DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 HR20s and what I REALLY want is the ability to network them both together so that I can watch things from one unit on the other. Basically my hope is that with the new networking capability that there would be some way for one unit to read the other's contents. I realize this would probably use one channel in each tuner but that would be fine. My HR20s are in different rooms and I want to be able to start watching a show in my gym and then finish watching in the other room when I'm done working out.

Any idea if/how that would work now that these things can be networked?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
MRV is the name of the feature you are referring to.
As of right now, no... it is not possible with the units

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you heard of any plans to do it? It should not be hard at all. Should be able to do it via software. If it can read files on a PC, it could read files on another receiver as long as they're all networked. I don't mind connecting both receivers to a VIIV Vista PC if that's what it takes.

· Legend
197 Posts
I believe this is not very technically challenging! HR20 just needs to see other file from other boxes, just like its own internal or eSATA drive. The other check it needs to do is to check if the show is in use before delete the show

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but someone has to add code for that. I was hoping someone would write a bit of software for Windows to treat each HR20 as its own drive. Then when I'm in one HR20, I can look at the files on the VIIV PC and the other HR20. Sadly, I don't know how to do more than conceptualize the product/functionality.

· DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
cuibap said:
I believe this is not very technically challenging! HR20 just needs to see other file from other boxes, just like its own internal or eSATA drive. The other check it needs to do is to check if the show is in use before delete the show
You're right - it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I have 3 tivos that are networked together and it is great to shoot video around the house, especially to the one in the exercise room that does not have an active sub but is visible to the active ones. As it has been said, it is just a matter of them wanting to do it. You would think they would want to because it would encourage people to buy/lease more of them.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
An option to consider, although it won't give you hi-def. Use a UHF modulator on each of your units set to different channels, and feed all of your TV's with the mixed signal. Then you can tune any tv in your house to any source device.

With IR repeaters, or RF remotes, you can control the dvr's remotely.

Carl

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carl6 said:
An option to consider, although it won't give you hi-def. Use a UHF modulator on each of your units set to different channels, and feed all of your TV's with the mixed signal. Then you can tune any tv in your house to any source device.

With IR repeaters, or RF remotes, you can control the dvr's remotely.

Carl
Yeah but its all about the HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.