DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Little long winded, but thought I'd include everything.

I have a terribly installed 3 lnb DTV / OTA setup with everything is strung on the outside of the house. My dish and antenna array are mounted on the chimney of my 2 story house, about 40 feet off the ground. DTV said they'll upgrade my equipment which is good since the dish is so damn high and the roof is pitched so much.

I'd like to buy a SWMLine lnb and have the installer use it instead of the 5 lnb he'll show up with. Will he do it? I'm sure since he has to swap out the round dish for the oval, he'll have to realign the new lnbs... He should have a signal meter up there with him, right?

I'll have everything ready in the attic; power inserter ready for the dish line attached to the splitter feeding the in wall lines. I need diplexers to combine the OTA. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Herb

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
One advice. Be prepared to guide the tech in regards to the SWM/SWMLine. Not all of them know what it is and how to use/install it. Also his meter might not be SWM compatible.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mertzen said:
Also his meter might not be SWM compatible.
GULP! That ain't good. Most of the installers that have been here have balked about getting up on my roof even when they have brought the requested 40' ladder.

What can I do to make sure he has what he needs and is up on the technology?

I'd rather do it myself but I don't have a signal finder and the height is a little scary.

Thanks,

Herb

· Registered
2,570 Posts
DBSHerb said:
Hey everybody,

Little long winded, but thought I'd include everything.

I have a terribly installed 3 lnb DTV / OTA setup with everything is strung on the outside of the house. My dish and antenna array are mounted on the chimney of my 2 story house, about 40 feet off the ground. DTV said they'll upgrade my equipment which is good since the dish is so damn high and the roof is pitched so much.

I'd like to buy a SWMLine lnb and have the installer use it instead of the 5 lnb he'll show up with. Will he do it? I'm sure since he has to swap out the round dish for the oval, he'll have to realign the new lnbs... He should have a signal meter up there with him, right?

I'll have everything ready in the attic; power inserter ready for the dish line attached to the splitter feeding the in wall lines. I need diplexers to combine the OTA. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Herb
First the SWMLine is on a "staggard rollout" its available in some areas but not all. So you could request they use one (most likely won't) or you could buy one. PM dave29 here he may have them. The installer may have already seen the training material on it. I think he may not want to diplex it for you though. Since it's not a supported feature by D*. as far as signals go RobertE could tell you better, but I think if he hooks up the regular LNB and switches once its fine tuned he should have no problems. My Slimline was alrady installed I just switched to LNB. and Voila SWM was online.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool guys...

So if he is unfamiliar, have him align the Slimline and then swap it for the SWMline. Smart!

I totally understand about not doing the diplexing. If I'm doing it in the attic, how should I do it and what diplexers should I buy?

Finally, I've heard of power outage issues possibly necessitating a Power Inserter power cycle. Having it up in the attic makes that a chore. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Herb

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
DBSHerb said:
Finally, I've heard of power outage issues possibly necessitating a Power Inserter power cycle. Having it up in the attic makes that a chore. Any suggestions?
Extension cord with a switch at the attic entrance?

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
See my signature.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
dave29 said:
is there a reason that you do not want to put the power inserter behind a reciever?
And for that matter the attic is a bad idea due to heat. Look at some setups around here, you will see that most of us have the PI inside the house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.