DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Onkyo sound bar Model SBT-A500. I tried to set up my Direct TV remote control RC66 to use with it, but none of the codes that are provided are working. Any advice on what to do or does someone have the code they can share with me?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I just bought a new Onkyo sound bar Model SBT-A500. I tried to set up my Direct TV remote control RC66 to use with it, but none of the codes that are provided are working. Any advice on what to do or does someone have the code they can share with me?
A lot of sound bars are tough. From the product sheet of the unit I see that it has an Optical Input. Have you tried running an Optical cable from your TV to it and see if the TV settings will control the volume ?
Are you using the ARC HDMI connection on the TV ? See pages 13 and 65 of the manual.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29402742B_SBT-A500_EnFrEs_171211_web.pdf

This is a place to manually look up codes. Remote Control Code Lookup

Choose the Remote and then choose Audio, type in the brand. A code will come up. Write it down to try. Then choose more codes.

Reactions: Mr. Bungle

·
Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of sound bars are tough. From the product sheet of the unit I see that it has an Optical Input. Have you tried running an Optical cable from your TV to it and see if the TV settings will control the volume ?
Are you using the ARC HDMI connection on the TV ? See pages 13 and 65 of the manual.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29402742B_SBT-A500_EnFrEs_171211_web.pdf

This is a place to manually look up codes. Remote Control Code Lookup

Choose the Remote and then choose Audio, type in the brand. A code will come up. Write it down to try. Then choose more codes.
Thanks for the help. I tried that very spot with all the codes on it and none of them worked. I'm not even sure I have an ARC HDMI connection on the TV. (Its an older model Samsung from several years ago.) I know there is a way for you to put the RC66 remote into "search mode", but I'm not sure I remember how to do it. If nothing else, I can buy a logitech 650 on amazon right now for $40. Might be worth the investment if I can't find the solution. Thanks again!

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Thanks for the help. I tried that very spot with all the codes on it and none of them worked. I'm not even sure I have an ARC HDMI connection on the TV. (Its an older model Samsung from several years ago.) I know there is a way for you to put the RC66 remote into "search mode", but I'm not sure I remember how to do it. If nothing else, I can buy a logitech 650 on amazon right now for $40. Might be worth the investment if I can't find the solution. Thanks again!
The HDMI connection on the TV will have the ARC in very small letters on it.
Probably a good idea to get the Logitech.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I had the same problem with a Polk soundbar. Got tired of trying to get the D* remotes to work and got a Harmony 650 just for the soundbar. I ended up buying Sideclicks for my Apple TV and Fire TV boxes. Easier to program and a lot smaller. The Sideclick for the ATV is removable and can be used independently. Not as many functions as the 650 but more than enough for a soundbar. Here's a link to the Sideclick lineup: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...tes&sprefix=sidecli,aps,166&crid=9YNHQ8QAVA9D

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.