DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,882 Posts
Yea, you can via PlayOn but frankly you'll be much better off just getting a Roku box or similar (or many Bluray players have it built in now too). Netflix is built into pretty much everything but the microwave these days and you'll be much happier then thru PlayOn to the DirecTV receiver.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,755 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Yea, you can via PlayOn but frankly you'll be much better off just getting a Roku box or similar (or many Bluray players have it built in now too). Netflix is built into pretty much everything but the microwave these days and you'll be much happier then thru PlayOn to the DirecTV receiver.
I use a Roku but I love the idea about the microwave.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
The Blu Ray player's interface is nicer and doesn't require you to have a computer running, but the PlayOn software gives you the advantage of being able to record from Netlix to a VCR or DVD recorder. I can't speak for the Roku device, but my Blu Ray player blocks analog recordings.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
itzme said:
I'm out of HDMI inputs. Does any Netflix set-up let you use the HRs Mediashare? I'm guessing the bitrate governor prevents that.
Yes, PlayOn software allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and practically anything that's available on the internet via your HD-DVR! I've downloaded plugins for Comedy Central, MLB.com, SpikeTV, etc etc. They even have plugins for port sites :lol:
 

· Legend
Joined
·
103 Posts
I was about to try PlayOn myself, but noticed that it doesn't yet have HD support. :(
 

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
Yog-Sothoth said:
I was about to try PlayOn myself, but noticed that it doesn't yet have HD support. :(
Do you see that on their website? I ask because I've been streaming the HD versions of TV episodes via Hulu and Netflix just fine. While it doesn't look like picture perfect HD, it does look REALLY REALLY good!!!

Does anyone know if the ROKU box streams a full HD signal from netflix?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
MISpat said:
Yes, PlayOn software allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and practically anything that's available on the internet via your HD-DVR! I've downloaded plugins for Comedy Central, MLB.com, SpikeTV, etc etc. They even have plugins for port sites :lol:
I've been considering Playon for awhile. Do you use the HR's Mediashare GUI? Do you have trickplay ability? Able to stream high bit rate dvd archives on my network?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
MISpat said:
Do you see that on their website? I ask because I've been streaming the HD versions of TV episodes via Hulu and Netflix just fine. While it doesn't look like picture perfect HD, it does look REALLY REALLY good!!!

Does anyone know if the ROKU box streams a full HD signal from netflix?
Roku is 720p in all cases. How well it does that depends on your connection. A 4Mb DSL might be a bit marginal, but a 15Mb Cable modem works just dandy.

I have the WD HD Live networked video box and like it a LOT -- great UI and it plays everything I throw at it. Word is that a new version (WD HD Live Plus or some such) is just coming out, which adds Netflix and other streaming to the mix. If I didn't already have a Roku box, I'd consider upgrading.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
115 Posts
Playon does work but the Wii interface is waaay better. Its a real mess using the DVR and playon in my opinion.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,882 Posts
itzme said:
Jim, could I please ask you to elaborate on the issues that make it a mess? Just bullet points. Thanks!
No FFW or RRW...pretty much the biggest issue.

It is not HD. It is transcoded. So the quality is obviously a bit worse then the original.

I'll be honest, when MediaShare first launched I thought it was the greatest thing. But then I found out how cruddy it really was compared to so many other options out there, especially a HTPC. If it's your only option then rock on. But there are better options out there and some that don't cost that much either.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
bonscott87 said:
No FFW or RRW...pretty much the biggest issue.

It is not HD. It is transcoded. So the quality is obviously a bit worse then the original.

I'll be honest, when MediaShare first launched I thought it was the greatest thing. But then I found out how cruddy it really was compared to so many other options out there, especially a HTPC. If it's your only option then rock on. But there are better options out there and some that don't cost that much either.
Thanks. That's what I suspected from my research to date. For some reason I have high hopes for google tv having decent mediashare. And I'll likely end up waiting until September to upgrade our tv, soooo... we'll see.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
itzme said:
I've been considering Playon for awhile. Do you use the HR's Mediashare GUI? Do you have trickplay ability? Able to stream high bit rate dvd archives on my network?
Yes I do. But if I'm streaming from Netflix and not wanting to record it to my DVD recorder, I use the Blu Ray player instead because like bonscott87 said, Mediashare won't let you rewind or fast forward for some reason. (It does let you pause however) Like a few others have said, for streaming video from the internet, there are better options available. But it is certainly nice being able to do it without adding another device of some sort to your entertainment center.

And yes, you can also use it to stream DVDs ripped to your computer's hard drive. The downside is that you have to play each VOB file individually... sorta like if you worked in a movie theater and had to change reels :lol: It does look like you're watching the original DVD though. I'm not sure what other devices will let you do this, but I bet some of them do.
 

· Éminence grise
Joined
·
8,457 Posts
MISpat said:
Yes I do. But if I'm streaming from Netflix and not wanting to record it to my DVD recorder, I use the Blu Ray player instead because like bonscott87 said, Mediashare won't let you rewind or fast forward for some reason. (It does let you pause however) Like a few others have said, for streaming video from the internet, there are better options available. But it is certainly nice being able to do it without adding another device of some sort to your entertainment center.
You can only pause for a short time (the length of the buffer?)

And yes, you can also use it to stream DVDs ripped to your computer's hard drive. The downside is that you have to play each VOB file individually... sorta like if you worked in a movie theater and had to change reels :lol: It does look like you're watching the original DVD though. I'm not sure what other devices will let you do this, but I bet some of them do.
Try Handbrake, which will take the VIDEO_TS folder and combine everything into one file.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top