DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching an error 43-569 "Satellite Dish Alignment Problem" and need some guidance from experts on satellite signals. Here are the background details:

1. I have three DVR's, and all exhibit the 43-569 error.
2. I have a Slimline-5 dish.
3. The co-ax cabling was completely replaced last year with high-quality RG6 quad-shield cable with compression connectors.
4. When I run satellite guided setup, I get errors on both tuners, on all three DVR's (see attachment).
5. I have captured the signal strength data (see attached sample for one DVR-all three have similar data).

However, I am not seeing any indication that these errors are affecting how the DVR's operate. I am receiving all of the channels I am subscribed to, and the quality is excellent. Guide data is current.

So, I am trying to understand which channels might be affected by the errors I am seeing on the 99 degree and the 103 degree signals. When I look at the LIL TPN MAP for local channel HD signals in Austin, Texas, it shows that all the locals are on [email protected], or 99S transponder 17 in the DTV signal strength screen. But when I look at the signal strength for 99S, TPN 17, it is zero. How can I be receiving local HD signals if the signal strength is zero? Am I misinterpreting the LIL TPN MAP data?

Here is where I need some guidance. Should I have DTV come out and check the dish alignment? Or are the issues I am seeing quite common? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
JerryMeeker said:
Here is where I need some guidance. Should I have DTV come out and check the dish alignment? Or are the issues I am seeing quite common? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
The Local TP may have changed from the listing.
The overall "numbers" don't look that bad, "but" the error may still be because the signals are low. There are two parts to the signal: CNR which has to do with the quality [like your "fairly good" numbers] and then there is the real RF power level, which may be low enough to cause these errors.
Right now you have have good picture without and weather, and the min a slight cloud comes by, you could lose signal.
Since all the receivers are giving you this error, I'd have the dish checked out.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
The red X marks show your signals are below the threshold set by DirecTV for good signalsd. For example, I see you have some 99/103 signals in the 70s; these are definitely below the threshold. You will still get HD, but in storm situations you may lose the signals for longer. You should be seeing low to mid 90s on 99c/103ca/103cb with a correctly aligned dish.
It looks from the signals that your locals are on TP16.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments. The DTV technician is scheduled for a Monday house call. We'll see if he can align the dish any better.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
texasbrit said:
The red X marks show your signals are below the threshold set by DirecTV for good signalsd. For example, I see you have some 99/103 signals in the 70s; these are definitely below the threshold. You will still get HD, but in storm situations you may lose the signals for longer. You should be seeing low to mid 90s on 99c/103ca/103cb with a correctly aligned dish.
It looks from the signals that your locals are on TP16.
I think the threshold is a measured voltage.
Remember how hard it was to get a service call with signals in the seventies before?

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
veryoldschool said:
I think the threshold is a measured voltage.
Remember how hard it was to get a service call with signals in the seventies before?
I wasn't aware of DTV's reluctance to send out a technician. But now that you mention it, I had to argue with the Customer Support agent for 10-15 minutes before he agreed to schedule the call. Since I am paying for the visit, I thought it was strange that I was receiving such strong pushback.

Many of us have complained about the occasional pixelation issue, or audio dropouts. Is there a possibility that these types of issues might improve with a stronger signal, or are pixelation and dropouts just the nature of a digital signal?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
JerryMeeker said:
Many of us have complained about the occasional pixelation issue, or audio dropouts. Is there a possibility that these types of issues might improve with a stronger signal, or are pixelation and dropouts just the nature of a digital signal?
While they will be there "to some degree", they should be short and random at best/worse, so hopefully the dish alignment will help.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The DTV technician came yesterday, and immediately agreed with me that the signals on 99 and 103 were weak. After testing, he replaced the Slimline-5 LNB with a Slimline-3. The signals strengths are now excellent, and all the setup and system test error messages have disappeared.

Thanks again to those who provided advice. Problem solved!

Update: After viewing a number of programs since the dish alignment/LNB replacement, I have experienced no picture breakup or audio dropouts. I know that weak signals can increase the likelihood of signal loss like rain fade, but evidently the weak signal can introduce other picture and audio quality issues. Having solid picture and audio again is a joy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.