DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded the Bruins on NESN HD the other night and the recording was there but was completely unwatchable. Stuttering, skipping, blocky and just down right terrible. I did some tests just to see if it was the channel and low an behold it is. When watching it live the picture is perfect without even a trace of an artifact or skip. But the recordings (I made 2 more of about five minutes) are unwatchable. I am recording some other channels that are mpeg4 to see if it is the codec or the channel.

Is this something that sounds like another issue or is it something that is known and needs to be addressed in a software update?

I finished my tests and have now recorded the entire Patriots game, half of the Steelers game, 60 minutes, and my local evening news. All of which are mpeg4 like NESN HD and the other recordings were perfect. I would love to know if anyone else is having this issue as I have another hr20 on the way because of a supposed tuner issue that was fixed by me when I removed the bbc's from the cabling. I would also like to know if I should test out the new hr20 that is coming or if I should keep this one and hope this issue gets fixed. Other than this issue and a couple of other bugs, the unit seems fine. (I get the jump back to realtime after pausing bug.) I haven't had the thing long enough to know how reliable it is so I'm just not sure what to do. I'd love to keep both but they are rather expensive and I would not be using the second unit for HD.

Amy advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
NESN HD via MPEG4 from the Spaceways is 1080i and fraught with viewable problems both live and recorded. Some games are worse then others but even the less problematic ones are suffering from an 8 mm effect whereas the frame rates look off. A still frame looks good but the motion artifacting looks worse the faster the motion. So its not a specific HR20 issue but rather an MPEG4 issue for some of D*'s 1080i channels. Its been reported this issue is corrected for the New York market but its to be seen when the Boston market will be fixed.

I too have recorded several Bruins games. The ones earlier in the season were dreadful. Lately I am only seeing the frame rate issue.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems kind of strange to me that I see the 8mm effect on my HD locals like in last nights Patriots game but just utter unwatchability on NESN recordings. The Bruins game live and sportsdesk news show after are fine but when I record them they are not remotely watchable.

That's neither here nor there though as I have a refurb unit in my posession and am debating whether or not to activate it and give it a try. Im just not sure that if I activate it, whether or not I'll be able to go back to the original one or not. Id love to test it out and see if the same problems persist. But I might just stick with the original one and see how the updates pan out. Now thinking again on what you wrote it really isnt a defect in the machine itself so why bother even trying the replacement unit? This unit is working fine other than the NESN deal. I should probably wait a bit longer and see how the unit does with Series Link and such before throwing in the towel on it. How long do I have to replace the original one if it never gets fixed?
JP

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
I can confirm this problem on NESN as well.
Wrote in here somewhere a few weeks ago after my install.
I have not done the Directv call on this, though I should to get on the record.
Numbers mean priority I'm sure.
That is if it is truely a directv source / encoding problem.
Everything I've read here and the history lead me to believe that.
I could be wrong.

I do notice while watching live, a periodic 8mm effect that lasts for only a few seconds.

Then the recorded material has video freeze and skip while the audio seems unaffected. Fustrating in that the only value add here is the NESN HD, I get the OTA fine on the other network HD channels.

I also noted the constant 8mm effect on the pats game last night. A few 30 second forwards that seemed to jump 1 minute or more. Kind of like an instant skip. Going back and playing back at normal speed was fine.

The real question should be is anyone NOT experiencing this problem with recorded material on NESN ?

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Update - NESN now records and plays back OK.
Tonight I'm watching NESN for the first time since the install about a month ago without a problem. See prior post for the description of the problem.

Interesting that it would not play back prior recorded NESN material. - grey screen.
Would not let me pause or delay NESN until a reset.

I have not been FW updated yet.

·
Banned
614 Posts
rtphokie said:
If I have the sports pack, should I be getting NESN in HD? Should I get any regional sports channels in HD? If so are they in 600 range or sub 100 like the rest of the HD channels?
You don't need to have any sports pack to get NESN HD if your within the Boston area. Generally if you qualify for locals in Boston then you don't need any extra pack to get HD NESN. HD NESN is on channel 623 HD. Right under channel 623 NESN which is the SD channel.

·
AllStar
96 Posts
I'm in complete shock! I recorded the Bruins vs Sens game on nesn hd and are you ready for this! GULP! Perfect! No pixeling , stuttering or 8mm affect . I'm in total disbelief! Can OTA be far behind?:)

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
rtphokie said:
If I have the sports pack, should I be getting NESN in HD? Should I get any regional sports channels in HD? If so are they in 600 range or sub 100 like the rest of the HD channels?
Well I would assume that if your in NC you would not be able to receive the NESN HD channel as it comes in like one of the locals off a spot beam.

·
Legend
101 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
You don't need to have any sports pack to get NESN HD if your within the Boston area. Generally if you qualify for locals in Boston then you don't need any extra pack to get HD NESN. HD NESN is on channel 623 HD. Right under channel 623 NESN which is the SD channel.
That's what I don't get....

NESN is not a broadcast channel, meaning you can't get it OTA. So why is HD limited to the Boston area? I'm a displaced Sox/Pats fan in CA, and I was hoping that I'd see the NESN Sox broadcasts in HD... nope, just ESPN games, and some YES games (playin' the yanks). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the Sox... period. I was just hoping for HD last season, with NESN's new HD studio and all. Ok, ok... maybe I wanted to see Hazel Mae in HD as well. :new_Eyecr

--Mike

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is great news. I wasn't able to watch the game tonight but I'll go and watch sports desk and see if the problem is gone for me. I wasn't real happy to not be able to even pause the B's and go grab a drink without coming back to a stuttering skipping mess. Ill post my results later.

·
AllStar
89 Posts
This is great news! I've been waiting forever for the Boston MPEG4 to be fixed. Hopefully the football games on ch4 and ch7 look good today too (no more 8mm effect).

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
I didnt catch the game but saw the HD post game and the stuttering 8mm effect appeared GONE as well. This is awesome news. I noticed it gone for CBS as well. Couldnt come to a conclusion to NBC but no matter what, I see improvement and very very happy about it. Hurray to D*!!!

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I said I'd post my results so here goes. I am sorry to disappoint you all, but while watching the Bruins replay, the game looked great.....for the first period and a half. It then reverted back to 8mm effect and stuttering and skipping when pausing restarting. I will watch again later today and see if this was just the replay of the games fault or if my channel or hr20 is screwed up.

·
Icon
545 Posts
greenie95125 said:
That's what I don't get....

NESN is not a broadcast channel, meaning you can't get it OTA. So why is HD limited to the Boston area? I'm a displaced Sox/Pats fan in CA, and I was hoping that I'd see the NESN Sox broadcasts in HD... nope, just ESPN games, and some YES games (playin' the yanks). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the Sox... period. I was just hoping for HD last season, with NESN's new HD studio and all. Ok, ok... maybe I wanted to see Hazel Mae in HD as well. :new_Eyecr

--Mike
It's BANDWIDTH! D* doesn't have enough to put RSN's on CONUS, so they are MPEG4 on spot beams to the "local" region! Maybe, in the future, when new sats go up and all signals are MPEG4, the HD feeds may be broadcast nationaly, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

·
AllStar
89 Posts
The football games yesterday on Boston's MPEG4 CBS and NBC HD channels still had the stuttering effect. The MPEG2 channel of the CBS game (via Sunday Ticket) looked fine.

·
6 Posts
Hello -

A bit confused. I am D* HD subscriber in the Providence market. I am still getting mixed information about NESN in HD. If I call D* and talk to Customer Service or to Level-2 techs I again get conflicting stories and info. Very frustrating.

I currently have a 3LNB dish w/ a Sony HD300 Tuner and get locals OTA.

Should I upgrade now to a 5 LNB & new tuner (H20) in anticipation of NESN/HD being spot beamed in my area soon ???? Or should I sit pat and wait for 2meg signal on 623HD ? I am so confused by D* mis-information... I really just want to watch the Sox in HD.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated ! Thanx in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.