DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using TVersity and would like to stream video from my PC over to my HR21. It would be great if I could add my NetFlix queue as a Video URL and watch the videos on my TV instead of my PC.

Anyone doing this?

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Mantis said:
I am using TVersity and would like to stream video from my PC over to my HR21. It would be great if I could add my NetFlix queue as a Video URL and watch the videos on my TV instead of my PC.

Anyone doing this?
If someone is and responds with a solution on how-to-do this, software, and setup, it would be a much appreciated thing.

I would be interested in this and would upgrade my netflix if this is possible.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
Specifically on TVersity:

posted by ronenmiz on TVersity forums:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9788&p=49193#p49193

Netflix is providinf DRM protected videos and so playing them on the PS3 won't be possible. On the 360, as far as we know it is possible only via media center, however we are looking into this and if there is a legal way to make it happen, we will.
XBox 360 has the proper drm mechanisms - but the HR2x like the PS3's does not have this so I do not see how there could be a legal way to do it.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Take Tversity out of the equation...

You can use the new Netflix $99 box to accomplish the same thing OR, dun a DVI to HDMI cable from your PC to the TV (also audio connectors) and you can run the built in Netflix movie player directly on the TV screen. The Netflix box is the simplest method, and apparently while not currently supplying HD, the box is capable of it.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the NetFlix box works, I have enough equipment hooked up to my TV, and really don't want to add another box. That's the nice thing about TVersity and the HR21. I can watch shows from a computer that is in another room and don't need to dedicate a PC to the living room or hook up yet another device in the room.

It's all about the ease of use and consolidation from a user interface perspective.

· Legend
205 Posts
How about through the use of Media Player 11 along with your DVR? I recall having to upgrade my PC to WMP11 in order for me to view videos from Netflix.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Windows Media Player may be an option. I tried doing using that, and didn't have as much success getting the files streamed over to the HR21, which is why I installed TVersity in the first place. Anyone have a how-to written up on WMP11?

· Legend
179 Posts
I have tried 2 netflix plugins for Vista Media center MyNetfliix and vmcNetflix. Does having these plugins in media center provide a path to getting the netflix videos to the HR2x? I have not even tried the basic HR2x PC interface yet so I am not sure what options there might be for this.

· Godfather
462 Posts
This feature is also being added to the Xbox 360 without the need of a Media Center PC in the not too distant future, so DirecTV could add this feature to the DVR, if they wanted to.

But why would they want you to watch another Movie service on their DVR which provides movie services?

They wouldn't.

· Legend
179 Posts
I figured out how to turn on the PC Media Share stuff. In vmcNetflix it has a download option. The files that I downloaded from Netflix and can play in media center or media player show up in the video list on the HR20 but there is a X next to the file name and it will not play on the HR2x. The files have a wmv file extension.

· Legend
106 Posts
Mantis said:

Anyone doing this?
I would like do be able to do something similar. I have a Vista PC with a TV card and have been recording programs OTA. I would like to be able to stream them to my HD TV. But the HR21-700 will not recognize them, either using WMP11 or TVersity. I know I would be able to do this with xbox, but I really don't want to spend the money. I believe part of the problem may be the extension that microsoft uses. It is (.dvr-ms). Anyway it isn't the end of mankind if I can't. :nono: It just would be nice. :D

2,390 Posts
ozonedan said:
I would like do be able to do something similar. I have a Vista PC with a TV card and have been recording programs OTA. I would like to be able to stream them to my HD TV. But the HR21-700 will not recognize them, either using WMP11 or TVersity. I know I would be able to do this with xbox, but I really don't want to spend the money. I believe part of the problem may be the extension that microsoft uses. It is (.dvr-ms). Anyway it isn't the end of mankind if I can't. :nono: It just would be nice. :D
WMP11 will not transcode so it won't work with the HR21 to stream dvr-ms.

TVersity will transcode - but if it is an HD video stream when it transcodes something weird happens - the image is 'super-sized'; here is a thread from TVersity's forum: http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10504

Basically for either of those servers I think you need to convert the content. I don't know how the other servers handle HD dvr-ms.

· Legend
106 Posts
bhelton71 said:
WMP11 will not transcode so it won't work with the HR21 to stream dvr-ms.

TVersity will transcode - but if it is an HD video stream when it transcodes something weird happens - the image is 'super-sized'; here is a thread from TVersity's forum: http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10504

Basically for either of those servers I think you need to convert the content. I don't know how the other servers handle HD dvr-ms.
This is new to me. How do you convert the content.:confused:

· Legend
185 Posts
Mantis said:
While the NetFlix box works, I have enough equipment hooked up to my TV, and really don't want to add another box. That's the nice thing about TVersity and the HR21. I can watch shows from a computer that is in another room and don't need to dedicate a PC to the living room or hook up yet another device in the room.

It's all about the ease of use and consolidation from a user interface perspective.
I think MediaMall/Active TV is working to include Netflix streaming in their software. I haven't worked with it though.

2,390 Posts
ozonedan said:
This is new to me. How do you convert the content.:confused:
DVR-MS is just a container - so if the video is mpeg2 you should be able to use something like SUPER to put it into a regular MPEG2 program stream - and either should be program should be able to stream it. If the video is WMV - then for WMP you would have to re-encode to MPEG2 or TVersity can transcode it on the fly. Mainly the issue is getting it out of the dvr-ms container.

· Legend
106 Posts
bhelton71 said:
DVR-MS is just a container - so if the video is mpeg2 you should be able to use something like SUPER to put it into a regular MPEG2 program stream - and either should be program should be able to stream it. If the video is WMV - then for WMP you would have to re-encode to MPEG2 or TVersity can transcode it on the fly. Mainly the issue is getting it out of the dvr-ms container.
bhelton71,
Thanks for the information. I downloaded a shareware program called AVS Video Converter. Its very simple to use. And it works great!! It does take awhile to convert. But it works. Thanks, again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.