DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 3D LED TV (I like Samsung). I have a PS3 but was thinking I'd upgrade my DirecTV service as well. I am having trouble understanding a few things because D*'s website is cryptic. Was hoping some of you nice folks could help. Here are my questions:

I haven't bought a TV yet. Am I restricted to specific 3D TV model numbers? D* website leads me to believe that is an issue.

Is there an extra cost for the three 3D channels?

I have an HR20. Does it support 3D? What should I upgrade to.


My current setup is one HR20 with whole home activated and two very new HD receivers (not sure of model). I have the top channel package plus the extra HD channels.

Thanks!
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
158 Posts
"dismayed" said:
I'm considering buying a 3D LED TV (I like Samsung). I have a PS3 but was thinking I'd upgrade my DirecTV service as well. I am having trouble understanding a few things because D*'s website is cryptic. Was hoping some of you nice folks could help. Here are my questions:

I haven't bought a TV yet. Am I restricted to specific 3D TV model numbers? D* website leads me to believe that is an issue.

Is there an extra cost for the three 3D channels?

I have an HR20. Does it support 3D? What should I upgrade to.

My current setup is one HR20 with whole home activated and two very new HD receivers (not sure of model). I have the top channel package plus the extra HD channels.

Thanks!
There is no additional cost for 3d but your HR20 does not support 3d. You will be upgraded free without a contract extension. I am not aware of tv brands which might not work so I will leave that to someone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,659 Posts
"dismayed" said:
I'm considering buying a 3D LED TV (I like Samsung). I have a PS3 but was thinking I'd upgrade my DirecTV service as well. I am having trouble understanding a few things because D*'s website is cryptic. Was hoping some of you nice folks could help. Here are my questions:

I haven't bought a TV yet. Am I restricted to specific 3D TV model numbers? D* website leads me to believe that is an issue.

Is there an extra cost for the three 3D channels?

I have an HR20. Does it support 3D? What should I upgrade to.

My current setup is one HR20 with whole home activated and two very new HD receivers (not sure of model). I have the top channel package plus the extra HD channels.

Thanks!
No specific models. No extra cost. No the HR20 is not capable of 3D. They can send you a model that is.

P.S. - Go plasma unless you want the very expensive Elite from Sharp. The Panasonic and Samsung plasmas will easily beat any other LCD on the market...and usually for less money.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
There are some types of 3D TV that aren't supported, but not really an issue anymore (an unsupported one was used by DLP). One option with your current setup is to swap the HR20 and receiver, putting one of your regular HD receivers on the 3D set. The HR20 can record 3D content, and send it to a compatible box, it just can't display it.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
Hoosier205 said:
No specific models. No extra cost. No the HR20 is not capable of 3D. They can send you a model that is.

P.S. - Go plasma unless you want the very expensive Elite from Sharp. The Panasonic and Samsung plasmas will easily beat any other LCD on the market...and usually for less money.
I rarely agree with your comments but on this one I do 100%. :grin:
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
103 Posts
Hoosier205 said:
No specific models. No extra cost. No the HR20 is not capable of 3D. They can send you a model that is.

P.S. - Go plasma unless you want the very expensive Elite from Sharp. The Panasonic and Samsung plasmas will easily beat any other LCD on the market...and usually for less money.
I've got the 51" Samsung 3D Plasma TV and I love it. Good PQ, and the 3D is pretty cool despite the small number of channels. I'm watching Auburn vs Mississippi State in 3D right now.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
673 Posts
If you get a 3d TV call and ask for a 3d swap. Don't mention upgrading or they will setup an upgrade that will extend your contract.

Samsung models compatible:
LN46C750R2F PN58C8000YF UN46C8000XF
LN55C750R2F PN63C7000YF UN46C9000ZF
PN50C7000YF PN63C8000YF UN55C7000WF
PN50C8000YF UN40C7000WF UN55C8000XF
PN58C7000YF UN46C7000WF UN55C9000ZF
There may be other models that are compatible but this is what is listed by D*.

The receiver must be connected with an HDMI cable and the receiver must be directly connected to the TV so it cannot pass through a surround sound system or anything of the sort first.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
goinsleeper said:
The receiver must be connected with an HDMI cable and the receiver must be directly connected to the TV so it cannot pass through a surround sound system or anything of the sort first.
That's not true of a number of recent models, but point well taken.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
Hoosier205 said:
No specific models. No extra cost. No the HR20 is not capable of 3D. They can send you a model that is.
My receivers-including an HR20- that don't have a 3D set attached won't even show the 3D channels, so it's hard to see anything in the Guide! There's not a huge amount, but there is some. I have a tiny Sony hooked up.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
"goinsleeper" said:
The receiver must be connected with an HDMI cable and the receiver must be directly connected to the TV so it cannot pass through a surround sound system or anything of the sort first.
This is not true. I run the HDMI cable from my HR21 to my sound bar first then out of the sound bar to the TV. 3D works perfectly. And you can stream 3D from a receiver that is not connected directly to a 3D capable TV over WH to receiver connected as described. Works fine. I record all my 3D stuff using my HR34 which is connected to a non 3D capable TV and then stream the content over WH to my HR21 that is connected to a 3D capable set.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Laxguy said:
My receivers-including an HR20- that don't have a 3D set attached won't even show the 3D channels, so it's hard to see anything in the Guide! There's not a huge amount, but there is some. I have a tiny Sony hooked up.
Mine are that way too but I can use a non DVR receiver H23 to set up a 3D recording on an HR20.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
"Laxguy" said:
My receivers-including an HR20- that don't have a 3D set attached won't even show the 3D channels, so it's hard to see anything in the Guide! There's not a huge amount, but there is some. I have a tiny Sony hooked up.
My HR34 is attached to a non 3D capable TV and I can see the 3D channels (they do show graced out) and I can schedule them to be recorded on the HR34..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
Laxguy said:
My receivers-including an HR20- that don't have a 3D set attached won't even show the 3D channels, so it's hard to see anything in the Guide! There's not a huge amount, but there is some. I have a tiny Sony hooked up.
Does your favorites list not have 103->107 in it? I don't have a HR20 anymore but all my STB's that aren't on a 3D TV show the channels in the guide, they're just grayed out. If you try to record a 3D program you get a popup warming message that you just say to record anyway.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
673 Posts
mjwagner said:
This is not true. I run the HDMI cable from my HR21 to my sound bar first then out of the sound bar to the TV. 3D works perfectly. And you can stream 3D from a receiver that is not connected directly to a 3D capable TV over WH to receiver connected as described. Works fine. I record all my 3D stuff using my HR34 which is connected to a non 3D capable TV and then stream the content over WH to my HR21 that is connected to a 3D capable set.
I should specify, Directv does not support having the receiver connected to any audio or video receiver prior to the connection to the television. This does not mean it will not work and in many cases it will work fine, but their technical department will rarely work with you to fix any issues claiming it should not be connected in this way: best compared to unsupported Whole Home DVR versus using their SWM/Deca setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,659 Posts
"goinsleeper" said:
I should specify, Directv does not support having the receiver connected to any audio or video receiver prior to the connection to the television. This does not mean it will not work and in many cases it will work fine, but their technical department will rarely work with you to fix any issues claiming it should not be connected in this way: best compared to unsupported Whole Home DVR versus using their SWM/Deca setup.
If a person has a 3D capable display without a 3D capable AVR...their setup is severely lacking. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
Hoosier205 said:
If a person has a 3D capable display without a 3D capable AVR...their setup is severely lacking. :)
Disagree, since DIRECTV audio is limited to DD5.1 using just a TOSLINK or coax connection to an AVR and HDMI to the TV for video works out just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,659 Posts
RAD said:
Disagree, since DIRECTV audio is limited to DD5.1 using just a TOSLINK or coax connection to an AVR and HDMI to the TV for video works out just fine.
:rolleyes: The point was the inclusion of an AVR for surround sound purposes rather than the use of TV speakers or a soundbar. I shudder at the very thought...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"Hoosier205" said:
:rolleyes: The point was the inclusion of an AVR for surround sound purposes rather than the use of TV speakers or a soundbar. I shudder at the very thought...
Yes, but someone might have a 3D TV and non 3D AVR, and not have a lacking system. They may have no interest in 3D.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top