DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Mentor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread but will try here as well since no responses yet.

I am having difficulty understanding the initial set up and so far, I have not been able to connect. I have DSL and send a feed from it to an Airport Base Station and then a feed from the Airport Base station to a router which then sends a separate hard line feed to my family room. All my computers see the wireless network and can access the internet with no problem. The hard line in the family room feeds another router and then outputs to a XBOX 360, a PS3 and the HR20. The two game systems see the internet with no problem but the HR20 does not.

The HR20 did have information in the Advanced Set up area after I connected the ethernet line which appeared to be correct but it still told me it could not connect. Here's what I see on the set up sceen:

IP Address: 10.0.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.1.1
DNS: 10.0.1.1
Network: Not connected
Internet: Not connected

All the Macs in my household will get a 10.x.x.x number assigned to it from the Airport network and it looks like the HR20 was also assigned one but it does not work.

Any help would be appreciated to enable this. Even info on how to clear the screen data would help.

Thanks,
Paul

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
Have you tried using DHCP? At the very least, I wouldn't be looking to a router for DNS information.

I'm pretty sure you're going to wish that you had the HR20 connected to the computer network. It may be a problem trying to tunnel through two routers from the Internet side to use the Internet functionality.

· Mentor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
Have you tried using DHCP? At the very least, I wouldn't be looking to a router for DNS information.

I'm pretty sure you're going to wish that you had the HR20 connected to the computer network. It may be a problem trying to tunnel through two routers from the Internet side to use the Internet functionality.
How do I use DHCP on the HR20? That's what I use for all the computers but I don't know now to do this on the HR20.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
PMA said:
How do I use DHCP on the HR20? That's what I use for all the computers but I don't know now to do this on the HR20.
The HR20 will use DHCP unless you specifically assign the TCP/IP config info in the advanced configuration menu. The thing that pops right out at me is your Gateway and DNS server are the same IP address. Make sure you can ping the IP address the HR20 is assigned from one of your computers. Also, check on a computer or other device that is able to get outside to the Internet and see what IP it is using for the DNS server. Use one of the DNS servers listed on that device as the DNS server for the HR20.

· Mentor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PoitNarf said:
The HR20 will use DHCP unless you specifically assign the TCP/IP config info in the advanced configuration menu. The thing that pops right out at me is your Gateway and DNS server are the same IP address. Make sure you can ping the IP address the HR20 is assigned from one of your computers. Also, check on a computer or other device that is able to get outside to the Internet and see what IP it is using for the DNS server. Use one of the DNS servers listed on that device as the DNS server for the HR20.
OK, thanks. I assumed it was using DHCP when I first looked at the Advanced Set up screen and saw the 10.x.x.x number. This auto populated when I first plugged in the ethernet cable. I tried putting in the actual DNS number from my ISP and still no go.

Can you further explain how to ping the HR20 from my computer? Not sure how to do this.

Appreciate your help.

Paul

· Mentor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I checked both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 which is also connected to the same switch as the HR20. These are both on line and have the 10.0.1.1 DNS number listed on both of their set up screens.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
PMA said:
I posted this in another thread but will try here as well since no responses yet.

The hard line in the family room feeds another router and then outputs to a XBOX 360, a PS3 and the HR20. The two game systems see the internet with no problem but the HR20 does not.
why 2 routers? you only need a hub behind the game systems.. my be your problem...

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
PMA said:
OK, thanks. I assumed it was using DHCP when I first looked at the Advanced Set up screen and saw the 10.x.x.x number. This auto populated when I first plugged in the ethernet cable. I tried putting in the actual DNS number from my ISP and still no go.

Can you further explain how to ping the HR20 from my computer? Not sure how to do this.

Appreciate your help.

Paul
Based on this quote, you are using DHCP.
Most home routers serve as DNS forwarders and as WINS agents as well. No problems with DNS and gateway being the same. (Nor is it a problem using the ISP's DNS address either, so long as they don't change it.)
Alas, the HR20 does not respond to pings, so you can't use that diagnostic tool.

What is confusing me is that the HR20 is reporting Network: no. With that I would expect it to report Internet no... So why is it reporting that it isn't connected to the network when it clearly is getting DHCP information? hmmm.

Are the appropriate happy lights on the router and the HR20 lit? And is the activity light on the HR20 flashing from time to time?

Now, behind two routers shouldn't affect getting to the internet (I ran that way for a long time), but it probably will make connecting the HR20 to any PCs on the other side of a router very unlikely. I since have turned my second router into a hub as the two weren't behaving as nicely as I would have liked.

Good luck,
Tom

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Ok, so the airport is handing out 10.x.x.x. IP's... The router is connected to the Airport base station and is supplying the wired connection to your media devices which is connected to another router that is supplying connections to your X-BOX, PS and HR-20? Are you talking about switches or routers? If routers, are they all NAT'ing IP's (handing out IP's) or are they just passing traffic and routing requests from the Airport Base?

· Icon
563 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Ok, so the airport is handing out 10.x.x.x. IP's... The router is connected to the Airport base station and is supplying the wired connection to your media devices which is connected to another router that is supplying connections to your X-BOX, PS and HR-20? Are you talking about switches or routers? If routers, are they all NAT'ing IP's (handing out IP's) or are they just passing traffic and routing requests from the Airport Base?
try a reset. You should be able to pass the network test. And I thought HR20 does respond to pings.

· AllStar
77 Posts
I can't ping mine

· Registered
2,913 Posts
hasan said:
I'm running static IP on my HR20 and I can ping it from my laptop just fine.
That's interesting... I've not been able to ping mine and I've talked to about a half dozen folks on the board that report the same results. That the HR-20 does NOT respond to pings which leads be to believe that there is some kind of a firewall running on the box.

I wonder, based on when you got your HR-20, if different versions of firmware for the NIC itself exist?

· AllStar
74 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
That's interesting... I've not been able to ping mine and I've talked to about a half dozen folks on the board that report the same results. That the HR-20 does NOT respond to pings which leads be to believe that there is some kind of a firewall running on the box.

I wonder, based on when you got your HR-20, if different versions of firmware for the NIC itself exist?
I am not able to connect to the internet but do connect to the local network and can play audio/pictures from files on one of my laptops. I've switched from IPs that were DHCP and static but same result. Also checked DNS server address and they too match what the both the router and laptop are assigned.

The HR-20 shows up in the routers DHCP Clients table but as others have reported I too am not able to ping the HR-20. So why no internet connection?

· Registered
4,880 Posts
hasan said:
I'm running static IP on my HR20 and I can ping it from my laptop just fine.
Code:
C:\Users\admin>ping 192.168.1.104

Pinging 192.168.1.104 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
No dice for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status