DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked my HR20-700 to my router using an ethernet cable. I went thru the setup on the HR20 and got the message saying Congrats you're network is connected. I have sent 3 different things from the Directv on Demand to record but have nothing yet. The first request was sent 2 days ago and I got an email saying I requested a recording. The second I got no email and the 3rd I got another email. Still nothing. I have used my laptop and work computer to request these, but nothing.Any ideas? This is the first time I've tried using this.

Thanks
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
bigwad said:
I hooked my HR20-700 to my router using an ethernet cable. I went thru the setup on the HR20 and got the message saying Congrats you're network is connected. I have sent 3 different things from the Directv on Demand to record but have nothing yet. The first request was sent 2 days ago and I got an email saying I requested a recording. The second I got no email and the 3rd I got another email. Still nothing. I have used my laptop and work computer to request these, but nothing.Any ideas? This is the first time I've tried using this.

Thanks
Have you looked at the queue to see if it shows any of the recordings as being "paused" or anything else? Do the recordings show up in your queue? Also, how do you have the internet set up for the DVR -> are you using a static IP address or are you using the default settings?
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen any "queues". I haven't done anything to set up my internet connection. I went by the setup guide and enabled everything thru the HR20. I just found a post that gives step by step info on setting my computer up. I'm going to see if that will work when I get home. I never realized the things I had to do past the HR20 setup. I imagine there are many more out there in the same boat. Thanks for your response and I'm hoping this step by step guide will solve my problems.

Another question, Will I need to do anything different with my laptop versus my PC? And can I send recording info from a computer outside my home?I have the ethernet cable running from my router to the HR20. Thanks for everything
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
bigwad said:
I have not seen any "queues". I haven't done anything to set up my internet connection. I went by the setup guide and enabled everything thru the HR20. I just found a post that gives step by step info on setting my computer up. I'm going to see if that will work when I get home. I never realized the things I had to do past the HR20 setup. I imagine there are many more out there in the same boat. Thanks for your response and I'm hoping this step by step guide will solve my problems.

Another question, Will I need to do anything different with my laptop versus my PC? And can I send recording info from a computer outside my home?I have the ethernet cable running from my router to the HR20. Thanks for everything
Laptop or PC shouldn't make any difference, and yes you can schedule a recording from anywhere there is an internet connection and you can log on to your DTV account. I would suggest using a static IP address, assigning that address as taken in your router, and then use your routers IP address for the default gateway and DNS server. This should make things easier for you! If you go to your On Demand menu, I think the yellow button will show you anything that is in the queue (look for it on your On Demand screen - the yellow button may be wrong).

Good luck!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your help. I lived in Wisconsin at a much younger age, but I'm still a BIG Packer fan. I love your avatar! BTW, Packers first Favre second. Altho I did get a Favre jersey last year! I'm rooting for the Jets just because we get a higher draft pick the better they do.


GO PACKERS!!!!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rudeney said:
Have you tried to request a VOD download directly on the receiver? Maybe the problem isn't the receiver's network connection, but the online scheduling.
Haven't tried that. Why would the online scheduling be a problem? I can tell it to record from my computer using the TV Listings from work. I'm hoping when I get home to try the set up from another thread.

I use the computer at work to tell my HR20 to record, not the computer at home. Didn't know if I was confusing anyone, but myself, that is.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
bigwad said:
I appreciate your help. I lived in Wisconsin at a much younger age, but I'm still a BIG Packer fan. I love your avatar! BTW, Packers first Favre second. Altho I did get a Favre jersey last year! I'm rooting for the Jets just because we get a higher draft pick the better they do.

GO PACKERS!!!!
I almost bought a Favre jersey last year - now I'm glad I got the AJ Hawk one instead! I still root for Favre as well - but definitely #2 to the Packers! We need some good draft picks, we didn't even have a 1st rounder this year:( I am hoping to get out to the Jets game against the Chiefs (during the Packers bye week) this year - and will plan on wearing the AJ Hawk jersey when I go!
 

· MRVing
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
It's not unusual for the HR20 to queue up VODs but not actually download them. Not sure what is going on there but a reboot of the HR20 has always been the fix for me.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starchy77 said:
I almost bought a Favre jersey last year - now I'm glad I got the AJ Hawk one instead! I still root for Favre as well - but definitely #2 to the Packers! We need some good draft picks, we didn't even have a 1st rounder this year:( I am hoping to get out to the Jets game against the Chiefs (during the Packers bye week) this year - and will plan on wearing the AJ Hawk jersey when I go!
My inlaws have Packer season tickets and gave both my daughter and me Favre jerseys. I was hoping he'd retire as a Packer. I really like Rogers and think in the long run, all Packer fans will be glad he's now the man. Enjoy the game if you get to go. Favre should be able to put on a pretty good show against KC!
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
bigwad said:
Haven't tried that. Why would the online scheduling be a problem? I can tell it to record from my computer using the TV Listings from work. I'm hoping when I get home to try the set up from another thread.

I use the computer at work to tell my HR20 to record, not the computer at home. Didn't know if I was confusing anyone, but myself, that is.
As long as you can get into your D* online account, it should not matter which computer you use to schedule the recording. The scheduling command is not coming form your PC - it's coming from D*. In fact, the command is transmitted to the receiver over the satellite signal and not via Internet.

What I am wondering is if your receiver can see the VOD server at all. If it can't then online scheduling is futile. Basically, I would test VOD first by browsing and downloading using the receiver's remote. Once that works, then online scheduling should work (and if not, then it might be some strange account setting D* will need to adjust for you).
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rudeney said:
As long as you can get into your D* online account, it should not matter which computer you use to schedule the recording. The scheduling command is not coming form your PC - it's coming from D*. In fact, the command is transmitted to the receiver over the satellite signal and not via Internet.

What I am wondering is if your receiver can see the VOD server at all. If it can't then online scheduling is futile. Basically, I would test VOD first by browsing and downloading using the receiver's remote. Once that works, then online scheduling should work (and if not, then it might be some strange account setting D* will need to adjust for you).
Thanks, I got it working. I don't think it made a difference, but I switched ports and did a setup again. Tried it first with the remote, then the laptop from d*.com. Worked both times. Thanks again
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top