brother out. He has the ViP 612 receiver. He has an indoor antenna hooked up to receive the digital local channels off air and it is working fine BUT there's no programming info in the guide. The receiver recognized the call station but still won't do anything more than just show the digital channels. I have set his receiver to his zip code (in the "dish pointing" part but dish is aligned alright) and thought it would start downloading programming guide for his local but it didn't. Can anyone tell me step by step what I must do? I'm with DirecTV and it is fairly easy while Dish Network seems so complicated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,687 Posts
Does he subscribe to the local channels via Dish? He would have to have that to get the guide info. If he does, you would have to do a "check switch" to get the guide info updated or wait until the nightly update (normally 3am).

·
Icon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HobbyTalk said:
Does he subscribe to the local channels via Dish? He would have to have that to get the guide info. If he does, you would have to do a "check switch" to get the guide info updated or wait until the nightly update (normally 3am).
There are no locals via Dish in his market, only off air. With DirecTV, I get the guide date and info's even if I'm using OTA only. I thought Dish should do the same thing.

·
Icon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly don't think my brother really needs to have locals ON Dish (no locals available in his area) to have programming guide for his local OTA digital stations. DirecTV provides them without a problem but Dish? Can anyone help me? If not, I'll convince my brother to switch to DirecTV.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Well start trying to convince your brother to switch. ;)

They don't work the same. Dish requires that you sub to Locals to get Guide information. If Dish does not have your locals (via SD) then they will not have your guide information. If they do have them in SD and not HD, your brother will have to sub to locals to get the guide info he seeks or he will have to create manual timers for the OTA programs he wants to record.

That is how the Dish HD DVRs work.

·
Icon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron Barry said:
Well start trying to convince your brother to switch. ;)

They don't work the same. Dish requires that you sub to Locals to get Guide information. If Dish does not have your locals (via SD) then they will not have your guide information. If they do have them in SD and not HD, your brother will have to sub to locals to get the guide info he seeks or he will have to create manual timers for the OTA programs he wants to record.

That is how the Dish HD DVRs work.
Really? Wow, that does suck. I guess I might as well convince him to go back to DirecTV (hopefully he's not under contract... or does Dish have them?).

·
Icon
927 Posts
HDTVFreak07 said:
Really? Wow, that does suck. I guess I might as well convince him to go back to DirecTV (hopefully he's not under contract... or does Dish have them?).
I know this is a CRAZY suggestion...but have you tried calling Dish tech support?

There must be a solution if - as you say - you cannot get locals and are forced to use an antenna.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.