DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm still on the old Hughes SD-DVR40 Tivos with the original dish.

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to upgrade to the newest , latest DVR? I see Direct is promoting an HMC and HD DVR HR24

Do I need to change my dish?
Can I just add adapters to the multi cable lines?
Which DVR is the latest and greatest?
Can I just call Direct and upgrade or can I buy one on Ebay or Amazon and install it myself?

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated and thank you
Derk:)

·
Godfather
433 Posts
You will need to change you dish to go to HD.

HR34 (the HMC DVR) will give you 5 tuners to record 5 things at 1 time.
HR24 is a 2 tuner HD-DVR.

You should check online in case they have free or discounted upgrades available, otherwise you can call them and they can help you. I would avoid using E-bay if you want to buy yourself, you could use online retailer such as amazon or solidsignal if you want to do this yourself, but you will need to upgrade your dish.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
In order to get HD, you will have to replace your dish, and your receiver. There are no adapters or converters that will work with what you currently have.

You might also look at the new THR22 DirecTivo, given that you currently have a Tivo based DVR. It will give you the closest user experience to your current unit possible, along with HD, and retain Tivo features. However, it lacks some of the features available with the non-Tivo HD equipment. More info on the Tivo unit here: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=194

·
Legend
183 Posts
If you go sit down with one of your local authorized Directv retailers they will be able to explain everything you need for the upgrade. They can schedule your install and you will be able to make sure you get the latest equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.