DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2-wb68's in the 4 splitter config (5-2300mhz all-port power passing splitters mounted inline between dish and multi-switches). I finally have my dish problems sorted out and I receive about a 95 signal level on the 101 odd and even transponders.

Here is the problem. The receivers fed from ms1(multi-switch 1) are trouble-free. These receivers are a hr20, an h10, and a standard rca ird. The receivers fed from ms2(multi-switch 2) lost all signal from the 101 odd transponders (they were @ 95 earlier today) but the 101 even are still @ 95, as well as the 110 and 119 being about what they are on the other receivers. MS2 is feeding 3 dvr's dual tuners(an r10, a gxcebot,and a samsung tivo).

I took the feeds from one of the dvr's from ms2 and placed the feed on ms1 and the odd transponder was @ 95, placed back on MS2 and no signal. So does it seem likely that my 2nd wb68 multi-switch is bad? Originally the installer cascaded this multi-switch off of the 1st one. I could not get a 119 signal from the cascaded multi-switch, so I hooked up the splitter's according to what I have read on here. Could the cascading have damaged the multi-switch? I guess my other option is to wire the 2nd multi-switch directly to the dish to eliminate all other possibilities but any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Did you make sure that the 4 inputs are routed the same on both multiswitches? In other words the line connected to the 1st input on Multiswitch A must also be connected to the 1st input on multiswitch B, and likewise for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines.

You might try connecting only the second multiswitch and see what happens.

Last, not sure, but do you really want power passing on both legs? What happens if you change the splitters to have one non-passing leg?

Carl

·
Legend
181 Posts
If it was working reliably in this configuration for some time and now it doesn't I would suspect that ms2 has gone bad.
Is it possible that one of the tuners on that switch hit it with a higher than normal voltage? The WB68 is powered from the receiver outlets so it may be susceptible to receiver problems.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All lines have been double and triple-checked. the multi-switches are wired exactly the same. the weird thing is that it is working again now. the signals are back to 94-95 whereas last night there was no signal. nothing changed and this is the second time this has happened. It also happened thursday night and the next morning it was fine again.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked all my wiring. Of the 4 wires running from the dish to the splitters, 2 of them are only rated for 1800mhz, while the other two are rated for 2300mhz. I am going to replace the 1800mhz cable and see if the intermittent problems go away. Would the 1800mhz affect the 101?

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
steelr said:
Just checked all my wiring. Of the 4 wires running from the dish to the splitters, 2 of them are only rated for 1800mhz, while the other two are rated for 2300mhz. I am going to replace the 1800mhz cable and see if the intermittent problems go away. Would the 1800mhz affect the 101?
I really doubt that would make a difference.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carl6 said:
Did you make sure that the 4 inputs are routed the same on both multiswitches? In other words the line connected to the 1st input on Multiswitch A must also be connected to the 1st input on multiswitch B, and likewise for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines.

You might try connecting only the second multiswitch and see what happens.

Last, not sure, but do you really want power passing on both legs? What happens if you change the splitters to have one non-passing leg?

Carl
I tried connecting the dish directly to the 2nd multi-switch only and it works fine. Hooked it back up using splitters and lost the 101 odd on 2nd multiswitch. seems the 101 odd is intermittent. sometimes i get 95 signal, sometimes no signal.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Don't overlook connectors. One improperly installed connector can cause all of the symptoms you are having. Certainly worth double checking.

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.