DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The sluggishness is more a function of the server you are using (HR54) than the client (C61K). You won't see that with an HS17.
I'll have to take your word for it, because I have no plans on replacing my HR54 with a HS17. I'll use the C51K exclusively for 4K content for the foreseeable future, and keep my HR24.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have been watching some of the 4K content using the C61K. I have to admit--it looks pretty darn good. I had hoped to take advantage of the 4K on-demand movies, but the $10.99 rental cost seems to be a little steep.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
I have been watching some of the 4K content using the C61K. I have to admit--it looks pretty darn good. I had hoped to take advantage of the 4K on-demand movies, but the $10.99 rental cost seems to be a little steep.
Yeh cheaper to rent movies if you have some other 4K streaming device and use iTunes/Vudu or Amazon

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Wow! Steep is an understatement. I rent movies a lot on iTunes (almost all 4K) and Amazon and I've never seen such a high price for a rental. It should look pretty darn good at that price. That's a lot of money for a rental.

Rich

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I seems that the rental rates vary by title. For example, Rich Asians is $10.99, while Bad Times at the El Royal is $12.99 (both are 2-day rentals). If you go too far ahead in the Guide, the Info button doesn’t even show the cost of the rental. Seems like a bit of a mess right now.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I seems that the rental rates vary by title. For example, Rich Asians is $10.99, while Bad Times at the El Royal is $12.99 (both are 2-day rentals). If you go too far ahead in the Guide, the Info button doesn't even show the cost of the rental. Seems like a bit of a mess right now.
iTunes would be my choice. Rental for both movies listed above is $5.99 for a two day rental. The two day rental kicks in during the 30 days you have to watch a rental. Once you start watching you have two days. Amazon has similar pricing, iTunes gives you 4K in some rentals.
Rich

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Something very strange is happening. Both the HR54 and the C61K are responding to the IR commands from my Harmony remote at the same time (as expected). Of course, I am only watching one device, typically the HR54, so I cannot see what is happening on the C61K. I am noticing that the Continue Watching list is filling up with programs that I have not actually started watching yet. Evidently, the programs are being started on the C61K by the keystrokes intended for the HR54. This is undesirable behavior, and I don’t know how to prevent it. I am tempted to put a piece of tape over the IR Sensor on the C61K when it is not in use. Or I am tempted to return the C61K, since I am disappointed in the price and limited availability of on-demand shows.

Overall, this has been a big disappointment.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Temporary success! I covered the IR port on the C61K, so it is no longer seeing the IR commands from the Harmony remote. But it still responds to RF commands from the RC73 remote. I still need to use two remotes, but the undesirable behavior I reported in the previous post is now prevented.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Nope, I have my C61K operating by IR and the 54 is in an adjacent cabinet and both are using different IR codes.

The C61K has an IR/RF mode. At first both units were responding to the same commands. I then started messing around using my Harmony 900 remote which was set for Directv1 using code 0001 which still operated both units.

I added a C61K client to the remote via the Harmony software. After messing with the RF and IR settings on the 61 it somehow picked up that the Harmony was on a different IR command set and started to respond to it. Wish I could tell you how but it is working and I am not going to mess with it again.
Darn. I really wish you remembered how you got this to work!

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Darn. I really wish you remembered how you got this to work!
On the client, go into Remote Setup and see if it has Multiple receivers in the same room. It probably says 3 or more but it has always been wrong, it is 2 or more. Go thru that and set it as receiver number 2.
I don't know what you do in the Harmony but the code for this receiver now is 00002 and the Genie is 00001.

Reactions: Delroy E Walleye

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
I think jimmie57 is on to something.

Although I don't have a client, a Harmony or HR54, I was able when setting up the HR44 to use the AV1 position (RC6x remote) with IR while the RC7x operated it using RF.

(I did this because there were three HRs running in the same room and wanted separate access to all of them.)

Point being, I can't imagine neither the HR54 or the client not being able to be programmed one or the other to a different IR command.

Even if you still have to use two remotes, you should be able to remove the IR cover off the C61k.

But hopefully the Harmony could also be programmed with the "alternate" set of IR commands.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I checked the menu setup in the C61K, but unfortunately there is no provision for an alternate IR code set. I am OK with leaving the tape over the IR Sensor on the C61K and controlling it with RF commands from a second remote. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,008 Posts
But hopefully the Harmony could also be programmed with the "alternate" set of IR commands.
In my original setup the way I programmed the Harmony to work off of a different group of IR commands was pretty straight forward.

I first paired my Directv remote to an HR23 using the alternate IR setup of 0003 then when that was working I selected an HR23 as the receiver in the Harmony software.

After that was done and I configured the buttons I went into learn IR commands and reassigned each button using the DirecTV remote on 0003 as the source.

You could do this using any of the older HR series receivers as they all use the same IR codes under each of the selections.

I am not sure why this time around I was just able to install a C61K on the Harmony and it worked. I know it did not work at first but after some fiddling around the HR54 stopped working on the command set and the C61K was the only thing responding.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I first paired my Directv remote to an HR23 using the alternate IR setup of 0003 then when that was working I selected an HR23 as the receiver in the Harmony software.
Can you explain what you mean by using the alternate IR setup of 0003? I can find no mention of alternate IR setups with the equipment I have.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,008 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by using the alternate IR setup of 0003? I can find no mention of alternate IR setups with the equipment I have.
Here is a link that even goes further and might solve your problem. I just set the receiver to "Receiver 3" and then went to the next step of setting the remote to 0003.

The instructions on SS go a step further in allowing one remote to select between three receivers.

HOW TO DO IT: Control 3 DIRECTV receivers with 1 remote - The Solid Signal Blog

Hope this help

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Here is a link that even goes further and might solve your problem. I just set the receiver to "Receiver 3" and then went to the next step of setting the remote to 0003.

The instructions on SS go a step further in allowing one remote to select between three receivers.

HOW TO DO IT: Control 3 DIRECTV receivers with 1 remote - The Solid Signal Blog

Hope this help
Thank you for finding and providing this link. I will see if the instructions are applicable to the HR54/C61K combo. I'll report results later today.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The sluggishness is more a function of the server you are using (HR54) than the client (C61K). You won't see that with an HS17.
Carl, I notice when watching a recording from my bedroom HR24 on the downstairs HR54, the performance is sluggish as well. How much of this sluggish behavior is attributable to the responsiveness of the network/cable connection, and how much is attributable to the horsepower of the serving device? In other words, just because the HS17 is a more powerful server, does it overcome what might be simply the network/cable connection?

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thank you for finding and providing this link. I will see if the instructions are applicable to the HR54/C61K combo. I'll report results later today.
No joy. The RC65R remote doesn't control the C61K, nor does the "Advanced" button appear on the C61K remote control setup screen.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
No joy. The RC65R remote doesn't control the C61K, nor does the "Advanced" button appear on the C61K remote control setup screen.
From what I read the Genies do both IR and RF at the same time. Maybe you have to switch all previous suggestions and make the Genie the number 2 receiver. ???

41 - 60 of 83 Posts