DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Legend
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with D* for about 8 years and I keep receiving emails that I'm eligible for new equipment, but I'd like to have a better idea what my options are before I call D*.

If I read it correctly, I have a 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish plus a Multi-Switch KA 6x8. I presently have one HR21-100 and a D12-100. (I also have a room wired for a second D12 that I returned a few years ago.)

I'd like to replace the HR21 since it changes channels soooo slowly these days and upgrade the D12 to an HD box since I now have an HDTV in that room.

What are my options? What might they want to charge me? How much of an additional commitment will they require?

I've been pretty oblivious about developments for the last 5 or 6 years and thought I'd ask you guys that really know what's going on.

THNX

· Registered
24,395 Posts
I'd get a genie and a mini. Don't except a HR34 only a hr44 or hr54 model. (That's when they actually show up). They will replace the lnb and mutliswtcih as well. Those are outdated for the newer gear.

It'll be a huge improvement in every way. More of everything and DVR function and Hi Definition at both tvs.

There is a chance it'll cost you another $3 a month over what you pay now to bring you closer I line to current pricing but not the full $5 it'd cost a new customer. That's assuming you only pay a 10 Hi Definition fee and a 10 DVR fee and not a 15 DVR fee.

I'd expect it'll be free upgrade though.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Get a Genie and have the tech service swap the HR21 for an HR24. You would have two DVRs with 7 tuners total. Don't get bamboozled into a mini since you already have an HDDVR. Getting another DVR later will cost you $199.00

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
24,395 Posts
peds48 said:
Get a Genie and have the tech service swap the HR21 for an HR24. You would have two DVRs with 7 tuners total. Don't get bamboozled into a mini since you already have an HDDVR. Getting another DVR later will cost you $199.00

If he's good with three tuners and his current DVR capabilities a genie and a mini is perfect and better than keeping an old style DVR for all kinds of reasons. Including how much nicer the playlist looks without a hr2x and its lack of season info.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
inkahauts said:
If he's good with three tuners and his current DVR capabilities a genie and a mini is perfect and better than keeping an old style DVR for all kinds of reasons. Including how much nicer the playlist looks without a hr2x and its lack of season info.
I would never, ever give up a DVR for a mini, is just dumb. As I said before, if you ever need it again you have to pay up. Would you trade a Ferrari for a Pinto?

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Because he probably doesn't need it. It's a waste of power and more work to coordinate for zero reason. If he upgrades every 8 years none of this stuff will be used next time he upgrades anyway.

I don't understand the idea of making a system more complex than it needs to be just for the sake of being able to. If he comes back and says yeah I really need three and half times more recording ability than I have today instead of only two and half times more, sure. But till then it's an over complication and use lose all the advantages of the mini.

· Legend
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now we have 2 tuners and only have an occasional conflict where we want to record 2 and watch a third program.

I'm assuming the Genie has 5 tuners and the mini is just a slave unit? We'd record on the Genie in the "TV room" and playback on the mini in the bedroom?

I have nothing against the HR21 except that it's incredibly slow going from one channel to the next. I'm at the point where I just go to the guide in order to avoid the delay. It's so slow that I sometimes have to enter a 3 digit number 3 or 4 times. (If I try to enter 202, half the time it only registers 2 or 20 and jumps to the wrong channel.)

If I get a new lnb and mutliswtcih, with the Genie and keep the HR21, will it speed up??? (The D12 is much faster!)

· Registered
4,171 Posts
The HR21 will never speed up. at this point they dont even want them back, if you just disconnect one they will send an envelope for the access card and tell you to just recycle the DVR. You are correct in that the Genie has 5 tuners and the mini is a slave. The mini will use a tuner off the Genie to play live TV. I am not a huge fan of the minis myself but from your usage description a Genie and Mini will serve you just fine.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
There been many complaints here on this board that minis, being slaves, are no speed demons.

So try for the service swap of the HR21 for a HR24.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
inkahauts said:
Because he probably doesn't need it. It's a waste of power and more work to coordinate for zero reason. If he upgrades every 8 years none of this stuff will be used next time he upgrades anyway.

I don't understand the idea of making a system more complex than it needs to be just for the sake of being able to. If he comes back and says yeah I really need three and half times more recording ability than I have today instead of only two and half times more, sure. But till then it's an over complication and use lose all the advantages of the mini.
not quite. When I had a single HDDVR I got around because I had to shuffle with time frames to schedule all my shows. It was like playing chess. I recorded locals with higher priority and cable channels with lower priorities so they recorded over night. Once I got the Genie and kept the DVR, that was a thing of the past. With 7 tuners I did not have to worry what time they show aired. I just schedule way. Of course now with 26 tuners I really dont need to worry about it. I would never, ever trade a DVR for a mini, is just a horrendous idea, believe me.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
peds48 said:
not quite. When I had a single HDDVR I got around because I had to shuffle with time frames to schedule all my shows. It was like playing chess. I recorded locals with higher priority and cable channels with lower priorities so they recorded over night. Once I got the Genie and kept the DVR, that was a thing of the past. With 7 tuners I did not have to worry what time they show aired. I just schedule way. Of course now with 26 tuners I really dont need to worry about it. I would never, ever trade a DVR for a mini, is just a horrendous idea, believe me.

What you describe with the DVR simply recording the latter showing on a cable channel is not an issue IMHO. It's a feature.

And sense the op said he has at most three shows ever on at the same time, that's not even an issue.

I have minis and totally totally absolutely disagree with you. It's exactly what you do in some situations. But in his he's trading a SD box for a mini and a bad DVR for a good genie. No brainer.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Drucifer said:
There been many complaints here on this board that minis, being slaves, are no speed demons.

So try for the service swap of the HR21 for a HR24.
If you have a mini tied to a HR34 you would hate it. With a hr44/54 even if it's runnning slow it is still running circles around a HR21. Circles. Those things are dog slow.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
inkahauts said:
What you describe with the DVR simply recording the latter showing on a cable channel is not an issue IMHO. It's a feature.

And sense the op said he has at most three shows ever on at the same time, that's not even an issue.

I have minis and totally totally absolutely disagree with you. It's exactly what you do in some situations. But in his he's trading a SD box for a mini and a bad DVR for a good genie. No brainer.
I totally disagree with you and others as well. Is a no brainer to have the tech swap the 21 for a 24 and have two full DVRs. OP won't regret it, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Godfather
994 Posts
Just a question about multiple DVR and sorry to steal. When you looking at recordings is there just one list of all no matter where recorded or is is separate? I am assuming that any client can play any recorded no matter which DVR recorded?

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
One list. Clients can play recordings from any DVR.

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
CTJon said:
Just a question about multiple DVR and sorry to steal. When you looking at recordings is there just one list of all no matter where recorded or is is separate? I am assuming that any client can play any recorded no matter which DVR recorded?
You also have an option to turn that feature off at any DVR. Say your kids have a DVR and you don't want to see all their shows. You can set their DVR so it doesn't share.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
CTJon said:
One list with option for 'all' or 'local' playlist if there are more than one DVR.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
peds48 said:
I totally disagree with you and others as well. Is a no brainer to have the tech swap the 21 for a 24 and have two full DVRs. OP won't regret it, ever.

You seem to think your way is always the best way even without considering how someone would use the system. You also seem to always not care about the advantages of minis over dvrs. There's a lot of reasons a genie only system is better and more streamlined than two dvrs when there is zero actual need for more tuners to record and more recording space or series links.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.