DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do D*, TiVo, or any other entity with a set top box and feedback capabilities play into the Neilsen ratings? Or, is it strictly on a random/voluntary basis?

·
Icon
895 Posts
Tivo has, since the begining of Series 2, given ratings to Neilsen if the customer didn't mind.

DirecTV just very recently signed an agreement with Neilsen for God knows what, so yeah...

·
Legend
101 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
Tivo has, since the begining of Series 2, given ratings to Neilsen if the customer didn't mind.

DirecTV just very recently signed an agreement with Neilsen for God knows what, so yeah...
I wonder if the "ratings" are registered when a show is recorded, or when a show is viewed. If it's the latter, they're gonna hate me during ratings weeks. We record "serial" shows like prison break, and 24, then watch them over consecutive nights when the season is over. :) Just started watchin seson 2 of prison break this week.

--Mike

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonaswan2 said:

Does this apply to my directivo as well?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
greenie95125 said:
I wonder if the "ratings" are registered when a show is recorded, or when a show is viewed.
I was approached by Nielsen a couple of years ago. In the journal I had to keep I wrote down what I watched when I actually watched it, and there was a column where I documented when it actually aired and I recorded it.

I'm guessing that the ratings you see reported every week are pretty much what is watched live (or maybe nearly live), but that's just my guess based on the timing of their release. How the timeshifting affects any aspects that the ratings are based on I couldn't begin to guess.

If a show has a significant audience that watches it at a time other than when it airs, does that come into play in determining what they charge advertisers? Is there a significant enough number of those situations that it would really have ANY effect? Are those numbers who time-shift actually ignored advertising-wise because chances are good those people wouldn't be watching the ads anyway? All questions I have absolutely no answer for! :)

·
Legend
115 Posts
ProfLonghair said:
Does this apply to my directivo as well?
If I am not mistaken it takes the information you watch live and recorded. Yes the D* receivers do the same. Press the Active button on your remote and go to what's hot it shows the most watched programs at that time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.