DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has asked me to look into a problem he is having with some trading software. The software is Tradestation.

It seems that at 9:30 each morning the system bogs down and becomes nearly unresponsive.
I haven't been by his office to look at it yet, because I want to go as prepared as possible.
I'm thinking it's a network issue, because of the time being the same everyday, but he also says that friends of his aren't seeing the slow downs.

I guess I can use his Windows XP Performace Monitor, but I was wondering if there was something better. Something that aggregates machine and network performance into one interface, so that I could more accurately define where the bottleneck is occurring?

Suggestions?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David Ortiz said:
Perhaps a scheduled antivirus scan? I've seen those slow down systems. Sometimes they're even stored in another user's profile.
I haven't been by there yet, but he indicated that
1- There is no antivirus software, because it can cause problems with speed
2- The system has been fully wiped and re-installed, yet the problem persists.

I'll probably take one of my PCs there and install the software on it to try to further isolate the problem.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. I'm thinking that the data stream from Tradestation is overloaded, but he says that his friends don't see the slowdown like he does. So maybe it's Comcast?
I just need a way to prove the theory.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Comcast, probably. Is there a significant response expected by the server? Upstream is throttled to death with Comcast.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what the program requires. I would assume the upstream is dictated by a couple of factors.
How often the system polls for updates.
How often he executes a buy/sell order.
Others?

Is there any third party software that would log and chart these actions over time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.