DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having to go throw the menu to check the signal strength is ridiculous. One should be able to check the signal strength of any channel by the push of a button. Especially for ppl with indoor antennas who sometimes have to move the antenna around to get the best signal. I hope the current setup changes. :confused:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
If you have to move your antenna from channel to channel to get the best signal.

Then that doesn't work well in a DVR enviornemnt, as you may not be around to move that antenna when you have a scheduled recording.

Once you peek your signal strength, you shouldn't have to move your antenna again.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in the DC area where I get OTA channels from the DC and Baltimore markets. With an indoor antenna you don't have a choice but to move the antenna because the signals are coming from different directions. With OTA in the mix being able to check the signal strength should be easy bcos some of us have to do some tweaking.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Tmax88 said:
I live in the DC area where I get OTA channels from the DC and Baltimore markets. With an indoor antenna you don't have a choice but to move the antenna because the signals are coming from different directions. With OTA in the mix being able to check the signal strength should be easy bcos some of us have to do some tweaking.
That is all fine and good, for watching LIVE TV..
But how do you expect the unit to do the tweaking, when it is recording something when you are not around?

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, If I had a scheduled recording on an OTA channel I would obviously tweak the antenna before the recording. And yes, I do watch live tv especially football games. Maybe it's me, but I think it should be more simple.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
I think it's fine the way it is, You must not have have used an HR10-250 Tivo unit because it was the same thing, maybe even more buried in the menus. Then you had to know what frequency your channels were on and then thumb up to the frequency which for me meant 30+ remote clicks to get to frequency 34. The HR20 is much more intuitive and user friendly in this regard. Although I do like the audio feedback from the Tivo unit, I would turn it up real loud so I could here it in my attic to really tweak my antenna placement.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Tmax88 said:
Well, If I had a scheduled recording on an OTA channel I would obviously tweak the antenna before the recording. And yes, I do watch live tv especially football games. Maybe it's me, but I think it should be more simple.
I can understand that..
But... When the unit doesn't record something, because it couldn't get a signal. Is the first thing you are going to think of... I didn't move the antenna, or the unit messed up.

When the other poster, refered to the DTivo... is that this particular topic has been hashed out for a long time, already.

So unless someone comes out with a DVR, that has logic built in to rotate the antenna, and schedule programs accordingly (since you obviously don't want it recording from two ota's that need the antenna pointed in two different directions)....

What I would suggest... Some sort of identifier on the surface you are using the antenna. A piece or paper, or something else.

Point your antenna, and mark it on the paper... this way you can quickly repoint when you need to... as the broadcast antennas are not moving, neither is your home.

Or investigate AVSForum's local reception forums, and see if others in your area have come up with a better solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.